Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Ever Just Play Awful?

Discussion in 'The Online Jam Forum' started by Astroman, Jun 7, 2014.

1. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh needs you to go ahead and come in on Sunday, too. Strat-Talk Supporter

Jan 10, 2014
    Initech, Inc.
    I'm right there with you. Even one beer and I'm noticeably sloppier.

2. BarryR

BarryR Senior Stratmaster

Jul 18, 2014
    Southern California

3. hornpiper

hornpiper Senior Stratmaster

Apr 23, 2014
    Portland, OR
    I'll make an exception for Willy. He's GOT to have some killer weed.

4. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh needs you to go ahead and come in on Sunday, too. Strat-Talk Supporter

Jan 10, 2014
    Initech, Inc.
    I haven't partaken since college... He's certainly got the higher tolerance.
    Oh, I'm sure he has the hookups.

5. michplayer

michplayer Senior Stratmaster

Jul 2, 2014
    Michigan
    The other night in fact.
    Was guesting on guitar with a friend's band, but gave up after twenty minutes because nothing was going right. My fingers were being stupid and my ear wasn't helping... am I sharp, or flat?... I just set my ax down and listened to myself not sucking, my absence was an improvement.

6. Lovnmesomestrat

Lovnmesomestrat Strat-O-Master

May 11, 2014
    At Home

7. 335eye

335eye Senior Stratmaster

Aug 23, 2012
    Scottsdale
    I've played well enough times after playing crappy that it doesn't bother me when I play crappy. I know good playing is just around the corner.

BallisticSquid likes this.

8. ToneRanger

ToneRanger Most Honored Senior Member

Jun 8, 2009
    Area 51
    Some of my worst times were sitting in with musicians who were themselves lousy - it's like they bring you down to their level - especially in the rhythm section.
    I've had to play with drummers who had rotten timing (I mean, why even play drums?) and it was like trying to tap dance on quicksand. You're trying to hit the beat but no one else is - it's like a moving target - and you can't relax and go with the flow because THERE IS NONE - ugh.
    Same thing with bass players - you try to zig and they zag - you are playing what should be the progression and they are off somewhere else - and you both end up sounding bad.
    Grrrr...

9. michplayer

Jul 2, 2014
    Michigan
    I play with some friends that are well-meaning. They always want me to take a solo, but I decline.
    Because I know that when I do, I'll be listening to three different people playing three different meters and the backing is simply too chaotic- no solo will sound right over that!
    But they don't hear themselves.

10. ToneRanger

ToneRanger Most Honored Senior Member

Jun 8, 2009
    Area 51
    Yeah - to paraphrase a famous quote "'Never jam with a tone deaf/time deaf musician. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience."

11. michplayer

Jul 2, 2014
    Michigan
    And these are good friends so it's hard to decline gracefully. They just don't get that a slopfest behind the soloist will be impossible to play over, to say nothing of the fact that nobody can ever figure out how many measures to play and have everyone come out on the same beat.

12. BryMelvin

BryMelvin Strat-O-Master

Feb 13, 2014
    AZ
    :oops:Funny this should come up. I got a request Sunday during an electric Jam that I usually play on friday night at another place on a classical guitar.

I really regret doing that piece on a strat:oops:

13. BarryR

BarryR Senior Stratmaster

Jul 18, 2014
    Southern California
    Nothing can bring me down, not even a deaf musician with no timing because I can't go any lower at the moment. On the bright side, it's all up hill from here.

joebloggs likes this.

14. michplayer

Jul 2, 2014
    Michigan
    Perspective is funny. When I back off, my friends ask why, because they generally don't hear my mistakes.
    They've come to accept that when I set my guitar down, I've reached that point.
    "Dude, you sound awesome!"

"No. No I do not!"

15. Percy

Percy Most Honored Senior Member

this is why Jam is a four letter word....

16. billgwx

billgwx Strat-Talker

Jan 23, 2011
    Centereach NY
    Just the other night at a band rehearsal, my rhythm playing was fine, but I could not solo my way out of a paper bag. My fingers and the vintage frets on my Strat just do not get along...constantly slide past notes, whereas that rarely happens on my Tele with bigger frets (medium jumbos?).

17. kaicho8888

kaicho8888 Strat-Talker

Oct 21, 2009
    San Francisco, CA
    ...usually, you screw up and nobody knows except you. On bad days, just simplify your riffs. :)

18. otto6457

otto6457 Strat-O-Master

I just played so awful I put my guitar up and I'm posting on Strat Talk. So irritated right now.

19. remek

remek Strat-Talker

I go through hot/cold spells. I think its tied to life stress. if things are too stressful I step all over myself playing.

20. davidKOS

davidKOS Retired Performer Strat-Talk Supporter

May 28, 2012
    California
    It's almost impossible to get something happening over a mess.

Where's one? Where are the chord changes? and so on......

If I'm stressed I do not play as well as when I'm relaxed. Nor am I as likely to be a happy smiling trouper.

I'm going to be honest, I've been playing in front of people so long that I can get by on a bad night - but I know when I'm off. I wind up playing simpler just to make it happen at all, and if I don't concentrate I will mess up simple things, like cowboy chords or slow melodies, just to slap me back in line!

Oh yeah, there are those days and nights that I would prefer to have a redo button, for sure.