The "I Like Treble" Poll... Say Yay.. Nay,,, Something Completely Different?..

• Yay.. Give Me High End Treble Ice Pick Goodness

Votes: 5 15.6%
  • Nay.. I Don't Want The Ice Pick High End Goodness

Votes: 16 50.0%
  • Sheeeeee-Yit... I Got Nothin' To Say 'Bout This... Pass The Potato Salad!

Votes: 11 34.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Strat-Slinger

Senior Stratmaster
Feb 9, 2013
Somewhere in Space
I have found that I less and less desire TREBLE... this specific contour has been decreased and dialed back considerably in my amp settings over the span of months... years... eons... of playing out and in the studio, etc...

Granted... When a younger spud I much liked the high end... it was always set in the 8-ish area while mids and bass were usually set around 4-ish
Then... I began setting Treb about 7-ish... mids about 5.5-ish... bass about 3-ish...

These days I am much preferring Treb 4.5-ish... mids 6.5-ish... bass 1.5-ish...

Nope... no longer is the prevalence of Treble something I want in my signal... I find it markedly grating and frankly, a hindrance to both my pick attack and overall sonic impression...

Please.. take the poll and feel free to chime in:thumb:

Electgumbo

Not Of This Earth
Dec 26, 2010
Scott, La.
I’m from the more then one way to skin a cat school. Depends on the amp and the size and power of it… How big the room is?

1. The louder I play the less bass I use. If the amp is small and lower volume you can turn up the bass for a fuller sound. But if you leave it like that and turn up the amp all that bass will get flabby or mushy.

2. Marshalls and a Strat is almost always Presence and Bass at 9:00, Mids almost full, Treble a little pass noon…. Heaven help us with the Volume! This is my general Hendrix/Marshall setting I use all the time…. Actually I set a lot of amps this way…

3. Sometimes I do it this way… Volume at 3 or 4… turn off bass, treble and mids if you have it. Set guitar on back pickup and pick high E string … turn up Treble until high E string has bite but not icepicky… when you happy take note of treble setting and turn it off…. Put guitar on front pickup and pick low E string… turn up Bass until low E string is fat and round but not flubby or mushy… when the low E strings sounds good put the Treble control back where it sounded good. If you have a Mid control set too taste. You can push the mids or scoop them as you wish. Now you can adjust the amp volume as needed but the tone shouldn’t change much unless you ready crank it…

That’s how I play with amps….

jrbirdman

Senior Stratmaster
Platinum Supporting Member
Silver Member
Feb 3, 2016
Puget Sound
Well with age came the loss of a lot of the high range. With hearing aids I get most of them back. But with a mask I can't wear them (glasses, mask & aids) just to much. So I keep this in mind when I set my tone, others will hear the treble I'm not.

Dik Ellis

Strat-Talker
Aug 24, 2021
Georgetown, TX
It depended on the amp. With my '74 Twin, the EQ was all set to 10. With my Boogie MK IIB, treble was on 7, bass on 4, mid on 3. With my Bill M modded Blues Jr. the EQ was all between 5 and 7.

Cyberi4n

Strat-O-Master
Nov 3, 2019
Chester, UK
I used to run everything on 10 on the bridge pick-up for those crushing metal tonez.

However I’ve since developed an appreciation for that moderately overdriven neck pickup tone, especially for soloing through a fender-style amp - so much so that on my Les Paul with vintage style PAFs I prefer to do rhythm on the bridge pick-up with trebles rolled back, then drop to the neck for soloing.

running (currently) an Egnater Tweaker 15 stack in vintage US mode, with treble on 7, middle on 4 and bass on 5 or 6 (depending on how muddy it gets)

FB7569C1-0D93-4C5B-B97B-8ABA1780D643.jpeg

However! I do also love a GOOD potato salad! Choices choices…..

Last edited:

Higgins1980

Senior Stratmaster
Feb 11, 2013
North Carolina
I keep my settings bright but to me it doesn’t sound all that trebley (not sure thats a word but hey). I do have some amount of hearing loss and probably can’t detect some of the higher frequencies though.

Jimbo99

Senior Stratmaster
Jun 5, 2021
Palm Coast, FL
I prefer some middle ground for Treble & Bass. As we age we lose the ability to hear the lows & highs. As long as I can still hear all the notes on the fretboard range clearly, I'm good with that.

Strat-Slinger

Senior Stratmaster
Feb 9, 2013
Somewhere in Space
Cool to see everyone' take on tone... some love for the scooped settings with a few and I also see... I am NOT alone in dialing back the almighty Ice Pick Goodness... and replacing with a healthy portion of mids...

I’m from the more then one way to skin a cat school. Depends on the amp and the size and power of it… How big the room is?

1. The louder I play the less bass I use. If the amp is small and lower volume you can turn up the bass for a fuller sound. But if you leave it like that and turn up the amp all that bass will get flabby or mushy.

2. Marshalls and a Strat is almost always Presence and Bass at 9:00, Mids almost full, Treble a little pass noon…. Heaven help us with the Volume! This is my general Hendrix/Marshall setting I use all the time…. Actually I set a lot of amps this way…

3. Sometimes I do it this way… Volume at 3 or 4… turn off bass, treble and mids if you have it. Set guitar on back pickup and pick high E string … turn up Treble until high E string has bite but not icepicky… when you happy take note of treble setting and turn it off…. Put guitar on front pickup and pick low E string… turn up Bass until low E string is fat and round but not flubby or mushy… when the low E strings sounds good put the Treble control back where it sounded good. If you have a Mid control set too taste. You can push the mids or scoop them as you wish. Now you can adjust the amp volume as needed but the tone shouldn’t change much unless you ready crank it…

That’s how I play with amps….

Interesting way to dial in a usable tone Electgumbo... I can see the practicality in it... thanks for sharing your process...

SIngles Forever

Senior Stratmaster
Feb 14, 2019
Montreal
I like a sound from the amp that would be too trebly if my tone knobs and volume were on full. The sound of the backed off guitar going into the trebly amp produces a warm, balanced, rich tone. And it provides treble-headroom if you need to slice through for a minute or two.

And potato salad is disgusting.

velvet_man

Senior Stratmaster
Sep 7, 2016
Vancouver
When I dialled in my amp at home, I had the Treble on 6/7, the Presence on 3/4, Mids on 4/5, and Bass on 4/5. Sounded great.

Then I got to band rehearsal and I couldn't hear myself without turning up too loud. Now I have the Treble at 7/8, the Presence at 7, Mids at 5/6, and Bass at 3. Still sounds great, but I can hear myself without having to out-volume everyone else.

Last edited:

Stratoskater

Fuzz Meister General
Feb 8, 2011
Naked in NC
I set my Princeton bass and treble on 5, volume on 6-8. I set my 5e3 with inst vol on 6-8, mic volume full up and tone around 7. Then I use my guitar volume, tone and pickups from there.

Geoff06

Strat-O-Master
Nov 15, 2021
Wisconsin
I like hearing some treble but I don't like a shrill guitar sound. I tend to think of "brightness" a little differently than most people probably do, in that I like what I consider a bright upper midrange. I feel like a guitar can be bright without being piercing. But I really don't like being hit with an ice pick.

Like some above have stated, turning the amp up and using the guitar's volume as basically a tone control, saturating certain frequencies, is what I do. Going up to 10 for a solo is like having a built-in boost. As long as I feel like o have a decent midrange and some treble headroom for when I need it, I'm generally happy.