Fake Custom Shop?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by pillowofsalt, Mar 10, 2021.

1. MartinC

MartinC Strat-Talker

And everyone breath. OP posted a question and was satisfied with the information given that they should walk away. Job done. No need for anyone to take offence and everyone is entitled to their own view. I have been ‘sold’ one very convincing CS fake. Looked fine in most details. Had a COA. Matched the serial number. But on closer inspection it was fake and I returned it. Quite a lot of hassle that the OP has potentially been saved by the good and generous responses here. End of?

2. Intune

Intune Senior Stratmaster

Ok what’s misleading? The only thing I said was sometimes there isn’t a serial number on the neck plate. Sorry everyone I was wrong. Sometimes there isn’t one there because it will be on the bridge if it’s not a Strat, maybe they only applies to a tele. Maybe this only applies to American Vintage reissues not custom shops. I also said yes there should be a serial number there which is odd. Find out more info

The rest of the guitar LOOKS 100% custom shop to me. Find out more info from the seller. How is this misleading.

Regardless we’ll probably never hear from the OP again so who knows.

So please explain to me what I said that could have the OP run out and by this Strat. I won’t to know so I can slap myself.

3. Mr Dunlop

Mr Dunlop Senior Stratmaster

This was false and misleading as I already pointed out.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2021
  4. Intune

Yes I stand corrected, thank you. However I’ve had a few custom shop Nocasters, a 52 tele and my current 51 pbass neither had a serial number on the neck plate. They were stamped on the bridge. The only one that came with a floor traveller is any of my current ones prior to 2016. Of coarse they all came with a COA. Sorry for any confusion guys. 6ABC9FE1-AE71-4191-957E-F313C8DB8060.jpeg 368F17B1-AFBC-43A5-B304-8763AC29B982.jpeg 5069C80F-7257-449F-B558-89ACBF8C8C14.jpeg 93147B5D-6645-4CE8-B60C-3053D341B639.jpeg

5. Intune

Oh a few more tele’s though. So yes maybe it is just teles that had no serial neck plates. Still the OP is gone and that guitar in question is definitely not as advertised. Much older custom shop if it’s even real.

My old 2013 51 pbass 85B83D9B-4522-4903-8E47-3DA158D4DFE7.jpeg CB51512F-059A-49F0-84A1-72A953D83C55.jpeg my old 2005 Nocaster 81D8DCE3-6D49-47F3-B24C-F8A1F57DB7B3.jpeg

6. Mr Dunlop

Mr Dunlop Senior Stratmaster

We are talking strats not Teles and a bass.

Looks like the order number and nothing readable in the neck pocket in regards to a serial.

You have a partial serial on the neck heel itself. If you put an R in front of 6764 you bring back a 51 nocaster. I am sure there was also a serial number on the bridge.
    Stratocasters do not have serials on the bridge.

So do you see how misleading this is?

OP didnt buy guitar so it all worked out..

7. Intune

No I know it was late. All I remember was thinking it’s odd not to have serial number on the neck plate for the custom shops I’ve had. Oh wait those were my teles. They are on the bridge plate and in the neck/neck pocket.

I’m always learning and trying to educate myself.

8. Intune

9. 278horn

278horn New Member!

That is the same model I have. That is why I posted the one from OP is probably a 90's CS production guitar with a poly finish. A '54 Strat not a '56. My guess is that OP's guitar was misrepresented but maybe not fake. It was probably stolen and the neck plate replaced like you mentioned earlier.

RobZ69 and Intune like this.
  10. knh555

knh555 Most Honored Senior Member

Let's say it is a CS with a changed neck plate. Taking off the serial number - the one thing you can ask Fender about to prove its authenticity - clearly has a huge impact on value and confidence it is what the seller says it is. In a way, it's a partscaster at that point, b/c for a CS, that serial number has real market value.

And as someone else mentioned, if you buy it and decide to sell later, you're now on the wrong side of a difficult transaction.

11. =KARMA=

=KARMA= Senior Stratmaster

Well, there’s a first time for everything....

B7AFD412-56BC-4D48-AD9D-9B422B326FD8.jpeg

Intune likes this.
  12. Intune

Is DE3 the serial number? December 3rd 59 of 150. Looks like a sweet Birdseye neck

13. =KARMA=

It’s from a CS 40th Anniversary...

8D9E57F4-B9CB-45F5-B80D-EB7FA64B1B51.jpeg

drp146, SatinNeck81 and Intune like this.
  14. Intune

Awesome!! I love pretty much all custom shops but these early ones I find are almost a true custom.

15. crankit

crankit Strat-Talk Member

You know, if this is a fake it looks nicer than a real one. It has 8 screws on scratch plate like most early 50s model have. The head stock looks right. If you like it, cool, keep it and move on. later; Crankit.

16. stratman323

stratman323 Dr. Stratster

So, if I understand you correctly, you're upset because some people who have known each other for years indulge in some "in jokes" with each other. Because you don't understand these jokes, you get upset, a bit like a child at school - "Mummy" Wah!! The older boys are telling jokes I don't understand . Make them stop Mummy!"

Do you have any idea how pathetic that makes you seem? Grow up man. There are lots of "in jokes" on here from various people. Many of those jokes go over my head. But I don't complain about this as it would make me look very sad if I did.

And on top of that, YOU had the audacity to post this:

This whole site is filled with false information being pumped in on a hourly basis

So you launch unprovoked attacks on other members, & you allege that the site is "filled with false information" even though the only person spreading false information is you.

Well well, what an asset you're going to be to Strat Talk... Why don't you just leave this awful site?

Intune likes this.
  17. stratman323

Is there no serial number on the neckplate of that guitar?

18. =KARMA=

No......

40th Neck plate.jpg

19. stratman323

Well well.

If the DE3 part is the actual serial number, it's inconsistent of the CS to not write that on the COA.

Thanks for that, Fender...o_O

20. henderman

henderman Dr. Stratster

authentic high end items are easy to sell if the seller has proof.

so anytime someone has a high end item for sale and does not include upfront the things an educated buyer is going to need to consider buying - start looking elsewhere.

anytime i am look at high end stuff sold second hand, i boldly ask and watch their behaviour - "is it stolen?" and "is it real?" funny most people start acting real funny and have a crazy story.

Paperback Rocker and drp146 like this.