favorite beater guitar?

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by rocks, Jan 5, 2009.

1. rocks

rocks Strat-O-Master

A few years back I had an old Hondo II les paul copy with a bolt on neck. The neck was more like a tree trunk than any other I've played but for some reason I just loved playing on that old beat up guitar. I got it for $10 at a garage sale and played it daily once I got it adjusted to my liking. Whats your favorite beater guitar?

2. Brad Pittiful

Brad Pittiful Strat-O-Master

i dont have one...i have a strat...tele and a les paul...so i try to not beat on these babies

3. largo

largo Strat-Talker

like brad, i don't have a "beater" guitar, either in the sense of an old guitar that's beat up with age or a back-up kind of guitar that goes to the rougher gigs.

ive tried to maintain every guitar i've ever had in the best condition possible, so a beat up old guitar that i don't care that much about dings and such is not a concept i relate to.

i can see something to that latter sense of a "beater"="back-up" guitar to save the older sentimental instruments. i have a couple of acoustics, one old, one new (bought it this year). if it came to it, i'd rather see something happen to the newer, less sentimental and less expensive guitar.

4. 07 road house

07 road house Senior Stratmaster

I have a cheapo sammick Gregg Bennett 3/4 acoustic that was like a hundred bucks it is not beat up but it is a cheapo and I love it.

5. orcslayer

orcslayer Senior Stratmaster

I have a couple of "parts" Strats I made from various guitar parts. Trouble is, one of these is so good my band mates like it better than my MIA Fender! They complain if I use my Fender!

I use it in bars where I haven't played much until I get used to the crowd & vibe there, as I don't want to risk my Fender.

6. Dirt Rich

Dirt Rich Banned

I miss my Shane Targa A LOT. If I ever find one again I'll buy it in a heartbeat. I had no idea at the time that it was such a rare piece. Not made by Shane btw, it was a small company that went out of business in the 80's, but made one HELL of a nice guitar.

7. Shades of Blue

Shades of Blue Most Honored Senior Member

I'd have to say that my two squiers are my beaters. I keep my MIM in pretty good condition.

8. Jackie Treehorn

Jackie Treehorn Strat-Talker

The MIM James Burton is the old faithful that goes everywhere. A nice guitar with some good ole fashioned playing wear.

9. Diamond Jim

Diamond Jim Strat-O-Master

My Harmony H82 Rebel is pretty beat up and missing the arm for the trem. It needs fret work and I have a NOS pickup/control plate assembly for it that I've never gotten around to installing.

This guitar was my first electric;my folks bought it used when I demonstrated that I was going to stick with guitar. I eventually worked and saved enough to buy my "dream" guitar at the time-a Peavey T-60 with same finish as the one Louise Mandrell played on The Mandrell Sisters tv show. Since I didn't need a "cheap" Harmony anymore I sold it to a kid I was giving lessons to. He later gave it to another mutual friend. After several years that friend gave it back to me. While considerably worse for wear, strumming that guitar took me back to when I was first learning how to play and the passion I had for guitar as a teenager. Even with the scratchiness of the pots, it's got a tone I love and it's way easy to play, even with .12's on it. I'll keep it forever, I guess. It's not my main guitar by any means, but it's a comfortable "old friend" who still inspires me when I play it.

Sorry so long, just wanted to share.

Jim

10. ArlenBucy

ArlenBucy Senior Stratmaster

I have an old Lotus strat copy I've had for over ten years. I took it completly apart a while ago. I've now decided to build a 60's inspired partscaster out of my Dean so the lotus body is gettin all the Dean stuff. Its been through hell though and never quit on me.

11. ocelot

ocelot Strat-Talk Member

Yeah, MIM Squier Tele from '94: dings, gouges and scratches all over, but plays and sounds great with new pickups. Perfect for divey gigs. 2nd place would go to my '87 Fernandes Strat, but that thing's been so beat on over the last two decades that it really needs a new neck, so it's been sitting on the bench recently.

12. rocks

rocks Strat-O-Master

I've also got an old solid wood acoustic I picked up at a garage sale for $2. It was missing the tuners and the bridge but both were an easy fix. I also had to rehydrate it as it was dried out and had a crack on the back. Luckily the crack closed right up with some moisture. Its my favorite front porch guitar in the summer.

13. gdh1532

gdh1532 Strat-Talk Member

Glad to hear about the Lotus (I ended up getting one for free, putting fender neck and noiseless hots in it)

Cheap Ibanez , cheap kramer, and a cheap Jackson.
    I am building a partscaster from an old Lotus strat body.
    If this guitar works like I think it will , it might be my main go to guitar.

14. johnreardon

johnreardon Senior Stratmaster

I don't really know what a 'beater' guitar is, however, if it's one you play as often as you can, I have to say all of mine

15. rocks

rocks Strat-O-Master

By "beater guitar" I just meant any inexpensive guitar, a copy, low end model, whatever.

16. johnreardon

johnreardon Senior Stratmaster

Sorry. Us Brits, particularly old chaps, sometimes find it difficult to understand your version of English :D

Only got two inexpensive guitars, a Baja Tele and an LP Junior Special

17. S. Rock

S. Rock Senior Stratmaster

my old Framus accoustic is just chocked full of memories. as I've said before, I paid less than $30.00 for it in 1972. it was an "escape" when I was in the Army back then. I wrote some of my first songs with it. even learned to sing while playing with that old guitar. I still have it, although it is wose for wear. not alot of sound, but a great player.

18. ArlenBucy

ArlenBucy Senior Stratmaster

I have another beater I play sometimes. Its a little acoustic I bought for my daughter in Mexico for $20. It really, realy sucks but sometimes I can wring a nice tone out of it.

19. Jimi Hendrix

Jimi Hendrix Strat-O-Master

This thread is useless without pics! ;)

My first guitar is my 'beater' - S300 Strat copy, cost £80 new and i've put £80 into upgrades (new pickups & electrics) it actually plays and sounds really nice, i've thought about selling it (another guitarist wanted to buy it off me) but then i play it and i just can't let it go :oops:

20. softmonkey

softmonkey Strat-Talker

I have a black, 1983 Ibanez Roadstar II Strat. I leave it out, never wash my hands when I play it, never wipe it off, rarely change the strings but it's great because I can just grab it off the stand and turn on the amp and fire up the pedals and it's ready to go. With my Strats and LP, I wash my hands first, take it out of the case, wipe the strings off after I play, put it back in the case...sometimes I just want to grab a guitar, flip a switch and rock out and not worry about messing anything up or cleaning anything after, etc. It's got a bunch of dings, it never goes out of tune-- you can slam the headstock onto a wall and it'll stay in. It came with Dimarzios, a single coil in the neck and a humbucker in the bridge, but the bridge pickup had lost its luster and I replaced it with a Gibson Burstbucker I took out of the neck of my LP (I put a P90 in that neck). When I was first playing out this Ibanez was my main guitar, really well-built-- better built than the Japanese Strat I used to own. Now, it gets the job done but my main axe is an EJ Strat.