favorite band

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by highway jammin, May 15, 2006.

1. highway jammin

highway jammin Strat-Talk Member

I know that this kind of thing can be next to impossible to nail down, but what is your all time favorite band. For whatever reasons

Mine, I'm pretty sure, is The Band. I always thought that their music is a more fun side of rock, that is perfectly balanced. The solos are well done, but are put in at the right spots. The lyrics are good and fun, and the Band helpd Bob Dylan become infamous.

2. nvosmeier

nvosmeier Strat-Talker

Frank Marino and the Mahogany Rush. Frank continues to amaze me every time I hear him play.

tubedude likes this.
  3. OceanBoy

OceanBoy New Member!

Bruce Springsteen

I think it's aweful hard to beat this.

4. tjpsr

tjpsr New Member!

The Beatles, for obvious reasons

cranky likes this.
  5. OSdave

OSdave Strat-Talk Member

Skynyrd...

Houdi Elbow likes this.
  6. Strat-Talk

Strat-Talk Administrator Staff Member

Admin Post
    The Beatles would have to be my "all time" favorite, but I sure do like the Allman Bros and listen to their stuff all the time. But if anyone asks, I'd say the Beatles.

7. AZMike

AZMike Strat-Talk Member

Tough question. I agree with a lot of the choices in the previous posts, but I would probably have to categorize a little, which would make things even more complex. But, just for the sake of discussion:

Overall rock band, yeah, the Beatles. I have been listening to them for 42 years, and they still amaze me. Very close second would probably be The Band. As highway jammin put it so well, "perfectly balanced." And, like the Beatles, great songs, and great playing, as Townes Van Zandt might say, "for the sake of the song." Number three here would be the Byrds. They didn't last as long, and they had a lot of personnel changes, but they did some great stuff.

Blues-based rock: the Allman Brothers. I grew up near Cocoa, Florida, just down the road from Daytona, where Gregg and Duane grew up. I used to see the Allman Joys at Cocoa Beach Teen Town, a rock and roll dungeon for high school kids in the mid-60s. I liked them then, and I like the current ABB lineup now.

Country-rock, Americana, whatever you want to call it: the Burrito Brothers and Gram Parsons. Whether with the Byrds, Burritos, or his solo stuff, I could and often do listen to this guy all day.

Jazz: Miles Davis and alumni. I have owned Kind of Blue in LP, cassette, and CD formats over the years, but I don't really consider myself a jazz connisseur or anything. In the last few years, however, I have been picking up on John Coltrane, Herbie Hancock, and a bunch of Miles' other albums. It doesn't surprise me that Duane Allman loved Kind of Blue.

I better stop before I think of more categories and more artists.

Mike

8. totallyfrozen

totallyfrozen Strat-Talk Member

Re: Bruce Springsteen

Killer video!

Aaaah....I miss the 80's 8)

My musical tastes are too eclectic for me to have a favorite band. Heck, I can't even think of a musical style that I don't like.

9. RockinCarl

RockinCarl New Member!

My all time two favorite artists are Carl Perkins and Danny Gatton.

My favorite band would be the Stray Cats, and Led Zeppelin... thats a really hard question though. :eek:

10. weelie

weelie Strat-Talk Member

There are a lot of them, mostly swing, hard rock, funk and 60s RnB. But if I have to say to single out just one, it'd be:

JJ Cale.

That's not a band, I know, but I don't care. :)

11. Cassady

Cassady Strat-Talk Member

Ladies and Gentlemen, the Beatles

The Beatles are easily my favorite band--no question about it, if I could only have one group to listen to, it would be the Beatles.

That being said, my clear second choice would be the Clash.

After these two, there are a number of others that are closely grouped--the Band, the Rolling Stones, Midnight Oil, Los Lobos, U2, REM, the Derailers and a few others.

I should make a point to say that this only includes bands and not solo artists which is an entirely different kettle of fish.

Cassady

12. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Strat-Talk Member

Brownsville Station.

hey, Oceanboy, (or anybody), can you help me with that Yourtube link: everytime i go to one of those, i get a screen that says "Loading..." and that's as far as it ever gets, how long do those videos usually take to load?

13. AZMike

AZMike Strat-Talk Member

thunderbyrd,

Try putting it on "pause" as soon as the page opens, then let it load for a few minutes. The grey bar will go all the way across the bottom when it is finished loading and you can listen/watch in its entirety.

Mike

14. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Strat-Talk Member

Well, i've never been able to wait long enuff so far for one of those videos to load. but i would like to say that i saw springsteen and the E-street band twice during the 1978 Darkness on the Edge of Town tour. and i have never seen anything since to equal it, for me rock and roll pretty much went downhill from there. that tour was great, off the scale, incredible, the peak - every superlative you can come up with. i know that alot of people really don't like springsteen and i kinda understand it - but none of those people saw them on that 1978 tour... you woulda never been the same!

you know, there's something they say about the Velvet Underground: only 100 people or so ever heard them, but every one of those people went out and started a band after hearing them. After seeing bruce and e-street, i wanted to start a band so bad, i could see the contours and every aspect of it... but where i lived, i could just never make anybody understand.

oh well, rock and roll will never be sweet unless it's bittersweet.

15. GibSG61

GibSG61 Strat-Talk Member

My favorite musician probably has to be Paul McCartney. His solo work, and Wings. I really enjoyed his songs and his touring band druing '89 to '93. The Beatles, are the root of it, and so I drift in to the Beatles and back out to McCartney. i don't really care much for the other Beatle's solo work, except for John's. John had some good stuff. After that would probably have to be Eric Clapton.

16. FoxRodder

FoxRodder Strat-Talk Member

I was born 3 years after their debut album I believe - Boston

17. Boris Bubbanov

Boris Bubbanov Most Honored Senior Member

The Buffalo Springfield.

The Beach Boys were the main act that night, I band I have a lot of fine thoughts about, but boy where they outmanned.

Bubbanov

18. bobthecanadian

bobthecanadian Strat-O-Master

Favorite band? For me, this has changed at least a hundred times. Recently I have been listening to the Fabulous Thunderbirds/Jimmie Vaughn and Bill Kirchen, though.

At different times I have really enjoyed the following.

Jimi Hendrix
    The Doors
    Led Zepplin
    Rolling Stones
    Metallica
    DRI
    Accept
    Judas Priest
    Stevie Ray Vaughn
    Radiohead
    Robin Trower
    Robert Cray
    Johnny Cash
    etc...

Ask me again next week. It will probably change.

Bob

Tone Quest likes this.
  19. mustang_steve

mustang_steve Strat-Talk Member

I must be the odd man out here....my current favorite is Arch Enemy.

I'm a fan of many of the bands mentioned...but my tastes go mostly to metal in it's various forms.

20. bobthecanadian

bobthecanadian Strat-O-Master

This week my favorite is Albert King.

Bob