Fake MiM Strat, but what can it be?

Discussion in 'Non-Fender S-Type Guitar Forum' started by feNce-, Jun 11, 2021.

1. feNce-

feNce- Strat-Talk Member

I contacted the guy 2 hours after receiving and opening up the guitar. He replied today by saying that he got this as a part of a trade. He claims that he doesn’t know much about guitars and justed posted it “as is”, which seems to check out. He told me that he contacted the previous owner, so I shall post updates when we hear back from the guy. I just hope the “original” seller doesn’t make a crapshow out of the whole thing.

T-Rey likes this.
  2. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Dr. Stratster

Was this an online sale? If yes, was it listed as 'Fender'? If so, you should be able to get your money back....was it ebay?

Everyone always says 'i got this in a trade and I dont know anything about it" - that is the biggest lie in the guitar selling business

3. MartinC

MartinC Strat-Talker

Exactly this. You do not care what the seller's story is, what he was or was not told, where he did or did not get it. The guitar is NOT what was listed. It is not up to you to establish exactly what it is - you simply have to establish it isn't what you were told it was. End of. There is plenty of information in this thread to establish beyond any doubt that this guitar is a fake. You should get a refund, and what the seller then decides to do is up to them. Don't get sucked in to some sort of 'story'. Its irrelevant.

4. feNce-

feNce- Strat-Talk Member

It was listed as a ‘Fender Mexican Stratocaster’ on a local (Central Europe) used wears site. He mainly sells keyboards and sound equipment, he hasn’t had a guitar listed before on the site either.
    I guess my options for now are collecting information and waiting for what He comes up with..
    I do sincerely appreciate your insight though!

T-Rey and Guitarmageddon like this.
  5. feNce-

feNce- Strat-Talk Member

I plan on getting my money back one way or another, I just pray that the easy way will suffice.

T-Rey likes this.
  6. DrDiederick

DrDiederick Strat-Talker

Originally, there is no Squier SE with swimming pool routing. However, I am 100% sure that there are 2 of these floating around somewhere because sometime ago I routed a swimming pool in 2 Squier SE's to fit 2 or 3 humbuckers. I've kept both of them for a few years but sold them a few years ago. BTW the buyers were informed about my modification and in all fairness they were happy with their guitars.

The moral of the story is that there are at least 2 Squier SE's with swimming pools (likely more). However, they look nothing like the guitar of the OP and did not have the MIM decals either.

BW
    D

feNce- likes this.
  7. Sixstringer107

Sixstringer107 Strat-O-Master

Trust these guys on here, they know their stuff. I hope you can get your money back, being that it's an obvious fake.

feNce- and Guitarmageddon like this.
  8. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Dr. Stratster

Yes, the european / UK market SE did have a swimming pool route, but it's not shaped that way....it's different.....

Most SE's are not swimming pool route

DrDiederick and feNce- like this.
  9. Ebidis

Ebidis Providing the world with flat bends since 1985

@feNce- ^^THIS IS 100% THE TRUTH^^

I cannot add anything to MartinC's post. Just get your money back and don't get sucked into any BS by the seller.

dirocyn, feNce- and Guitarmageddon like this.
  10. feNce-

feNce- Strat-Talk Member

With all you wonderful people’s help and the amount of information I’ve received it will be a million times easier.

11. dirocyn

dirocyn Senior Stratmaster

It doesn't matter what the seller was told, whether he got it in a trade or whether he traded it for money directly to Alibaba. You paid for a Fender Mexican Strat, and this is neither Fender nor Mexican, it's barely a Strat copy. No part of this is from a Mexican Strat, and no part of it is from a USA Strat. Nor is it a Squier.

This is an older fake, judging by the fading & dirt outline from the pickguard, and the fact it's had two different pickguards & backplates installed at some point. My guess is somebody tried hard to make it playable.

feNce- and Guitarmageddon like this.
  12. CB91710

CB91710 No GAS shortage here Double Platinum Supporting Member

He's stringing you along and has no intention of accepting a return.
    Your business was with the seller, not the guy the seller got the guitar from.
    It's not your problem that the seller got screwed in his trade.
    You were sold a counterfeit guitar and the seller needs to handle it.

T-Rey and Guitarmageddon like this.
  13. feNce-

feNce- Strat-Talk Member

I
    I’ve been very respectful towards the seller, as composed as possible. I will wait for his reply and if I feel any bad intentions, I will push. I feel like no matter what I will give them the benefit of doubt but I will not let myself be cheated out of my money. Thank you for caring, I really, really appreciate all of you!

CB91710 and s5tuart like this.
  14. vid1900

vid1900 Most Honored Senior Member

If imgur is not working for you.....

7tu6vES.jpeg 1uoT2d6.jpeg sLj3joe.jpeg

feNce- and CB91710 like this.
  15. Lost Sailor

Lost Sailor Strat-O-Master

Well, I did have mine routed swimming pool - I was thinking someone may have done it too.....that thing is not a Fender for sure. That 5th hole in the neck is strange too

feNce- likes this.
  16. Willmunny

Willmunny Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

To be fair just about the best way is to have @Guitarmageddon look at it. Some newcomers might not know that.

17. CB91710

CB91710 No GAS shortage here Double Platinum Supporting Member

Not really.
    It is typical of Asian copy bodies.

feNce- likes this.