Join Strat-Talk Today

Ever met a big celebrity?

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by mikej89, Feb 11, 2019.

1. Alan Crossley

Alan Crossley Senior Stratmaster

2C9EBA58-D854-4749-9950-85C3B765CF44.jpeg View attachment 326161

I’m not going to drop any big names, Prince Charles told me that it’s bad form to name drop.:sneaky:

However, I did have a chat to his mum when my youngest daughter and I were in London in April last year. She doesn’t play, but did say she likes to sing in the bath with Phillip.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
    larscaster, Nate D, rolandson and 3 others like this.
  2. mfranzdorf

mfranzdorf Strat-O-Master

I’ve met a bunch of motocross guys/ ladies. Indy car drivers (Mario himself! I almost ran over him in a restaurant parking lot when he stepped into my path a couple years ago after the Indy race at Mid-Ohio.),

I also met Hacksaw Jim Duggan at a hockey game.

3. Alan Crossley

:p
    I also met EC and his then wife Pattie at a Dire Straits concert in Guildford Civil Hall in November 1982. I was sat in the row in front of them with Ed Bicknell. I shook Eric and Pattie by the hand and wished them both a very happy Christmas. :rolleyes:

shovelmike likes this.
  4. nutball73

nutball73 Senior Stratmaster

In the 90s I published a motorcycle magazine, and as a journo I got to know most of the GP and World Superbike riders very well. Lost a few friends along the way too, sadly.

Oh, and me and my wife baby-sat current MotoGP rider Cal Crutchlow when he was about 7 years old during the Spa 24 hours while his Dad raced.

I’ll take this opportunity to name check John Cantlie, a fellow journo from that time who has been held captive by ISIS for over 6 years. We pray he is still alive.

5. Alan Crossley

Living in Guildford, Surry is great for meeting celebrities. I have a great story about Phill Collins, met Chris Stainton when passing water in a pub toilet at a break in a concert at a local pub. The Queen Mother in Windsor Gt Park.

The list goes on from my days working with CBS Records in Aylesbury ~ lunch with Adam Ant (I wouldn’t normally admit to this one), several during my time with HTV television studios.

The memorable people were always the most genuine and dignified. Some of the upcoming were real parts.

ukoldgit likes this.
  6. Chont

Chont Most Honored Senior Member

I’ve met a bunch of Folks you see on screen being in the field I’m in.

When I was working more in Film it was mostly actors and actresses. Now that I’m in broadcast news world Its pundits, anchors and talking heads.

Some are goons, some are A-holes and some are really nice just like people I guess

7. ukoldgit

ukoldgit Senior Stratmaster

I once smuggled bacon for the late Lady Di.

Alan Crossley and tery like this.
  8. nutball73

nutball73 Senior Stratmaster

Is that a euphemism?

9. shovelmike

shovelmike Senior Stratmaster

I had a very pleasant conversation with Ray Hildebrand (Paul, of Paul and Paula) when he performed at our church. A very nice guy.
    After Harry Chapin played at The Uptown in KC, he did a meet and greet. Just a handshake, and an opportunity to express my appreciation for his storytelling songs. That was '79, he was tragically killed in '81.

Nate D likes this.
  10. ukoldgit

ukoldgit Senior Stratmaster

No, it was a 7lb pack of Walls bacon.

JohnMac and Alan Crossley like this.
  11. albala

albala Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

My gf lived in the Fuzzy Door house at RISD in college. Seth MacFarlane was a roommate. We drank many Rolling Rocks together.

I used to see a lot of Blues Traveler / HORDE showswith various lamenants and I met all of BT, Derek Trucks, Warren Haynes

3bolt79 likes this.
  12. Chont

Chont Most Honored Senior Member

Here's a handful of folks I've encountered in my world.

TV/Film

Ron Howard
    Sigourney Weaver
    Mike Myers
    Anne Meara
    Chevy Chase
    Edward Burns
    Mary Stuart Masterson
    Liv Tyler
    Morgan Freeman
    Frank Oz
    Annabela Sciorra
    Marisa Tomei
    Bob Balaban
    Anthony Bourdain
    Jenna Bush
    Al Roker
    Kate Snow
    Megyn Kelly
    Savannah Guthrie
    Chuck Todd
    Al Sharpton

Musicians:

Nicko McBrain - Iron Maiden

Missed a golden opportunity to meet Steve Harris of Iron Maiden. I've never forgiven myself for that one.

Assisted on a Seven Mary Three record. Those guys were REALLY friendly.

Tori Amos

Buck Dharma - My mom lived nextdoor to him growing up so I've met up with him an a few occasions when BOC came to town.

13. 64 Tele

64 Tele Strat-O-Master

My claim to near fame was playing guitar in backing band for Ronnie Dunn (pre Brooks and Dunn) in 1984.
    Drummer for backing band was Jamie Oldaker (Eric Clapton band) who was also from Tulsa and in between tours. Jamie was really nice, unassuming fellow and spent several hours hearing tales from the road from him before the show.
    Ronnie Dunn's first solo album went nowhere, but I knew he'd be huge at some point. Seven years later I'm driving down the road and the first single from Brooks and Dunn's first album (Brand New Man was the single) came on the radio and I damn near drove off the road....:thumb:

Nate D and Boognish like this.
  14. shovelmike

shovelmike Senior Stratmaster

Indeed, Brooks and Dunn made some really good music together.

Nate D likes this.
  15. Boognish

Boognish Senior Stratmaster

Care to elaborate on how that came about?

16. Boognish

Boognish Senior Stratmaster

I was at Congress Ave Barber Shop about 10 years ago waiting to get my wig trimmed and in walks Chris Layton (Drummer for Double Trouble) and chats it up with one of the barbers. I couldn't get it together long enough to talk to him! He hung around for about 10 minutes and left. I had to pick my jaw up off the floor.

Same barber shop about 2 months ago....Lyle Lovett walks in and is sitting right in front of my while getting my haircut. As I was leaving he had to move his knee out of the way so I could get out the door and he said "Howdy Pardner" and I didn't know how to react to that comment so I just said "Yes" and hauled tail out of the barber shop cause I looked like an idiot! I was caught off guard and didn't know how to react!

Numbercruncher and Nate D like this.
  17. bob_66

bob_66 Strat-Talker

Met a few ,most unusual was sitting pi***d on a nightclub stairwell in between two space invader machines arguing with Phil Lynott over a bag of scampi fries! A real hero of mine at the time and so sad to see how far he had declined in person. A year later he died.

CeltRocka and nutball73 like this.
  18. Lonn

Lonn Mod Admin Staff Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Admin Post
    Most of the famous people I've met have been political types (Bush Sr, Clinton, Colin Powell). Talked to Paul McCartney on the hone once (he was ordering mint chocolate chip from the Baskin Robbins I worked at while living in London during high school). I was an extra on a mini series once and met E.G. Marshall and Victoria Tennant.

larscaster and usul1978 like this.
  19. albala

albala Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
    larscaster likes this.
  20. usul1978

usul1978 Guitar bricolo Strat-Talk Supporter

I cycled by mikhaïl gorbatchev once, in Germany.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.