Join Strat-Talk Today

Ever own a pointy guitar?

Discussion in 'Other Guitar Discussion' started by Lonn, May 30, 2017.

1. SurfsUp

SurfsUp Senior Stratmaster

For a while in the 80's as a solo artist in Frehley's Comet Ace did a stint with Washburn......If I ever saw one of these up for grabs I'd snag it, just because.....

Ace.jpg

2. RevBillyG

RevBillyG Strat-Talker

I wondered what happened to him. Too bad it didn't work out with Joni. She was cute.

3. jaybones

jaybones Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

My Samick donor for my first partscaster project had a pointy headstock, but other than that it was MIJ Stratocaster all the way.

During the build the neck swap was a CBS type headstock neck.

I have a Jackson copy Betamann I got as part of a 3 guitar buy. (With strat and tele copies, all same brand for a little more than $100 each. Couldn't refuse, and thought if I didn't like the pointy I'd flip it, but once I saw how nice it was decided I'd keep it. Doesn't every arsenal need a shredder?)

All back (is there any other color?), FR, EMG knock off HB's, shark tooth inlays with very dark FB (either stained RW or ebony, doubt it).

Me to! Me to! Me to! Me to!

Knew a guy who sort of played drums who had a Guild Burnside The Lance purple vee. Gold HW, FR, HB, pretty sweet.

Guy wanted $100 for it, or he'd take some of my special homegrown herbs. Wasn't harvest time, and I couldn't come up with the cash so he found someone who traded an OZ of commercially grown.

4. Neil.C

Neil.C Most Honored Senior Member

Going by the signatures on that pink thing, he was probably giving it away as a prize! :sneaky:

Beck, a denizen of my own county, is known for his Tele with the Yardbirds, later with a Les Paul.

Then he went all funny and got a Strat. :eek:

mshivy likes this.
  5. TheDuck

TheDuck Most Honored Senior Member

Beck used that pink Jackson in the video he did with Rod Steward for the song People Get Ready.
    Which, for what its worth, is one of, if not the best version of that song Ive ever heard.

Namelyguitar and axis69 like this.
  6. Jimi Lightning

Jimi Lightning Most Honored Senior Member

Couple of pics of my pointy guitars. The Bich was a replacement for my original 80s NJ series and the 1981Destroyer. No pics handy of the pickle stabber V. Have GAS now for another pointy guitar in conflict with an urge for a SG?.....arghhhhh

image.jpeg

Attached Files:

7. wmachine

wmachine Strat-Talker

Forgot about my Bich until you posted yours!

[​IMG][/QUOTE]

8. wmachine

wmachine Strat-Talker

As long as we're including Mockingbirds....
    [​IMG]

9. Namelyguitar

Namelyguitar Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

There may be a Jackson "pointy" in my future. :whistling:

RevBillyG likes this.
  10. Ebidis

Ebidis Providing the world with flat bends since 1985 Strat-Talk Supporter

As much as I love my Strats and Teles, I do think that the super strats play amazingly well, and with the right pickups (of your prefference) also sound fantastic. I would (and have) rock a good Jackson, Charvell, Ibanez, Kramer, ESP, etc in a heartbeat. Even though I'm not a "shredder". They are just excellent guitars. That's why I like my LTD, Great action, feel, tone, and sustain. What's not to like.

mshivy and TheDuck like this.
  11. Ebidis

Ebidis Providing the world with flat bends since 1985 Strat-Talk Supporter

He used that guitar when he played with Tina Turner. She signed the guitar for him. As far as I know, he still has it.

12. axis69

axis69 Senior Stratmaster

He called it 'Tina' cuz she carved her name on the back of it.

Stark and Namelyguitar like this.
  13. axis69

axis69 Senior Stratmaster

My 1981 ibanez cs 400...has a great flametop. IMG_20170530_165115277.jpg

14. BryMelvin

BryMelvin Strat-O-Master Silver Member

The closest I have ever had was an HM tele and an HM strat a few years ago and a Yamaha RGZ I still have. The HM tele almost got me banned from TDPRI a few years ago when I asked if that style of headstock met the requirement of either a tele style body or neck in their build competition.:p:sneaky:

Robins likes this.
  15. anderz

anderz Senior Stratmaster

By 1993 with the thrash metal influence I had to a get pointy guitar and the local store had Ibanez Racket Roll in sunburst so my first guitar got traded in.

After a short while the non original locking tremolo got to me as I could not make it keep the tuning stable at all.

I put a new Gibson Explorer on order. Then tired of the waiting got Les Paul studio and a week later the Explorer came.

Anyway the seeds of the dream came in 1994 and it became a reality in 1996.

[​IMG]

Jackson original rhoads serial: RR2772 from the custom shop though I thought it just a catalog I put on order though the serial are only for custom shop Jacksons.

I was inspired by a catalog I got in 1994 after having watched Kirk Hammett playing a black string through in the Cliff'em'all vhs video. So I looked for a similar one and the Players Choice Section had the original Rhoads build for Randy Rhoads and I thought I could change pickups and love the rest.

I still own it and its been love from day 1. It is still 98% original as I have yet to get to change pickups and the thoughts on that.

mshivy, Stratonini, RevBillyG and 2 others like this.
  16. GuitarMechanic

GuitarMechanic Most Honored Senior Member

NICE ! ! !
    I have a couple SS with pointy headstock and I did have a Washburn A-10 once though I really wouldn't call it "pointy"
    Got an Explorer on the way but I dont really call that pointy either

anderz likes this.
  17. Oaj1990

Oaj1990 Strat-Talker

I pretty much learned to play on a Gibson faded V. A friend from high school let me borrow it for like 2 years(his parents were loaded). Would gladly play a Jackson or ESP super strat style with a Floyd if I ever got back into metal.

18. Neil.C

Neil.C Most Honored Senior Member

It's a brilliant track alright, the Jeff Beck group were great.

With Ronnie Wood alongside Rod and Jeff (who later left to start the Faces with the remnants of the Small Faces) they had a superb line up.

I have my doubts he used the Jackson on the track but with the effects he used it could have been anything.

When I saw him play it live he had a Strat.

TheDuck likes this.
  19. TheDuck

TheDuck Most Honored Senior Member

Beck used the Jackson Soloist for a short time. Ive seen a few live videos and pics of him with it.

99.9% of the time though, Ive only seen Beck with a Strat.

Neil.C likes this.
  20. syncopa

syncopa Strat-Talker

Found a pic of my Parker DFR 522 FR one of a kind NAMM show... weighs less than 5 lbs.

2011-02-19_15-12-01_529.jpg

Total Shredder!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.