Ever met a famous person before?

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by mikej89, May 8, 2020.

1. smithstrato

smithstrato Senior Stratmaster

As famous as a Plumber can get my cousin is the Plumber on "Ask This Old House".
    He is a few years older than me and I remember when we used to visit from Chicago to Mass.
    I recollect one time I was left behind while the group went golfing I hung around the pool all day drinking soda and putting it back in the pool ,if ya know what I mean...I was a vengeful 8yr old , I just didn"t know it then.
    I thought it kind of ironic now , they all came back and jumped in my toilet.:confused:

2. LeicaBoss

LeicaBoss Senior Stratmaster

I've had a few, includig
    • BB King (Played and signed my guitar)
    • Brett Ratner (terrible director)
    • Hugh Heffner
    • The Zucker Brothers (from Airplane! fame)
    • Billy Ray Cyrus (total gentleman)
    • The members of Boyz II Men (Shawn had a little dog also named "Shawn")
    • Wayne Newton (Kissed my mom)
    • George Clooney (Stayed in my hotel in Italy and got fall down drunk at the little cantina one evening)
    • Alec Baldwin (brief NYC street encounter)
    • Dennis Leary
    • Rudy Giuliani
    • Michael Jordan

Engine Swap likes this.
  3. trapdoor2

trapdoor2 Senior Stratmaster

I stood under the eaves of a hangar door with Bear Bryant one rainy afternoon (1977?). He asked me if I was in school, told me to stay in school and shook my hand. I didn't really know who he was at the time...but the Airport secretary asked me what he said to me. I said, "What? The old guy over there?" She clued me in. I always found it amusing that I can still tell that story (in Alabama) and people look at my hand like it had been blessed.

All the rest of my encounters with famous people have been with aviators like Jimmy Doolittle, Adolf Galland, Pappy Boyington, Burt Rutan, Steve Whitman, etc., during 'meet and greet' sessions at the EAA Airshow in Oshkosh, Wi (1970-1981).

4. Rudedawg

Rudedawg Strat-Talker

Met John Goodman in the bar of Pat O'Brien's down in New Orleans many years ago.

Last edited: May 8, 2020
    CajunJ likes this.
  5. jwj1701

jwj1701 Strat-Talker

Back in the late 80’s I met Bruce Kulick and Eric Carr when they were part of KISS. It was late at night at a truck stop on Corbin KY. They were touring and headed to Knoxville TN for an upcoming show. My mother worked there and it was no surprise to a small town when a huge tour bus stopped in. Anyway, I walked in and Mom saw me and called me over because she waited on them and pointed them out. They were both very nice and polite, (that’s what impressed mom of course), but she asked if I could come over and I got autographs and spoke to them. All very cool. When I was in radio I was working ( if you call covering UK football and basketball working), met Rick Pitino and NFL HOFer Bill Curry, assorted players etc.

6. The Strat Dude

The Strat Dude Posy rules! Strat-Talk Supporter

Tanya Harding:oops:

7. Engine Swap

Engine Swap Strat-Talker

About as close as I get...

I'm holding the mic J Lo used at the Super Bowl this year.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. CephasG

CephasG Senior Stratmaster

Love the commercial: "What did you just call me? My name is Daryl."

9. henderman

henderman Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

i delivered walter payton"s car to his home from the body shop i worked in during high school. he was extremely rude to me and called my boss to cuss him out for "letting some punk kid drive his car".

well they let the young punks score touchdowns in his only superbowl appearance instead of him ha ha famous boy.

rafasounds and jtoomuch like this.
  10. albala

albala Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

The band Blues Traveler many times
    Warren Haynes
    Steven Tyler on vacation in Cancun
    my gf went to RISD and lived in 'the fuzzy door house' with Seth MacFarlane. I drank many Rolling Rocks with him.

11. musicalmartin

musicalmartin Strat-Talker

Lots of F1 motor racing drivers and champions .You name up to a few years ago .I used to write and photograph for Japanese motor sport magazines.I met Chris Rea informally and had lunch with him at Silverstone,nice guy .Various Royalty when I worked in model soldier shop in London .
    My favorites were Peter Ustinov who came in our shop often and Mario Andretti at Brands Hatch.True gents and Ustinov was always hilarious .
    My daughter does quite well .Brian May is a local friend via wildlife .She knows lots of racing drivers as she is ,ahem ...pretty, and was my camera gopher since the age of 15 .She then married an F3 team manger so knew all the drivers such as Mansell ,Vettel etc

dublindave8456 likes this.
  12. Paperback Rocker

Paperback Rocker Intruder alert! Intruder alert! Strat-Talk Supporter

Metallica
    Megadeth
    Slayer
    Anthrax
    Faith No More
    Soundgarden
    Pearl Jam
    Alice in Chains

13. 64 Tele

64 Tele Strat-O-Master

Ronnie Dunn (Brooks and Dunn) when he was a solo artist (I think album was on MCA)
    and Jamie Oldaker (Eric Clapton's drummer from 461 Ocean Blvd for the next 9-10 years).
    We did an artist showcase for Ronnie Dunn at Billy Bob's Texas in 1984.
    I was playing second guitar slot with other Tulsa musicians. I didn't know who the drummer
    was till we took a break at first rehearsal. I asked the other guitar player who the drummer was as I
    didn't recognize him. After he told me who he was, I was really intimidated, but Jamie Oldaker was
    really nice, low key. Spent a couple hours talking to him about life on the road with Eric Clapton.
    Ronnie Dunn had "that voice" even then. Lost track of him after the showcase till early 90's when
    he paired up with Kix Brooks and their first album came out.
    I was driving down the road and the first single "Brand New Man" came on the radio and I damn near drove off the road.
    My claim to near fame.....
    Same showcase....The Judds. Mom was nice, Wynona b*tched to everybody about everything.
    Sawyer Brown.....their guitar player was impressed by my matching blackface Deluxe Reverbs I was using (this was before reissues) and asked to use them for their slot and I said sure.

14. marksound

marksound Strat-Talker

There have been a few over the years. Most recently, Ranger Doug from Riders in the Sky.

Engine Swap likes this.
  15. thomquietwolf

thomquietwolf Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

I was 19
    So
    I thought him boring
    But
    I was 19
    And
    What was someone that old doing at a teen party...

16. Miotch

Miotch Senior Stratmaster

Met Muhammad Ali once. Very nice guy. I was too proud to ask for an autograph. Foolish.

Musically, Leon Russell, JJ Cale, Oldaker (who owned a bar here for a while). Actors, Gary Busey, Gaylord Sartain and Jeanne Tripplehorn. All of those were just happenstance introductions because I've lived in the same town for nearly 60 years. Nothing more than a "nice to meet you" other than with Leon, who shot the **** with me and a friend for a few minutes when we saw him sitting by the old river ampitheater as we were goofing around in a little paddleboat.

Elvin Bishop because his equipment didn't show up and his local contact rented my old SR for his show here in Tulsa. I got $300, free ticket, free drinks and a handshake from Elvin, in exchange for letting him play through my amp for a night. Pretty good deal, in my world. I would have loaned him the amp for nothing in return. Also met Debbie Harry because a co-worker at the newspaper was interviewing her.

Athletically: Thurman Thomas and Leslie O'Neal when I was sports editor on OSU newspaper and before they went to NFL. A.C. Green at my daughter's college graduation. Coaches Bill Self and Barry Switzer. Met a lot of others, but don't know if they would be "famous."

A person I met and interviewed that should be famous, but probably no one has heard of, was Travis Hoover. He was the pilot on the No. 2 B-25, right behind Doolittle, on the raid on Tokyo off the deck of the carrier Hornet. Fascinating story he had of the training, takeoff, raid, ditching off of China and getting out of China. Should have interviewed him more in depth and written a book.

None of those people would have any idea who I am.

Stratafied likes this.
  17. Stratafied

Stratafied Senior Stratmaster

Pics !!

18. Stratafied

Stratafied Senior Stratmaster

Joe Namath ..Sonny Bono.

19. Duane_the_tub

Duane_the_tub Strat-Talker

Alec Baldwin
    Kurt Vonnegut
    Jeffrey Wright
    Paul Rudd
    David Hyde Pierce
    Fiona Apple
    David Ortiz, Curt Schilling, Jason Varitek, Keith Foulke (all 2004 Red Sox players)
    John Williams (Star Wars composer)
    Joe Bonamassa
    Kathleen Turner
    Mikaela Shiffrin
    David Cassidy
    Evander Holyfield

I sold booze to Vonnegut, Apple, Turner and Holyfield when I worked at a liquor store in NYC. Everyone on this list was at least semi-friendly except Baldwin. I've met Bonamassa a few times; I wrote an arts cover story about him for a newspaper and he played a Les Paul of mine backstage before one of his concerts:

Bonamassa.jpg

20. tery

tery Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

I met Santa Claus .

ukoldgit and albala like this.