Fastest car you've ever ridden in??

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by mikej89, May 29, 2021.

1. Elvie

Elvie Strat-O-Master

The fastest car I've ever travelled in would probably be one of the many Skylines that my husband has owned/borrowed.

Fastest cars that we own at the moment are a 1971 JDM Nissan S30 Fairlady Z with RB26DET motor Giken 0S88 sequential gearbox and MoTech management and an ex Team Alzen Nordschleife 24 1992 Carrera 964 Turbo Cup. The Fairlady is a current track car. The Alzen Porsche is just an investment now as its too valuable to risk racing.

2. s5tuart

s5tuart Perfecting time travel since 2525

My TVR Chimera.
    5 litre,
    Mark Adam's chip
    Flowed inlet
    Protech shocks
    Big bore exhaust.

never had it flat out but the fastest I drove it was 160MPH. Probably wouldnt go much faster.
    0-100 in 9 seconds.
    But in reality it was the theatre that was the best fun. It was LOUD!
    I used to drive down the high street in second gear, and mothers would clutch their children close to them.

Last edited: May 29, 2021
  3. Deafsoundguy

Deafsoundguy CERTIFIED HACK Silver Member

My only brush with car speed was with a rental (of course :oops:) Mustang 5.0 back in the early ‘90’s. I went to see my cousin out of L.A. where I was visiting to Rancho Cucamonga where he lived. Like a straight line east. Got her up to 130 and it was so stable and powerful it felt like it could go way faster. I was very impressed. I’m guessing nowadays they’d probably know I was naughty in their car :sneaky:. Actually I can’t believe I never bought one of those, it drove so well...

SurfsUp and s5tuart like this.
  4. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon

Jensen Interceptor.

[​IMG]

5. HighwayStar106

HighwayStar106 Senior Stratmaster

A friend of my dad's had a BMW E30 rally car, which I had a ride in once. It had an M3 engine in it (though it was a standard shell), so probably made around 250bhp. That thing was ballistic, and the guy even drifted it round a roundabout. Twice. :D

The fastest road car would a been another BMW actually, a V10 M6 that my dad nearly bought once. It sounded and went like a supercar, but sadly would have had the running costs of one too!

Andrew Wasson and fos1 like this.
  6. tatoo

tatoo Strat-Talker Gold Supporting Member

Audi RS6 C8.

7. fos1

fos1 Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

My son had a Rouch Mustang about 5 years ago. It had more horsepower than I knew what to do with. He let me drive it local, I was afraid of it. He sold it after he became a father.

I had a Suzuki GSXr-750 in the 90s. It was crazy fast. I took a racing course Suzuki offered in south Florida, 150+ --- tunnel vision. I don't think the leathers would have helped if I had balled it up.

Andrew Wasson, tatoo and duzie like this.
  8. ukoldgit

ukoldgit Most Honored Senior Member

Robin Reliant:D

9. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon

Reliant Robin, you don't say Cortina Ford do you?

ukoldgit and longboard blues like this.
  10. Malurkey

Malurkey Senior Stratmaster

Probably the Lotus Esprit. Maybe the Maserati 430ie. :thumb:
    EDIT: How could I forget the Porsche GT3 and Lamborghini Gallardo. But I only drove those on the track, never on an open road. Although these were faster, nothing quite matched the perception of speed of a Formula Renault car.

11. Archtops

Archtops Strat-Talker

My VW Bus!:D

12. omahaaudio

omahaaudio Senior Stratmaster

BMW M1 race car in the 80s. Was driven around the track at Sebring.
    Scary as s**t, but great!

Andrew Wasson likes this.
  13. Neil.C

Neil.C Most Honored Senior Member

I had a carburettor and tuning firm in the '70's so I drove many great cars.

I think for a thrilling ride you can't beat a Lotus /Caterham 7. Basically a rocket powered roller skate which really gives a feeling of speed. Handles really well also.

[​IMG]

Honorary runners up - V12 e-type or Porsche 911 Carrera.

Both lookers as well.

Last edited: May 30, 2021
    TremoloJoe, The_Whale, Bowmap and 8 others like this.
  14. Lonn

Lonn Mod Admin Staff Member

Admin Post
    I've been a car nut all my life but never really owned or driven any really flashy cars. I did rent a new Mercedes SLK230 while in Germany back in 98 so I guess that might qualify.

Believer7713 likes this.
  15. misterwogan

misterwogan Senior Stratmaster

One of these. 1984 Jaguar XJS-TWR 5.3 V12. 184 MPH on the a French autoroute in 1998. Got to the Peage and was fined £500.

HAS20339-3.jpg

16. tatoo

tatoo Strat-Talker Gold Supporting Member

You think right brother. 150+ It is all up to you and whoever waits on the other side if you screw up.

Andrew Wasson likes this.
  17. nutball73

nutball73 Senior Stratmaster

Not a car nut. Just bought this though - the oldest bike I currently own. 31 years old, but still good for over 160mph, 0-60 in a few seconds.

Fastest I've done was back in my magazine days - indicated 180mph on a ZX-9R (not saying where :whistling:).

Yamaha FZR1000R EXUP

20210509_104220.jpg

18. SpeedKing

SpeedKing Senior Stratmaster

Whilst a teenager at school I asked a near neighbour for a trip in his Countach 5000S and he proceeded to try to max it out to impress me presumably. At about 160mph a milk float pulled out 1/2 a mile ahead and by the time he decided he'd have to brake as oncoming traffic prevented a pass we ended up in a 4 wheel dry skid sheding huge amounts of rubber all along the tarmac.

I realised then there is no corroboration between a man's wallet size and skill sets.

I've been around race tracks in Formula Fords a number of times and did a fair bit of karting in my youth but nowadays I stick to my 30 year old Toyota. Still, I can confirm it's stated top speed of 137mph is accurate or even a little on the low side.....

_DSC0003.jpg

19. Believer7713

Believer7713 The Pink Bunnyman Frankenstein Silver Member

I was going to say that one too for a car. It was the first new car that my uncle bought and he still has it but his is all black. This is the only picture I have of it now.
    e839586eac4f7f49fa51a703f5db93b2.jpg
    The fastest I have ever been on wheels, though, was on my 2004 R1 st 187mph. I about killed my friend who was helping me tune it when he thought I had a picture of the speedometer and erased the speedo-healer memory. I do have a pic of it at 178 on a hard drive but would have to search for it. I was trying to break the 190 mark with it being naturally aspirated. If I would have gotten the super charger for it I would have broken 200mph. It didn't happen though. I wrecked and totaled it at the high speed of 23mph because some idiot decided to make a right turn from the far left lane in rush hour traffic.
    2094_1069411944341_1348_n.jpg

20. Stormy Monday

Stormy Monday Blooze daddy Silver Member

ditto

20151001_105814_resized.jpg

Neil.C, tery, Deathray and 1 other person like this.