1. Enter to Win one of two Strats we are giving away! An American Pro II Strat HSS and a Squier Classic Vibe Strat. To see the prizes and rules: https://www.strat-talk.com/pages/2020_Fundraiser_giveaway/ To enter: https://www.strat-talk.com/account/upgrades To enter, simply upgrade to silver (1 entry), gold (2 entries), platinum (5 entries), or double platinum supporting membership (10 entries). November 5th is the last day to enter!

Famous MIM Stratocaster Players?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by The Thinker, Feb 19, 2011.

1. ntotoro

ntotoro Strat-O-Master

I'm pretty sure I read an interview with him about 10-11 years ago in which he said he used MiM bodies with CS necks.

Nick

2. stranger4life

stranger4life Strat-Talker

3. OldGuitarPlayer

OldGuitarPlayer Senior Stratmaster

4. Dont_Fret_None

Dont_Fret_None Strange Stringer

Famous MIM Players

This "surprise guest" is getting his Signature Model, soon.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2013
  5. Merglet

Merglet Strat-Talker

I remember when Colin James first came onto the Canadian music scene. A couple of reasons he didn't get bigger... His sound, in 88, was so... Kenny Loggins. Very vanilla, very mid-80's. Nirvana happened a couple of years later and that whole style of 80's pop-rock died quickly. Popular music became a lot more indie-style (and hip hop was really just starting to catch on)

Additionally, he behaved like he was a mega-star, in interviews, etc. Very arrogant, like he'd already "made it" when he was just starting out.

Just my opin.

Nevets likes this.
  6. 757ian123

757ian123 Strat-Talker

I'm not sure that he ever recorded with them, but all the guitars he used to smash were MIM's so he did play them live.

7. PetesWindmill

PetesWindmill Senior Stratmaster

Sweet zombie Jesus thread!!! I remember when this started!!!

8. fenderkev

fenderkev Most Honored Senior Member

Billy Joe Armstrong uses Blacktop Teles with a single SD JB humbucker!

9. Nuno

Nuno Strat-Talk Member

Noone told me this, but makes sense that fender strategically doesn't prefer top artist use the mim stuff. The thing is, fender doesn't need to do a thing about it, because fender knows we will all use USA fender as soon as we can. When you are a top artist or making good money you most likelly will put the mexican guitar aside. Its not a question of the mexican instruments are good enough or not for professional use (with a little help) - because they are- its about selling a brand with the USA stamp on it.
    CS stuff is the equivalent of the standard usa made stuff pre CBS, so you can see how far the brand went with this. I use Japan strats proudly..but we never know the future.
    Our mind works oddly. The same mechanism working when we think some " better" handwound pickups we'll make you sound better - you will in fact sound better because you believe it. Placebo effect big time.
    Only now I come to relax about this subject a bit myself, its about what you do not about what says in the headstock. . Well picked Mij and mim guitars are workingman gigging machines. Modd it without fear and gig pubs and clubs without panic of being robbed. Later when money falls on you lap you'll decide whattto do from there.