Ever hear a great player that you just didn't like?

Jwalker99

Strat-Talker
Apr 7, 2019
Chicago
Joe Bonnamasa is a great player, smart, funny, is accessible thru 100s if YouTube interviews where he plays and he is the most my famous f guitar collector. That said, his music is stuffed w guitar solos. I prefer well rounded music like steeley Dan, Dire Straits or Elton John

hogrider16

Strat-Talker
Jul 26, 2017
Martinsburg, WV
Technical proficiency doesn't always make for great listening IMO.
Nailed it. You can program a computer to play technically proficient music. It doesn't mean anyone wants to listen to it. I used to be a big Yngwie Malsteen fan. Then as I bought more of his music I realized that he's just pulling the same rabbit out of a different hat. After about the second album, it all started to sound alike.

JayCee453

Strat-Talk Member
Jun 5, 2018
SE England
Noone is going to much like listening to guitar players who play in a genre/style they don't care to listen to.
Perhaps a more interesting twist on the question is whether there are players whose musical style/genre is very much to your taste, and yet you don't care for what they do in that space.

Yelemusic

Strat-Talk Member
May 7, 2011
Munich
Just about every Youtube-phenomenon-guitarist you can think of. There might me a few exceptions, but mostly these more than perfect players with more than perfect playing AND marketing skills have nothing to do with music IMHO. It's a combination sports and showing-off!
Also, I'm not interested in perfection, as imperfection makes us human (and more interesting)

nomadh

Strat-Talker
Mar 25, 2010
San Diego CA
This ties right in with the Jeff Beck thread. He’s one of if not the most incredible players ever IMO but he just doesn’t have the songwriting chops and I rarely want to just listen to instrumentals. He does it amazingly though and that’s what you expect from him but yea I’d put him in that category.
Jb may be the guy that defines this question. I did get into there and back with hammer for som reason

Bob Spumoni

Senior Stratmaster
May 5, 2019
New England
After damn near 60 years , anything he plays will sound like something he’s already played ........

...which means there's been no growth over all that time. I do think he's important in the history of popular music, as one who imported a marginally more legit blues vocabulary into popular music, but I just don't care about that stuff, at all. I care about the music, and his is cliche-ridden, muscle-memory-driven dreck.

I can listen to a Django number every day for eternity and discover something new each time, the same for a piece of Scriabin's solo piano music, and so on. If I have to listen to Layla one more time, I might go postal.

dirocyn

Most Honored Senior Member
Jan 20, 2018
Murfreesboro, TN
Nailed it. You can program a computer to play technically proficient music. It doesn't mean anyone wants to listen to it. I used to be a big Yngwie Malsteen fan. Then as I bought more of his music I realized that he's just pulling the same rabbit out of a different hat. After about the second album, it all started to sound alike.

Agree completely. I'm impressed by his speed as a matter of athletics, but it doesn't move me. Kinda like how I'm impressed by Usain Bolt's running, but still find footraces boring. I just don't care who's fastest. Are they going somewhere interesting? Doing something interesting when they get there? No. Why watch, then?

Baelzebub

Dr. Stratster
Nov 1, 2019
State of Disbelief
Agree completely. I'm impressed by his speed as a matter of athletics, but it doesn't move me. Kinda like how I'm impressed by Usain Bolt's running, but still find footraces boring. I just don't care who's fastest. Are they going somewhere interesting? Doing something interesting when they get there? No. Why watch, then?

Great analogy. Another would be Nascar. But that at least has the occasional crash to break up the stultifying boredom of people driving in a continual left turn. At least with a footrace the scenery changes.

beeflin

Strat-Talker
Jan 15, 2011
Totnes, England
Yeah, specifically Vai and Holdsworth, two great exponents of the World Record Attempt school of music. I saw AH live on the Soft Machine Bundles tour and he couldn't play in time with the band at high speed, only at his maximum speed. Had to keep pausing to get back in time. That is not funky.

BigDan

Strat-Talker
Jan 8, 2021
Columbia sc
Warren Hayes. The Faces just make me laugh and feel embarrassed for him. He sure can play though.
I probably make funny faces trying not to make them but he is so extreme. I mean you just got to be able to control that.

BigDan

Strat-Talker
Jan 8, 2021
Columbia sc
Great analogy. Another would be Nascar. But that at least has the occasional crash to break up the stultifying boredom of people driving in a continual left turn. At least with a footrace the scenery changes.
Thats a good analogy for the last twenty years of NASCAR and the last forty of R&R. Nascar died with Earnhardt.R&R with Disco and MTV.