Fading English Words?

Neil.C

Most Honored Senior Member
Mar 3, 2012
Surrey, England
Carburetor. Nasty devices they are. Now limited to small engines.

Adjusting those on an actual car engine was the WORST! An air / fuel ratio compromise at best. An overly rich mixture was a given.

Then there were the mechanical spark delivery systems of the time. "Meh, that'll do". Who here has adjusted dwell angle and point gap? Then there was spark timing with the blinky light. I have...

ECU controlled EFI and spark delivery is SO much better.

It was simply the technology of the time.

I owned a carburettor and tuning firm back in the '70's so have had a bit of experience.

Fixed jet carbs such as fitted on most American cars could only be adjusted via the idle circuit anyway.

Variable jet carbs fitted to many British cars could be adjusted right through the range and by needle exchange.

Dwell angle and timing was usually adjusted using the large Sun machine we had at the time.

KillingTone

Strat-O-Master
Platinum Supporting Member
Mar 13, 2017
Yardley, PA USA
Flash cube

Flashcube_on_Kodak_Instamatic.jpg
And film developing

thomquietwolf

Dr. Stratster
Gold Supporting Member
Silver Member
Dec 2, 2010
Peardale CA
Carburetor. Nasty devices they are. Now limited to small engines.

Adjusting those on an actual car engine was the WORST! An air / fuel ratio compromise at best. An overly rich mixture was a given.

Then there were the mechanical spark delivery systems of the time. "Meh, that'll do". Who here has adjusted dwell angle and point gap? Then there was spark timing with the blinky light. I have...

ECU controlled EFI and spark delivery is SO much better.

Who here has adjusted dwell angle and point gap?
Then there was spark timing with the blinky light.

I turned journeyman from apprentice on My Navy discharge 1961

Add to that list
Adjusting a voltage regulator

Where on earth was a timing light called A blinky light?

Dwell angle
Where's you get that (road and track magazine?)

Latest posts