Fantasy Partscaster

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Zipperfoot, Oct 13, 2014.

1. Zipperfoot

Zipperfoot Senior Stratmaster

If you could take parts from any model Strat, put them together to make the ultimate Stratocaster, money no object, what parts would you use?

It doesn't even have to be Strat parts, could be Charvel, Warmoth, All Parts, Wilkinson, Etc.

For me I would start with an American Deluxe Body, no particular year, and add a custom Warmoth neck with a Wizard neck profile and stainless frets. I might even consider a pine body. From there I am not sure.

2. Stark

Stark Still an idiot

I'd put together an Aerodyne-style parts caster with the 24.75 scale/22 frets.

or….

….a parts caster with a neck like my '57 AVRI, only with 22 frets, D. Allen pups, vintage style trem, white pickguard/pups/knobs/switch and trem tips/tuners, alder body with a Rogue Bohemian nitro clear coat finish (if he would do the honors, of course). :)

3. albala

albala Most Honored Senior Member

Strat Plus parts plus pickups

4. libertarian

libertarian Strat-O-Master

63 sonic blue body, fat 58 maple neck and 58 pickups.

5. henderman

henderman Dr. Stratster

ultra light Ash body

Rock Maple neck w/ Brazilian Roswewood finger board - gold Evo frets

100% titanium trem/bridge assembly

1% CTS matched pots

Gotoh Delta tuners

No idea what pickups

Bone nut, nitro finish

6. bobseven

bobseven Strat-Talker

I'd get myself a Eric Johnson neck and mate it to 57 vintage reissue body. Then I'd acquire a lightly aged Callaham pickguard, knobs and pickup covers, matched CTS pots wired with one tone to neck and the other to bridge, and then finish it off with a Callaham tremolo and 57/62 pups.

I've done several partscasters, but this has all my dream bits.

Attached Files:

7. Percy

Percy Most Honored Senior Member

I'm building a late 60's strat with after market parts....i found an allparts relic neck med c profile very comfortable for my medium sized hands......i'm going too buy a MJT body with all the hard ware hard tail....i have early 70's staggered pole pick ups as close as i could get too 69 without breaking the bank...Being from Canada i'm waiting for the dollar too come around before i buy the MJT body......could be along wait.....it may not be a dream strat but its a strat i could afford......

8. BadBrad

BadBrad Strat-O-Master

I built my dream partscaster, basically a copy of an early-60's strat:
    Vintage-routed alder body, under 4 lbs, Fiesta Red nitro finish with some mild relicing
    Neck from USACG with soft-V profile, quartersawn maple, 6105 frets, 10" radius, and extra dark rosewood
    Fender vintage-style bridge and other hardware, aged
    Fender mint green pickguard with some aging
    Fender 57/62 pickups
    2nd tone control wired to the bridge pickup
    7.6 lbs complete

Attached Files:

9. Achyskic

Achyskic Senior Stratmaster

Isnt the EJ strat body already the same as a 57 reissue?

10. sam_in_cali

sam_in_cali Scream for me Strat-Talk! Silver Member

11. ZacZeppelin

ZacZeppelin Strat-O-Master

Ash body with a white finish that lets the grain shine through
    Light relicing
    Hipshot bridge
    Lace sensors with a Dimarzio Tone Zone in the bridge
    Alder neck
    Rosewood fret board
    medium jumbo stainless steel frets
    Satiny feel
    Neck profile like that one PRS I played (Wow im a bucket of information)

12. Yogi

Yogi Most Honored Senior Member

Yeah I was about to say, the body is already spec'd like a 57, even comes in 2 tone sunburst. Only difference is the neck plate and the fact it doesn't have holes for a backplate. Easily remedied

13. bobseven

bobseven Strat-Talker

Yes I believe it is but you can pick up a used 57 AVRI body much easier and a lot cheaper, especially over here in the UK where the choice is limited. It could just as easily be any year AVRI, but my first choice would be a 57, which is what I used.

You beat me to it Yogi.

14. Yogi

Yogi Most Honored Senior Member

Call me Quick draw Yogi ;)

15. Percy

Percy Most Honored Senior Member

nice strat.....what is the make of the strat body.....my late 60's strat is going too cost me 1300 Canadian....if you do not mind how much for yours...thanks percy

16. lineboat

lineboat Senior Stratmaster

I've got mine; a Road Worn with Texas Specials. Feels and sounds amazing.

17. BadBrad

BadBrad Strat-O-Master

The body was cut by Wildwood Manufacturing. MJT did the original finish with a bit of relicing, and I added some of my own relicing.

What I love most about this build is the neck. The contour, radius, and frets are perfect for me -- the most comfortable neck I've ever laid hands on.

Attached Files:

18. didger

didger Senior Stratmaster

I've already put together five fantasy partscasters. There's not really anything I'm GASsing for now, but if I wasn't a sucker for genuine Fender and was assembling a new partscaster, I would get a custom made neck based on the Vintage Hot Rod necks (7.25"-12" compound radius) but with truss rod adjust at the nut, a 22nd fret, and one of those asymmetrical necks that are D-shape at the top/low string side and C-shape on the bottom/high string side.

Here are the ones I've put together, left to right.
    - Moses lined fretless neck, Warmoth swamp ash hardtail body, EMG SA's, SPC and EXG

- I got a poorly put together partscaster from a local shop mainly for this 2001 American Deluxe HSS neck and the CS69 pickups in it. LSR roller nut, locking tuners, gold hardware all around. I bought the 2000 transparent crimson American Deluxe body and got it set up properly.

- This was the body from the last one after stripping a bad paint job and fixing some issues with the neck pocket. It doesn't seem to be genuine Fender or have any other identifying marks, but it's nice! I put American Standard hardware, Gilmour Black Strat style electronics and a Hot Rod 50s neck on it. This was my first taste of the 7.25"-12" compound radius that I now LOVE.

- I pulled these pickups (Seymour Duncan Custom-Custom and two Hot Rails) out of another kind of guitar a while back and decide to build a blackout hard rock Strat with them. 2013 American Deluxe body & hardware, 2007 American Select neck with LSR and locking tuners. I got this neck rather than a new Deluxe because of the so cool black headstock and because I don't really like the new Deluxe compound radius neck. Too flat and too wide for me. This one's thinner than the modern C spec and isn't my favorite in that regard, but I can live with it since I intended it to be more of a shredder.

- MIJ ST54 body & hardware, D. Allen Hot 54/59 pickups and another Hot Rod 50s neck since I liked the other one so much.

Attached Files:

19. mshivy

mshivy Most Honored Senior Member

My fantasy is to have the time to put together my partscasters. This hobby has gone out of control. And yes, Wolverine is holding one of my tele bodies. (That's actually my brother. ) Just seeing Sam's idea and Brad's guitar makes me want one of those too….

Attached Files: