EVH dead at 65

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by Miotch, Oct 6, 2020.

1. Stonetone

Stonetone Senior Stratmaster

EVH has passed long live the king.... but he is immortal nonetheless, his music and his legacy will live on forever, he will still continue to influence and make people pickup the guitar, he will continue to inspire, he will live on.....

Last edited: Oct 7, 2020
    StratSounds and Wound_Up like this.
  2. axis69

axis69 Senior Stratmaster

You got that right...this and vh2 are the ones I listen to most consistently....what a fun album...the songs are a beautiful,wreckless party...

Evh was GUITAR since the 80s.The icon,God whatever.He was the face of guitar after all the dudes from the 60s.
    We've had all the shredders etc but none of them had the full package or songs impact like evh...He's responsible for all the bands and party scene on the sunset strip in the 80s. IMG_20201006_215250230.jpg

I've been listening to klos since yesterday and it's nonstop vh music only and tributes.Evh is that important to socal,his home.Vh was a fun party band.Not contrived,the real deal.
    The show he put on live with dlr was amazing...The songs put you in a good mood, uplifting.Been doing that for almost 40 yrs.Mentally it's hard to know the guy ain't here no more,he's always been around...since I can remember.

The pic above is the Roxy last.night ....so sad..no one there and closed cuz of covid...I mean,I have many great memories on the strip from the 80s....and vh kinda was the fuel for the 80s scene.

sam_in_cali and Boognish like this.
  3. stratfanGB

stratfanGB Strat-Talk Member

Thanks for the solo that starts "You Really Got Me" It still blows my mind!

Someday in rock and roll heaven, I want some lesson time with you.

4. Wound_Up

Wound_Up Senior Stratmaster

Wow. Just found out his ex-wife Val, and her family lived here in Shreveport. A friend of mine's stepfather use to run into her & Eddie all time back in the day and just happened to mention it on Facebook last night. Val and Eddie met here, backstage at a Van Halen concert at the Hirsch Memorial Coliseum in August 1980. Back then, Val's dad worked at the GM plant here and got transferred here at some point.

Lots of people around here have stories about him from when they use to be here all the time. Van Halen started 4 tours in Shreveport through the years. Had history-making shows here. I didn't realize Eddie was so closely tied to the place I call home.

https://710keel.com/the-history-of-eddi-van-halens-relationship-with-shreveport/

Deafsoundguy and Stonetone like this.
  5. Wound_Up

Wound_Up Senior Stratmaster

Yes he will. If Duane Allman is inspiring people to play 49 yrs after his death, I don't doubt that Eddie will have the same longevity. He was that influential.

Boognish, Stonetone and JJ119 like this.
  6. Mike_it_up

Mike_it_up Strat-Talk Member

This is great

HJR-, StratSounds, Mouse and 5 others like this.
  7. Willmunny

Willmunny Strat-O-Master Gold Supporting Member

RIP to say he was an influence to me would be an understatement. My sincere condolences to the family.

Stonetone likes this.
  8. Duotone

Duotone Senior Stratmaster

I Remember my older sister's boyfriend handed me the headphones at the local record store back in '97. I was 13 at that time, think it was the first track of "Best of vol. 1". "Eruption" burst into my mind, unbelievable, uncanny, unearthly, unforgettable.

I knew I had to have that CD. Somehow I ended up bringing it home that night. I believe spent the next year on a record hunt trying to get the VH back catalog. I was 20 years to late to the party, VanHalen records where nowhere to be found in the record stores of the mid 90's record stores of the tiny towns of coastal Northern-Norway. But there were ways, first off I nicked the VH1 album from my cousin CD rack, he did not mind. I ended up with all his Guitar World Magazines. One of them was the 1995 "Balance" release feature. Sober Ed with the crew cut and the Music Man guitar.

I remember "Balance" was so difficult to get, that some record store manager, I was pestering about getting me that record, eventually went home and grabbed it from his private collection.

On my first and only Snowboard oriented vacation I left the slope after an hour to end up at a record store, and spent all my money on the rest of the early 80s records: VHII, Women and Children first, Fair Warning, Diver Down and 1984.

I believe that sums up my VH collection, I guess that makes me a Lee Roth-era fan. Eddie was my first real guitar hero, there where many to follow. But no one like him. No one that could transform a string of simple almost textbook standard rock and roll songs into too few minutes of pure musical magic. No one that could flip that switch from simple campfire guitar chords into manic solo parts within the blink of an eye.

What a legacy he put behind, in my heart and soul, joints and fingers, as well millions of fans and guitar players! Rest in peace Eddie!

9. Boognish

Boognish Senior Stratmaster

It's pretty cool reading everyone's stories about how they first heard Eddie or first heard VH.

What's even cooler is that's there's people who heard them in '78 that influenced them from the start and theres those that heard them in late 80's or 90's and they were still influenced by Eddie from that same album from '78.

No doubt they were an influential band and Eddie was a giant. Just to hear Eruption or Cathedrals or Spanish Guitars gave me chills because of how different and badass they were. All these years later and all the listens of each of those songs still makes my jaw drop.

I have been reading everyone's post about how they heard EVH for the first time and how he was influential to them. Makes me smile as big as Ed's smile when he was playing. Man I love VH and Love EVH. I sure am going to miss him. I was holding out hope they would release one more album and one more tour. I would have been there...having a great time just like I did all those times before.

Stonetone likes this.
  10. Stonetone

Before and After ----->

[​IMG]

11. Stonetone

AFAIK Its the same for everyone, like me back in 78 one of my friends called me up and said frantically Mike you have to come over and hear this, OFC it was VH1 and when Eruption came on it was like WTF is that? How is he doing that? and the rest of the album just had us staring at each other jaws dropped and shaking our heads in disbelief, on that day music became an integral part of my life as did VH and continues to this day

Stone

The Strat Dude, CB91710 and Boognish like this.
  12. Stonetone

Totally Awesome, Mean Street Riff Before Fair Warning !!

Mike_it_up likes this.
  13. LPBlue

LPBlue "That Guy", again...dammit!

Eddie is and will remain alive for so long for so many just like Jimi does.:cool:

14. Deafsoundguy

Deafsoundguy Strat-o-hackster Silver Member

Can’t believe it.... RIP Sir Eddie. :(

I’m a huge Thomas Dolby fan. While hearing “Close but no Cigar” on his Astronauts and Heretics” 1992 CD, it was pretty obvious “hey that’s Eddie playing that - gotta be!”. And it was. And he played on another track too. Excellent record.

Here’s some interesting little stories about Eddie and Thomas D:
    https://ultimateclassicrock.com/eddie-van-halen-thomas-dolby-stories/

Stonetone and Boognish like this.
  15. guitarface

guitarface Most Honored Senior Member

I’ve been listening to a little Van Halen since I heard about his death. I was in the not always my cup of tea but reco gun ice the amazing talent camp. Anyway, listening the last couple of days, I feel really inspired by his playing. Perhaps also a touch regretful that I disdained it a little bit to be more of a blooz dude. But I’ll readily admit, the reason I don’t try to play anything can Halen style is because I can’t.

16. axis69

Ya,I dug that ms riffing...is it 1980 or 1990 though?He s wearing that jump suit thing from wacf....I think

17. axis69

I'm a huge VH fan but it didn't start out that way.I actually hated their music when vh1 came out.It was too loud and brash and DLR was obnoxious.I saw the light in 1983 and became a convert.I remember waiting for 1984 to drop and loved it immediately...you knew it was an instant classic loaded with great tunes and insane guitar.

Boognish likes this.
  18. Bearmont

Bearmont Strat-Talk Member

19. StratSounds

StratSounds Senior Stratmaster

I already posted in the early pages of this thread, but didn’t have time to say much the day he passed, so since we’re all telling long stories now:D, I’ll post again. I graduated high school in ‘89 so VH was definitely part of the soundtrack of my youth. When that 1984 album hit, I remember how MASSIVE it was and how everyone was into it and couldn’t get enough. I hadn’t really been a fan before that album so I didn’t know much of their older material. I was just starting to mess around with electric guitars too.

A friend of mine, who was into all kinds of music, had the cassette tapes of the Diver Down and Fair Warning albums. He was pretty much done with them so he handed them over to me and I proceeded to wear those cassettes out. I think I may still have them around here somewhere. Anytime I hear a song from either of those albums, I feel it, I was always in awe of what Eddie did with the guitar. I only got to see him play live once, on that huge Monsters of Rock tour in 1988 that VH headlined. Like many, I wasn’t that into Hagar on the vocals...I was there to see Eddie and he did not disappoint! I’ll leave this one here because it’s one of my all time favorites from Fair Warning...”ain’t nothin’ stays the same!”

Hydr0 and Boognish like this.
  20. Stonetone

Fair Warning was Eddies album Not Van Halen's Album This was all Eddie and it shows in the guitar tone if you Notice its Not particularity high gain yet its so heavy , the playing was also just out of this world, the sound the tone the mood was much darker and less party time have fun feel good songs from of the earlier stuff, while for sure Van Halen 1 changed everything Fair warning took it to the next level, for me this is a Masterpiece album of Tone and Guitar playing all one has to do is listen to one foot out the door and you'll know what i mean :) ,... Fair Warning is Eddie !!!

Last edited: Oct 8, 2020