Fake Custom Shop?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by pillowofsalt, Mar 10, 2021.

1. stratman323

stratman323 Dr. Stratster

Not if it's a fake it doesn't!

Paperback Rocker likes this.
  2. stratman323

Exactly. I'm confident that the CS will never have made a guitar without a serial number. If anyone doubts this, send an e.mail to Fender & ask them. Let us know what they say...

Buying any guitar without a serial number is risky. Buying a CS guitar without a serial number is just crazy.

f.f.f.f.f.f.fake

EDIT to give you an idea how important the Custom Shop certificate is, I bought a legitimate 1990 CS Thinline Tele from an eBay seller in the USA. No certificate, but I wasn't sure if they even issued COAs as early as 1990. I knew it was genuine but I checked with Fender by sending them pics of the guitar stripped down. Fender CS agreed to issue a replacement COA for it if an approved CS dealer inspected it & confirmed it's kosher.

That inspection (all 3 minutes of it!) & that one piece of A5 paper cost me £100. But I knew that it would be worthwhile if I ever decided to sell this rare guitar. Now everyone can be sure it's genuine.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2021
    drp146, henderman, Kester and 4 others like this.
  3. Paperback Rocker

Paperback Rocker Do it or screw it.

Crappy pics of expensive guitars . . .

Very suspicious

Nate D, drp146, henderman and 4 others like this.
  4. ak-25

ak-25 Strat-Talker

agreed, here in the UK there are too many chancers asking stupid money - whether they sell or not is another thing :D I picked up a US Strat recently with a few 'extras' which once sold means the guitar owes me about £500. There are several others advertised locally for £800+ and they aren't moving

drp146 likes this.
  5. pillowofsalt

pillowofsalt New Member!

Umbrella
    Turns out it was a fake. Thanks man

Nate D, drp146 and Paperback Rocker like this.
  6. Mr Dunlop

Mr Dunlop Senior Stratmaster

I am glad you didn't get taken advantage of.
    Better to ask questions first before dropping any money down on a guitar if your in doubt

drp146 and guitarchaeologist like this.
  7. Intune

Intune Senior Stratmaster

That’s awesome and crappy at the same time. Looks like a really nice fake. Nice neck, nice desert sand body.

The lack a serial # and wrong string tree is the only thing that stood out to me. Also being a 2005 the CS logo on the back of the headstock is wrong. Although sometimes these guys have guitars and not even sure what they have.

So can I ask what turned you away from this strat?

8. 278horn

278horn New Member!

Nice guitar. Looks exactly like my 90's John Page Custom shop '54 except for the missing serial number on the neck plate..

9. stratman323

The lack of a serial number isn't exactly a minor detail, its pretty fundamental....

drp146 likes this.
  10. stratman323

It's not a nice guitar, it's a fake designed to rip people off!

drp146 and RobZ69 like this.
  11. Intune

We don’t know the whole story and probably never will, you guys can assume whatever you want but looks like someone spent a lot money to try and sell a fake. I’m not saying whoever faked it is a great guy just saying everyone on here seems to always go right to the dark side without any facts.

It checks a lot more boxes than a obvious fake. NO SERIAL NUMBER yes we see that but it’s a bolted on neck plate, was it removed at one point. We will never know!

12. 278horn

278horn New Member!

From the provided pictures, what specifically makes it a fake? The neck plate without the serial number? Other than that it looks consistent with 90's era production Custom Shop Strats. It could be a fake, I may not know without removing the neck and pickguard.

Intune likes this.
  13. stratman323

Well why don't you buy it, send details & pics to Fender & see what they say? If they say it's genuine you can laugh in my face & I'll apologise to you.

Deal?

14. stratman323

You'll find that's down to years of experience of having to tell new member after new member that their beloved new Strat is a fake. It happens soooooooo often, & it gets you down.

If you stick it out in this place, come back to us all in a couple of years time & tell us if you still hold the same view. I doubt if you will.

We don't need to know "the whole story", all we need to know is whether it's fake or genuine. You know my vote, you make your own decision.

RobZ69 and Thrup'ny Bit like this.
  15. Intune

I know stratman since you’ve been back all you do it seems is bash or politely bad mouth someone gear. In a joking way though. You have a few followers too that seem to always post after you then turns into your own tangent of inside jokes that no one gets, then the thread is dead.

I get it, after years of stupidly it’s hard to look on the bright side.

16. stratman323

Well if you hold such a low opinion of me, that's what the IGNORE button is for. Just use it.

Bye.

Thrup'ny Bit and Intune like this.
  17. Mr Dunlop

Mr Dunlop Senior Stratmaster

I have been buying used guitars for many years and have not been fooled yet.

If a guitar is questionable I always go to the dark side until proven otherwise.

A guitar with no serial is a HUGE red flag. Even if its authentic its most likely stolen and would be nothing I would care to buy.

I don't mean to be rude but you have already spread false information in this thread and your lack of knowledge is apparent.

I only say this in case someone stubbles on this thread in the future and reads your posts. IMO its really misleading.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2021
    stratman323, Thrup'ny Bit and Intune like this.
  18. Dibbs

Dibbs Senior Stratmaster

Fakin' all over...

19. Intune

This whole site is filled with false information being pumped in on a hourly basis.

Yes this guitar is definitely questionable run away fast. However is is Fahd we’ll never know. My lack of experience is apparent, you got me. I don’t believe this to be fake, stolen, maybe. It looks identical to a mid 90’s CS 54 Strat I once had.

278horn likes this.
  20. 278horn

278horn New Member!

You can lighten up. Or not.

If the price was attractive enough and I could see it with the neck and pickguard removed, why not? I wouldn't buy it otherwise. If it played well and the rest checks out, I wouldn't care whether Fender verified it or not.

Or better yet, how about based on the provided pics, offering your expertise to educating me and others what other features verify that it is fake.

It is my opinion it could be a fake or that the seller may not even know what he has and it could be a Custom Shop guitar that they are misrepresenting. I don't know how and where it is advertised. Without the neck plate serialized and no COA, the value certainly is affected but that doesn't mean it isn't a Fender Custom shop.