favorite beater guitar?

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by rocks, Jan 5, 2009.

1. adaptable

adaptable Strat-Talker

I have a Taylor 110 acoustic that is truly a fantastic "beater" acoustic. I picked it up for under $500, and its been on beaches & dive bars around the world!

I really don't have a beater electric, although my Line6 Variax is my all-purpose electric that I play at gigs where I could "lose" something.

2. rocks

rocks Strat-O-Master

I'll have to get a pic of my $2 beater acoustic. I got it at a garage sale missing the bridge and tuners. its a parlor sized guitar and solid wood. A little cleaning and a few spare parts and its my favorite guitar for summer time front porch playing.

3. Stratplayer

Stratplayer Senior Stratmaster

I had one of those too, back in my high school days!!! It was dark red with black pickguard/knobs/etc. A very good copy of a Les Paul with exception of the bolt-on neck. Somewhere around here I have an old picture of it with my Squier Wayne's World Strat that I still have to this day (although it has left me and came back a couple of times;)). I'll have to dig up that picture and post it up here. Mine had a Dimarzio Al DiMeola model humbucker in the bridge position when I bought it used, and the original pickup in the neck position. I always thought the neck pickup was awful noisey for a humbucker, so I replaced it and upon removing the chrome cover (I was a very curious kid), I found that it had just a single coil on a humbucker baseplate! My mother sold that guitar to a neighborhood kid while I was away in the military.:mad:

BTW, I think I have something that qualifies as a "beater": I bought my MIK Squier strat used at Guitar Center back in mid-2005 for $90.00 without even playing it because I knew I would have to change at least the bridge pickup and do a lot of setup work on it to get it the way I like my guitars anyway, but I just had to have it because I loved the color combination--cream colored body, maple neck, and white pickguard with the pickups and knobs starting to turn the same color as the body with age. Well, I fought with the thing for quite a while and could never get the action just right without buzzing, and the neck was constantly shifting around in its pocket on the body. I was just too stubborn to take it in and have the setup professionally done, and the whole thing was just too heavy for my liking. So, it ended up being my least favorite guitar and a beater. I would only ever play it when I felt like giving it a beating. I remember once reading an article about how Michael or Rudolph Schenker (don't remember which one) had busted a Flying V over the hood of a Mercedes-Benz (or Rolls-Royce?) to get a photo for an album cover and once he had the guitar repaired it was better than ever--well, same here. Recently I took one of my guitar's beatings too far and decided to see if I could make it playable again. I busted the cracks wide open so I could get the glue deep down in them, then clamped the body back together. I also had to use oversize neck joint screws since the holes in the neck were completely stripped out. Once I had the neck remounted and the strings on it so I could tell that it was lined up perfectly, I drilled holes in the body adjacent to the neck pocket in the area that would be hidden by the pickguard and filled any gaps between the body and neck with glue. I have no idea why but this guitar now plays like a dream, and the neck does not budge. Out of the 9 guitars I currently own this is easily in my top 5, and I take it easy on it now.:cool: BTW, the "OUCH!" sticker is a sort of a joke from my wife. She made that on my electronic label maker and stuck it in about the same spot as the "Play Loud" sticker on Yngwie Malmsteen's famous '72 Strat (I'm a huge Yngwie fan).

Pictures:
    http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa308/24vCTD/Guitars/distressed strat/DSC00013.jpg

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa308/24vCTD/Guitars/distressed strat/DSC00017.jpg

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa308/24vCTD/Guitars/distressed strat/DSC00018.jpg

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa308/24vCTD/Guitars/distressed strat/DSC00020.jpg

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa308/24vCTD/Guitars/distressed strat/DSC00023.jpg

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa308/24vCTD/Guitars/distressed strat/DSC00025.jpg

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa308/24vCTD/Guitars/distressed strat/DSC00027.jpg

Last edited: Mar 6, 2009
  4. orange bullet

orange bullet Strat-Talker

that squier looks like the neck is sweet^ is that a squier II i have 2 of those and love em

5. Stratplayer

Stratplayer Senior Stratmaster

You referring to mine? It's a MIK Squier; no II behind it. I once had a Squier II that was made in India and didn't like too much about it other than the very large frets it had. The neck on this guitar didn't play too well until my, um, operation on it. It was OK for playing chords and stuff but barely playable when it came to lead work. I also took a palm sander with some fine-grit paper to the back of the neck to rough up the finish and make it easier to slide around on, but kept the high-gloss clearcoat on the fretboard and front and back of headstock because it does look sweet. As noted before, I very much like it now. I don't know if it's because the angle or depth of the neck in relation to the body changed or what, since the cracks in the body did not close completely when I glued and clamped it. All I know is it's stable as heck now, sounds good, and I like the way it plays. I still wish it was a bit lighter but I don't think it would be too wise to remove any wood from it especially given it's condition.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2009
  6. StratmanNick

StratmanNick Senior Stratmaster

It has to be my Sunburst MIJ Strat, its the guitar I'm less precious about. I use it for outdoor gigs and lending to band member.

7. kreature007

kreature007 New Member!

8. rocks

rocks Strat-O-Master

I've never even heard of a Shane Targa, anyone got a picture of one?

9. orange bullet

orange bullet Strat-Talker

i just got a sunburst ion ? weird name brand for 25$ been playing it the past hour its decent i just mainly wanted the body

10. elementlax

elementlax Senior Stratmaster

my MIA black strat (only guitar lol)
    only had it for a year and you can see some wood from paint comin off on the back

11. hendrixfan

hendrixfan Senior Stratmaster

i like the aria i,ve gotten hold of but admit i do,nt take care of it the way i should,i,m in the process of modding it,

12. StratmanNick

StratmanNick Senior Stratmaster

Good to see you back mate!!

13. Intonator

Intonator Strat-Talker

I have a 68/69 KAY solid body that sits buy my desk.
    It's the one I pick up the most, just to mess around.

14. bowhunter

bowhunter Strat-O-Master

Haven`t heard that name in a long time,,,Hondo II,,Way back when I took the pick-ups off my black les paul copy and put them on my Fender Strat,,that would be crazy today,,,But it was cool in 1979 I wanted to be like EVH lol

15. rocks

rocks Strat-O-Master

I remember friends taking P90's out of their SG's to replace them with Mighty Mite pickups, what were they thinking?