MartinC

Strat-Talker
May 11, 2010
UK
And everyone breath. OP posted a question and was satisfied with the information given that they should walk away. Job done. No need for anyone to take offence and everyone is entitled to their own view. I have been ‘sold’ one very convincing CS fake. Looked fine in most details. Had a COA. Matched the serial number. But on closer inspection it was fake and I returned it. Quite a lot of hassle that the OP has potentially been saved by the good and generous responses here. End of?

Intune

Senior Stratmaster
Jan 14, 2021
Edmonton, Alberta
I have been buying used guitars for many years and have not been fooled yet.

If a guitar is questionable I always go to the dark side until proven otherwise.

A guitar with no serial is a HUGE red flag. Even if its authentic its most likely stolen and would be nothing I would care to buy.

I don't mean to be rude but you have already spread false information in this thread and your lack of knowledge is apparent.

I only say this in case someone stubbles on this thread in the future and reads your posts. IMO its really misleading.

Ok what’s misleading? The only thing I said was sometimes there isn’t a serial number on the neck plate. Sorry everyone I was wrong. Sometimes there isn’t one there because it will be on the bridge if it’s not a Strat, maybe they only applies to a tele. Maybe this only applies to American Vintage reissues not custom shops. I also said yes there should be a serial number there which is odd. Find out more info

The rest of the guitar LOOKS 100% custom shop to me. Find out more info from the seller. How is this misleading.

Regardless we’ll probably never hear from the OP again so who knows.

So please explain to me what I said that could have the OP run out and by this Strat. I won’t to know so I can slap myself.

Mr Dunlop

Senior Stratmaster
Nov 30, 2014
usa
. This is a vintage reissue custom shop, not a off the wall production model. There won’t be serial numbers all over the place. Yes there should be one on the neck plate but again being a 2005 sometimes they didn’t have one there.

It will be in the neck pocket

This was false and misleading as I already pointed out.

Last edited:

Intune

Senior Stratmaster
Jan 14, 2021
Edmonton, Alberta
Yes I stand corrected, thank you. However I’ve had a few custom shop Nocasters, a 52 tele and my current 51 pbass neither had a serial number on the neck plate. They were stamped on the bridge. The only one that came with a floor traveller is any of my current ones prior to 2016. Of coarse they all came with a COA. Sorry for any confusion guys. 6ABC9FE1-AE71-4191-957E-F313C8DB8060.jpeg 368F17B1-AFBC-43A5-B304-8763AC29B982.jpeg 5069C80F-7257-449F-B558-89ACBF8C8C14.jpeg 93147B5D-6645-4CE8-B60C-3053D341B639.jpeg

Intune

Senior Stratmaster
Jan 14, 2021
Edmonton, Alberta
Oh a few more tele’s though. So yes maybe it is just teles that had no serial neck plates. Still the OP is gone and that guitar in question is definitely not as advertised. Much older custom shop if it’s even real.

My old 2013 51 pbass 85B83D9B-4522-4903-8E47-3DA158D4DFE7.jpeg CB51512F-059A-49F0-84A1-72A953D83C55.jpeg my old 2005 Nocaster 81D8DCE3-6D49-47F3-B24C-F8A1F57DB7B3.jpeg

Mr Dunlop

Senior Stratmaster
Nov 30, 2014
usa
We are talking strats not Teles and a bass.

Looks like the order number and nothing readable in the neck pocket in regards to a serial.

You have a partial serial on the neck heel itself. If you put an R in front of 6764 you bring back a 51 nocaster. I am sure there was also a serial number on the bridge.
Stratocasters do not have serials on the bridge.

So do you see how misleading this is?

OP didnt buy guitar so it all worked out..

Intune

Senior Stratmaster
Jan 14, 2021
Edmonton, Alberta
No I know it was late. All I remember was thinking it’s odd not to have serial number on the neck plate for the custom shops I’ve had. Oh wait those were my teles. They are on the bridge plate and in the neck/neck pocket.

I’m always learning and trying to educate myself.

278horn

New Member!
Sep 6, 2017
Dallas
Ok beating a dead horse now but check this one out. 1996 CS 54 Strat. Identical to the one listed but has a serial at the neck plate. That is one hell of a fake thr OP found.

https://www.digimart.net/cat1/shop5028/DS06051867/
That is the same model I have. That is why I posted the one from OP is probably a 90's CS production guitar with a poly finish. A '54 Strat not a '56. My guess is that OP's guitar was misrepresented but maybe not fake. It was probably stolen and the neck plate replaced like you mentioned earlier.

Last edited:

knh555

Most Honored Senior Member
Dec 6, 2016
Massachusetts
We don’t know the whole story and probably never will, you guys can assume whatever you want but looks like someone spent a lot money to try and sell a fake. I’m not saying whoever faked it is a great guy just saying everyone on here seems to always go right to the dark side without any facts.

It checks a lot more boxes than a obvious fake. NO SERIAL NUMBER yes we see that but it’s a bolted on neck plate, was it removed at one point. We will never know!

Let's say it is a CS with a changed neck plate. Taking off the serial number - the one thing you can ask Fender about to prove its authenticity - clearly has a huge impact on value and confidence it is what the seller says it is. In a way, it's a partscaster at that point, b/c for a CS, that serial number has real market value.

And as someone else mentioned, if you buy it and decide to sell later, you're now on the wrong side of a difficult transaction.

Last edited:

crankit

Strat-Talk Member
Mar 30, 2017
santa fe
You know, if this is a fake it looks nicer than a real one. It has 8 screws on scratch plate like most early 50s model have. The head stock looks right. If you like it, cool, keep it and move on. later; Crankit.

stratman323

Dr. Stratster
Apr 21, 2010
London, UK
I know stratman since you’ve been back all you do it seems is bash or politely bad mouth someone gear. In a joking way though. You have a few followers too that seem to always post after you then turns into your own tangent of inside jokes that no one gets, then the thread is dead.

I get it, after years of stupidly it’s hard to look on the bright side.

So, if I understand you correctly, you're upset because some people who have known each other for years indulge in some "in jokes" with each other. Because you don't understand these jokes, you get upset, a bit like a child at school - "Mummy" Wah!! The older boys are telling jokes I don't understand . Make them stop Mummy!"

Do you have any idea how pathetic that makes you seem? Grow up man. There are lots of "in jokes" on here from various people. Many of those jokes go over my head. But I don't complain about this as it would make me look very sad if I did.

And on top of that, YOU had the audacity to post this:

This whole site is filled with false information being pumped in on a hourly basis

So you launch unprovoked attacks on other members, & you allege that the site is "filled with false information" even though the only person spreading false information is you.

Well well, what an asset you're going to be to Strat Talk... Why don't you just leave this awful site?

henderman

Dr. Stratster
Dec 4, 2013
largo,fl
authentic high end items are easy to sell if the seller has proof.

so anytime someone has a high end item for sale and does not include upfront the things an educated buyer is going to need to consider buying - start looking elsewhere.

anytime i am look at high end stuff sold second hand, i boldly ask and watch their behaviour - "is it stolen?" and "is it real?" funny most people start acting real funny and have a crazy story.

Latest posts