Favorite guitar plugins

Discussion in 'Home Recording Studio' started by Ampedup, May 19, 2021.

1. Ampedup

Ampedup Strat-Talker

What are your favorite guitar amp plugins and why.

I'm using BiasFx2 right now, it has a lot of effects and options. It get a good distorted and clean sound although I don't think it does that sustainy more articulate sound like Van Halen or the Dumble sound. I have some Amplitude stuff too but don't care for it, although I use their bass rig which does sound good. I trialed Scuffham's S-Gear and it was good but decided to buy the Bias instead because of all the included Fx.

2. fezz parka

fezz parka fezz parka

The stock amp models that come with Logic.

3. misterwogan

misterwogan Senior Stratmaster

I have them all: Amplitube, Bias, Guitar Rig, Waves GTR, Logic Amp...
    I don't use any of them in the final mix, I just use Amplitube 5 as an offline amp-sim so the I can capture the raw guitar audio. Later, this will be output to my re-amping setup which sends the raw guitar audio out to my tube amp through a variety of pedals and then back in Logic.

4. Seamus OReally

Seamus OReally Mr. Serious Gold Supporting Member

The Logic models are swell, but when I'm working in Digital Performer I usually go for GuitarRig. I only use a modeler for squeaky clean or modulated tones. Otherwise, it's my amp.

5. Ampedup

Ampedup Strat-Talker

That's in interesting setup, hadn't thought of doing that. So are you miking the amp or does it have a direct out with some kind of cab sim?

Last edited: May 19, 2021
  6. misterwogan

misterwogan Senior Stratmaster

This is the chain:
    Output from Logic -> Palmer Re-Amp Box -> Pedal -> Fender Bassbreaker Head -> Palmer PG04 (Power Soak and Cab-Sim) -> Back to Logic. I'm not using the emulated line out of the amp, but the main speaker out from the power stage. So I get the full tone of the EL34 tubes.

It means that I don't have to decide on tone when recording, I can do that later by looping the audio while adjusting settings on the pedal and amp. I also get to make any adjustments to the dry recorded audio, such as: quantisation or pitch correction - before it goes out to the amp.

7. Seamus OReally

Seamus OReally Mr. Serious Gold Supporting Member

I have my amp set up with a ribbon mic hanging in front of it, with the mic plugged permanently into one of the channels in an ART MPA II peramp. Flip two switches and you're ready to record.

8. Dreamdancer

Dreamdancer Senior Stratmaster

Neural dsp,Mercuriall,Kuassa,to name what i believe to be the best ones.Regardless of that though i think the most important part is to have quality impulse responses.All of them can sound great if you get some quality pack of impulse responses and replace the speaker cabinet/mic on your amp sim......better spend your money there before starting to hunt for various amp sims.

9. Ampedup

Ampedup Strat-Talker

Bias sells Celestion speaker sims, haven't bought any so don't know if they are any better than what I have with BiasFX. What do you consider a really good IR?

10. Stephen James

Stephen James Strat-Talker

I love Ownhammer IRs..

I use an Eleven Rack interface for dry+wet signal and then reamp through the 11r again if I need to change the tones. Rarely, I will use logic pro's amps..

11. Otisblove

Otisblove Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

Amplitube 4 and 5. 5 really sounds good. It's different than what I'm used to, so it's taking me a while to get the hang of everything, but I've got no complaints.

12. Ampedup

Ampedup Strat-Talker

Oh oh, You got me wanting the DSP Archetype Plini. It's got some pretty great sounds on the demos.

Dreamdancer likes this.