Warmoth.com ad space available darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups ad space available Reilander Pickups

Warmoth.com ad space available darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups Reilander Pickups

Warmoth.com ad space available darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups Reilander Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Factory Refin - Stamps & Markings??

Discussion in 'Pre-CBS Strats (before 1966)' started by jimmyguitar, Apr 21, 2017.

1. jimmyguitar

jimmyguitar Strat-Talk Member

Dec 30, 2015
    Ascot, UK
    Hi guys. Shouldn't the numbers on body and neck heel correspond? This is being sold locally and I'd be interested if it were a legit factory refin...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. niksevig119

niksevig119 Strat-Talker

Jan 26, 2009
    RI
    Sometimes yes. Sometimes no. Ive read conflicting reports. It was an order number, or a customer number. And even just a paint code. I own two. A 59 tele that was done it CAR in 66/67. And a 61 strat. Sonic Blue. Just paint code and color on the bodies

3. guitar1981

guitar1981 Strat-Talker

Sep 19, 2015
    Hollywood, Ca
    I've never seen one that didn't have the same numbers. The whole point of putting the numbers on the guitar is so that the original neck and body would stay together. The markings on that body don't look factory to me. They're too sloppy. Plus, the finish looks really thick and orange peely. This was resprayed in 1963.

IMG_0958.JPG IMG_0955.JPG

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Opienor

Opienor Strat-Talker

May 21, 2012
    Oslo, Norway
    It´s pretty common to have different numbers on neck and body. My 1962 has a factory refin from 65 or 66 and has different numbers. I have seen many others like it.

6. jimmyguitar

jimmyguitar Strat-Talk Member

Dec 30, 2015
    Ascot, UK
    Ah, that's a shame I saw your reply too late, the auction ended and I decided not to bid! I'm looking for a nice jazzmaster or jag if anyone is thinking of selling...

7. guitar1981

guitar1981 Strat-Talker

Sep 19, 2015
    Hollywood, Ca
    Can you share photos? What is the explanation for why the codes are different?

All of the factory refins I've seen that were legit had matched codes. Factory refins in the 50's had the serial number impressed. In the 60's, it was a production number. Never seen a real factory refinished guitar with different numbers.

8. Opienor

Opienor Strat-Talker

May 21, 2012
    Oslo, Norway
    Maybe they just changed their system for numbering refin parts? I really don´t see the reason for the matching numbers. After all the numbers are there to identify the parts during the refinishing, not to match them years down the line. At least it makes sence to me for using different sequence numbers for different workstations in the factory. That way the worker doing the necks had a logical sequence of orders to follow instead of a random (to him/her) number, as did the person doing the bodies.
    But that´s just my theory. Would be really cool if somebody with more knowledge could chime in.

Here are pictures of my 1962 with a mid 60´s refinish. I bought this through a very reputable vintage dealer. It would surprise me if he didn´t know what he was selling.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. jofish

jofish Strat-O-Master

Aug 28, 2015
    Hull, UK
    I always thought that was the case too, seems to make sense. Maybe the guitars that came out with non-matching numbers (like the lovely sunburst above) were not the original pairing of neck and body... who knows? I'd like to hear from someone who knows more here too :)

10. guitar1981

guitar1981 Strat-Talker

Sep 19, 2015
    Hollywood, Ca
    That's bizarre. I have photos of about 30 factory refins I've bought and sold. All of them have the same numbers on the neck and body. Regardless, I don't believe the guitar the OP was asking about was refinished at Fender. At least not the body. Photos aren't the greatest, though.

Has anyone else seen factory refins with inconsistent numbers?

Paperback Rocker likes this.
  11. guitar1981

guitar1981 Strat-Talker

Sep 19, 2015
    Hollywood, Ca
    Do you know approximately when yours was refinished? I just looked at this one a day ago. Logo would indicate 1963/1964. The number is in the vicinity of yours. IMG_2212.JPG

Number on the body did match.

Opienor likes this.
  12. Opienor

Opienor Strat-Talker

May 21, 2012
    Oslo, Norway
    That´s interesting! Did you get to take a picture of the body also? Would love to see it.
    My 62 has five patent numbers on the peghead decal, so I guess that would place the refin somewhere in the 1965-66 period. I have tried to do more research on this online but there aren´t a lot of resources that really get into the numbering system. Surely there are knowledgeable people on this forum. Hope they chime in.

13. Opienor

Opienor Strat-Talker

May 21, 2012
    Oslo, Norway
    Here is a quote from a thread I found over at the tdpri.com forum conserning a 1966 Strat refinished in CAR. The answer looks to be written by someone working in retail at the time:

Here is the link: http://www.tdpri.com/threads/the-qu...guitar-has-been-refinished-1966-strat.161700/

14. guitar1981

guitar1981 Strat-Talker

Sep 19, 2015
    Hollywood, Ca
    IMG_2222.JPG

Opienor likes this.
  15. guitar1981

guitar1981 Strat-Talker

Sep 19, 2015
    Hollywood, Ca
    Here's another I sold awhile back. This is a 1953 Tele refinished in 1957. IMG_0612.JPG IMG_0627.JPG

Opienor likes this.