Fat 60s?

Discussion in 'Pickup Forum' started by Colestrat, Apr 7, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Colestrat

Colestrat Strat-Talker

So I went to my favorite local guitar shop, and I asked the owner for a recommendation of strat pickups that sound like a vintage strat and he recommends the fat 60s set and this is my opinion but to me those pickups aren’t vintage, they are made with alnico ii magnets and they are hot pickups with an output of 6.7k, he says people really like them so he keeps ordering them but do they sound “stratty” to the people who own them,I’m sticking with my gut with the 57/62s but I’m just curious about your thoughts.

StummerJoe likes this.
  2. Antstrat

Antstrat Dr. Stratster

Never tried the Fat 60's, do like the Fat 50's though.

You'll be fine with the 57/62's.

BTW, don't totally rely on the specs and what the magnets are. I have some very hot pickups in one of my strats and it sounds very stratty. Or I can make it growl like a P90-ish. Learn to EQ your amp and adjust the pickups accordingly to what you want to hear.

Speaking of specs, I have zero clue as to what fret sizes my strats are, neck size/radius, etc etc. If it feels good it is good, if it sounds good it is good.

3. Colestrat

Colestrat Strat-Talker

Good rules to go by.

StummerJoe likes this.
  4. Antstrat

Antstrat Dr. Stratster

Well it's my rule after years or wasted time and money believing everything I read on guitar forums.

You need to find your own rules that work for you. Hell, it's flat out fun reading about gear and buying stuff so I'm not trying to kill your good time, do what makes you happy. :) My intent is only to offer an opinion based on my experience.

EC Strat, StummerJoe and Colestrat like this.
  5. Fenderbaum

Fenderbaum Strat-O-Master

My Gilmour strat have the Fat 50 and Fat 60 in mid and bridge (Don´t know which is where)
    I simply love the tone of that guitar. Stratty enough to me.

StummerJoe likes this.
  6. StummerJoe

StummerJoe Senior Stratmaster

+1 on the Fat 50's. Nothing wrong with the Fat 60's either. Just because they're hotter doesn't mean you can lower them for a more vintage response.

P/U height makes a huge difference.

Roll Tide likes this.