Fastest car you've ever ridden in??

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by mikej89, May 29, 2021.

1. thomquietwolf

thomquietwolf Dr. Stratster Silver Member

Couldn't find pictures of mine
    Been 50 years or so
    Except mine said MfM on the doors
    And the lettering wasn't gold leaf
    f302f628057e18f8e7236b0968ff2b7a.jpg

Neil.C, Electgumbo, Dare1 and 5 others like this.
  2. Sarnodude

Sarnodude Most Honored Senior Member

Looking back... the fastest car I ever owned or drove is my current '93 Toyota MR2.
    It has a 300 hp 2GR-FE torque monster. Brutal acceleration in a 2800 pound car. The suspension has been heavily modified as well. This thing goes around corners really well, better than my old BMW M3.

Andrew Wasson and Agtronic like this.
  3. sssstratsss

sssstratsss Strat-O-Master

86 BMW e30 with a 600ish hp 2jz. It ran 10.8 at 125mph in the 1/4 on street tires spinning down the track.

2nd fastest would be a sleeper 600hp (q16 race gas) turbo vr6 jetta. Torque steer was insane in that one. Also been in a few 500+hp hondas that make corvettes and mustangs feel slow

People think they know what fast is until they're in something that simultaneously spins and pulls hard at 100+ mph lol

Agtronic likes this.
  4. Agtronic

Agtronic Senior Stratmaster

I owned and operated a speed shop from 2008 to 2013. I specialized in metal fabrication. My bread and butter was building custom turbo kits for B5 Audi S4s. (2000-2002 S4). They came in at about 220 hp stock and with my kit they would average 600 whp. (That's like 750 hp at the engine). These setups were by far the fastest cars I've ever driven.

My brother had a 2013 BMW M5 with a JB that made 650 HP. That was a fast car too. But didn't launch anything like the AWD S4s do.

Now I ride motorcycles and currently have a 2013 BMW HP4. I haven't met a car that even comes close to this level of acceleration. It would probably take a 1500 hp car to have a fair race.

Here's a video of an early S4 kit from 2008. You can hear the car is burning all four tires in 1st and 2nd gears. Really crappy old video... but you can hear what's going on.

Some more of that S4, this is a later kit I built with a single turbo, to make over 1000 bhp in the same car:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And the HP4:

New Project (1).jpg

5. zook

zook Strat-Talk Member

1963 Impala Convertible, 409/425HP Factory 4 speed.

Electgumbo and Andrew Wasson like this.
  6. Agtronic

Sounds like we are from the same school! Would love to see pics of that E30 and that VRT Jetta. I still have my MK3 Jetta that I've had since 1997. It's a rolling shell with a haldex AWD setup and the built 1.8T motor is sitting in my garage waiting for me to get motivated enough to work on it.

sssstratsss likes this.
  7. rolandson

rolandson Dr. Stratster

I had my Prius up to 112mph once...does that count?

I've been in a Jaguar XJ12. I imagine that it was capable of some very impressive speed, but...we observed the speed limit.

I've also been in spouse's brother's Porsche 911 Carrera. With spouse behind the wheel. (Remember that I have shared that she is the planet's worst driver...) I have no idea how fast we were going but, whenever I opened my eyes, she had a huge grin on her face. Tokyo traffic you understand.

Agtronic likes this.
  8. sssstratsss

mk3 jettas are awesome. Ive always wanted one with a vr6. We always joke and say they sound like chewbacca.

This is my brother in laws old car.

Same brother in law that had the e30. The 2j car was a drift car, now he has a super clean white one with a built turbo m20.
    Here is an old vid of the 2j vs a c6

vs a z28

and this was some random dude he ran into one night and later found this vid on facebook, hilarious

Current e30

I've had a bunch of 240s, but they've all been slow slidy cars lol

Agtronic likes this.
  9. ukoldgit

ukoldgit Most Honored Senior Member

Neil.C likes this.
  10. Agtronic

That's sick. Love the white E30. Oh man just got all worked up watching all these vids. Moving out to the suburbs and all my friends having grown up I sometimes forget how much I used to love this stuff. Thanks for sharing those videos. Thoroughly enjoyed those.

The MK4 Jetta is a perfect example of why I grew tired of FWD. So frustrating to have the power but be unable to put it down. Great entertainment factor though!

Here's a MK3 Jetta I did the kit and a cage on a long time ago, wish I had video of this car, it was making 550 whp and it just lit up the tires in 1-2-3.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Neil.C, Andrew Wasson and sssstratsss like this.
  11. Agtronic

Rocket-powered roller skate! hahahaha!

Neil.C likes this.
  12. Agtronic

A few more fun cars:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Neil.C, T Bone Slort and sssstratsss like this.
  13. Wayne Adams

Wayne Adams Strat-Talker

No air shocks. The only photos I have are from 1976, fading badly. I have one on my Kindle Fire, but I can't figure out how to load it from there... :oops:

duzie likes this.
  14. sssstratsss

MAN! That thing is so cool! Love fast fwd cars, totally different experience. And that mk3 just looks so clean dude, I love it! Very nice work, I love seeing fabrication like that

Agtronic likes this.
  15. HighwayStar106

HighwayStar106 Senior Stratmaster

Forgot to mention the fastest car I've ever driven - yet another BMW (can you tell I like them?), my dad's E46 325ti to be specific. Not quite as special as the E30 rally car or M6, but not bad considering it was only the second car I'd ever driven and that I was 14 years old at the time! (It was all legal by the way as I was on private land).

16. Falstaff50

Falstaff50 Strat-Talker

I had a friend back in the late 70s who did pin striping for dealerships as it was a popular option back. He had several tricked out muscle cars. He was dating a friend of mine in a small town about 2 hours east of Tucson AZ. We drove there in his 74 Charger SE with a 400 magnum engine a couple of times. One of the times he drove the whole distance and never got below 107mph. Got there in 1:15. He also had a 72 AMC Javelin that he had put a 500cc racing engine (barely fit). That one I never went that fast in but we got a ticket for doing 60 in a 45 zone once. He was in 2nd gear so I would imagine it could go much faster. All of his cars were also tricked out with fancy pin striping, glass packs, nice interiors and stereos as well. He was making a lot of money for the time and his age.

17. Clickitysplit

Clickitysplit Strat-Talker

Fastest car for me was a sport bike. My 2006 Suzuki GSXR-1000. Dead stock it would easily do 100 mph in first gear and I was able to get it up to 165 or so on the big track at Willow Springs. In terms of hp/$, nothing else comes close.

18. Philo426

Philo426 Senior Stratmaster

69 Superbee 440 Six-Pack ,Cragar S/S chrome rims .Gold body w/a black interior.4 speed Hurst shifter!

19. Andrew Wasson

Andrew Wasson Senior Stratmaster

This reminded me of a buddy's brother's mid 70's camaro. I got a ride in it in the early 90's. It was a serious machine. thousands of dollars under the hood of a fairly innocuous looking camaro. Gear driven custom cam, twin carbs. All the machining you would want for a well balanced, powerful engine with nitrous. It absolutely glued me to the back of the seat. I had a V8 Vega and I had several mildly done up Camaros. This thing was way beyond those in terms of hooking up and getting up to speed.

Also have a friend who builds compact drag race cars. His most powerful was a done up VW Golf with turbo VR6 and Nitrous. So much power that he just couldn't buy drive shafts that would hold together. He had it in some magazines in the early 2000's and K&N flew him and some other top cars to Spring Willows for a track day. He said it was pretty funny because he was a drag racer, not a road racer so he would nail it in the straights and pass everyone, then slow right down for the corners and get passed by everyone, nail it in the straights and pass everyone, rinse and repeat.

My 80's GSXR is fast but it tops out at 145MPH or so. Tunnel vision and the nagging thought that there's not enough leather to save your ass at that speed.

sssstratsss likes this.
  20. stratobiker

stratobiker Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

Fastest would be my friends Aston Martin.
    Fastest feeling would be my wife’s Renault Clio V6.
    Wildest ride would be a Fiat Uno Turbo.