Join Strat-Talk Today

Ever Struggle with a Seemingly Simple Song ?

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by dueducs, Dec 10, 2019.

1. dueducs

dueducs Senior Stratmaster

I still can't properly play and sing "Hey Joe" or "Soul Man" at the same time... anomalies. I can do one or the other, but not both. Simple, yet difficult. But I do really well with "Pride and Joy" and R.E.M.'s "Driver Eight", both much more complicated than the ones I am struggling with.
    For years I have wanted to learn "Play That Funky Music" and I finally got around to working on it this past weekend. I picked out the bass line phrase, the basic chords, then elaborated on those a little until I felt it was pretty close. Still, it didn't sound quite right, so I consulted the mighty interwebs for a little help.
    Turns out, my ear was very close, yet I am still struggling with the syncopated rhythm over a set chord progression.
    Two days of practice and the playing is getting better, but I think this is one I'm going to have to work on for a while.

Ever run into seemingly simple songs that give you trouble? Which ones?

2. heltershelton

heltershelton BANNED Strat-Talk Supporter

Yep....theres one cover we do and i screw my part up every time. I told the guys last saturday.... I keep meesin up that part, and they said..... So does the guy that wrote it.
    But im gonna keep workin on it til i get it poifect.

3. jbylake

jbylake Regular Dude Strat-Talk Supporter

Hell, you might not believe this, but I still can't get the "Tommy James and the Shondells" Criimson and clover song right. Three chords, that's it, but I don't know if it's old ltape delay or what, but I can't get that song or sound right PS, any guy's my age know how they got that vibe down? If you do, please let me know. :D:D

J.

Stratafied and dueducs like this.
  4. dueducs

dueducs Senior Stratmaster

Try the Joan Jett version :D:D:D

Jimi Lightning likes this.
  5. heltershelton

Listen to a more modern version
    Then go play it.

jbylake likes this.
  6. jbylake

Guy, are you trying to do all of the parts by yourself. Not to insult anyone, but many of those songs from the Disco era, were incredibly over processed. Hell, I doubt the producer and sound engineer could do a "perfect" copy of it. If you can play SRV's "Pride and Joy", I'm quite sure that you can do "Play that...Music", you just need a multi-track recorder, or a full band backing you up.:D

Good luck, hope you figure it out.:D

heltershelton likes this.
  7. heltershelton

You're right....no way you can do 10.000.000 things at once.
    Play the progression.

fezz parka likes this.
  8. jbylake

Dude, that's rock 'n roll, but not even close to the original.:D Appreciate you taking the time to post this, but the old school version just had a vibe to it. If I could play like Steve Vai, or Satch or any of the greats, I'm not sure I can figure out the vibe on this Shondell's song.:)

9. jbylake

Hey guy, I'm laughing out loud. Not at you, I appreciate your answer, but that song came out about 30 years before disco Around '66 or 67. I don't blame you though, if you're not at least 50 to 60 years old, I don't expect you would know that. That's got to be one of the most classic replies I've ever got. But, again, you were trying to help me out, so I appreciate it.:D

10. Stark

Stark Still an idiot Strat-Talk Supporter

I struggle with everything that I play.

11. nigelr

nigelr Senior Stratmaster

Happy Birthday catches me out, every time I think I have it down we get to the middle bit and the words changed again. I guess there must be a hundred different versions of this song out there.

dueducs likes this.
  12. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Letting Agent Strat-Talk Supporter

Did you ever? All the time...

dueducs likes this.
  13. CigBurn

CigBurn Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Yeah, all the time. Sometimes a simple song goes well for a bit and then my mind starts to wander or I get distracted and I fall right off the rails.

14. Birdsong

Birdsong Strat-Talker

I’m not a singer . But have played for many singers and sometimes you make little adjustments in the song to flow with the singer . I guess I worded this right

thomquietwolf and dueducs like this.
  15. archetype

archetype Senior Stratmaster

Anything that Freddie King recorded. I think “Well, I could do that “ I can’t.

Deathray and dueducs like this.
  16. crawdaddy

crawdaddy Senior Stratmaster

Heck I hope I'm not the only one that struggles with the chord changes in "A Horse With no Name"....

It's a bear going from Em to D about 100 times :whistling::whistling: .....of course I jest....it's getting back to the Em chord thats hard....:eek::eek:

EDIT: before anyone corrects me on the exact chords....I really don't remember them, haven't played this tune in eons....just remembered it 2 chords and I felt like joking around...

Deathray likes this.
  17. nutball73

nutball73 Senior Stratmaster

The picking pattern for Jolene killed me when we did it at Leiden. I can do a reasonable facsimile, but I know it's not right. My fingers just refuse to do it.

18. 808K

808K Senior Stratmaster

I have trouble with simple riffs. Forget about singing. My fingers don’t behave themselves, not sure how to punish them.

Stratafied likes this.
  19. 3bolt79

3bolt79 Most Honored Senior Member

What are you talking about man....you were born during disco. Heck you may have been conceived to a KC and the Sunshine band record! Oh I’m sorry, I mistook your number of messages for your age. But really disco was a 70’s thing.

jbylake likes this.
  20. montemerrick

montemerrick t minus 30 and holding Strat-Talk Supporter

HTH:
    "When my pals at Spectropop and Forgotten Hits, the ‘60s and ‘70s music forums, heard I was interviewing Tommy they submitted six pages of questions. Two of those pages were filled with questions that basically asked, “How did you get that sound on “Crimson and Clover”?

Tommy said, “We had done the record with tremolo on the guitar. It’s just a built-in sound on guitar amplifiers. When I played the guitar, we recorded it with tremolo pretty much in synch with the music. In other words, we tried to make it so that it was vibrating at the same speed that the drums were playing. So we made the whole record that way. And then at the end, it was like one of those whimsical ideas, we said, “Why don’t we put it on the voice?” So that’s what we did, we ran the vocal mike through an Ampeg guitar amp, turned on the tremolo and miked it, and ran it back through the board. It was just that simple. What was so amazing, back then, if you wanted to make a sound wiggle, you had to basically do it yourself. There was no button you could push on a synthesizer, you basically had to build the circuits yourself and everything else. So that’s what we did, we just ran the vocal mike through the guitar amp, and then miked the amp and ran it back through the board.”"

Bob the builder, circles and Keith268 like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.