Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Favorite non fender strats?!

Discussion in 'Non-Fender S-Type Guitar Forum' started by Holdeezy, Sep 11, 2014.

1. mw13068

mw13068 Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Jul 29, 2009
    Ithaca, NY
    Jay Turser JT-300m. As good as a MIM Strat, at 1/3 the price.

[​IMG]

2. stratyourstuff

stratyourstuff Strat-Talk Member

Apr 22, 2011
    UK

3. Eezee

Eezee Strat-Talk Member

Jun 5, 2009
    U.K.
    Stunning! :)

4. Ahnlaashock

Ahnlaashock Senior Stratmaster

Jul 23, 2014
    St. Louis Area
    Jay Turser 300 in red, white, rosewood. Even my tech and teacher are impressed with the Tursers. I have a second in Tobacco burst that I am still working on the set up. It does not have the life to it that the other one does, or at least not yet. I also have their Gold 220 LP.
    One of the cheapest used guitars out there.
    [​IMG]

5. dogletnoir

dogletnoir Most Honored Senior Member

Nov 1, 2013
    northeastern usa
    Fernandes Limited Edition HSS with fully scalloped fingerboard:
    [​IMG]
    Fernandes Limited Edition SSS with partially scalloped fingerboard:
    [​IMG]
    Tokai Springy Sound:
    [​IMG]
    All three are pretty amazing guitars!

6. Davey77

Davey77 Strat-O-Master Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 29, 2014
    Monroe WA
    One of the nicest playing Strats I have ever got my hands on. Stock Lotus one piece maple necks to die for.
    [​IMG]

My first Lotus Strat. Both pups are split with minis. No electrics are stock on this one. Dedicated volumes and one master tone, replaced tuners and nut too.
    [​IMG]

I bought another one of these 70's Lotus recently but it is still in the to do pile. I will buy any others I find at a good price too.
    You can spot the early Japanese and Korean built Lotus by the bridge, narrow string spacing and fantail back, very comfortable on the palm.

The guitar that started my modding because I broke the volume pot and am too tight to pay for anything to be done. 70's Cort. Plays like a dream and sound very good stock.
    [​IMG]

I got a Cort G-200 this year too and it is also surprisingly good stock, I would have kept it but I don't care for jumbo frets at all. Cort seems to make some very nice guitars, I have at least 5 Squier made by Cort.

7. Ahnlaashock

Jul 23, 2014
    St. Louis Area
    I don't have pictures except when it came home.
    1986 Lotus Sharp Edged Super Strat, model 1110. The catalog shows a spectrum of quality levels, with this one being second from the top. The 1190 had a set neck and sculpted body. I don't remember if the body is ash or alder, but it is heavy as a boat anchor.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sweet guitar if you are sitting down. It's only sin is that it weighs in a little over 12 pounds.

8. Hal Nico

Hal Nico Senior Stratmaster

Apr 28, 2012
    JAMOADR

9. Rockape

Rockape Most Honored Senior Member

Oct 23, 2008
    UK
    Grecos:

1980 Super sound:

[​IMG]

1981 Spacey sound:

[​IMG]

10. ocean

ocean Most Honored Senior Member

Apr 14, 2015
    In a house
    What do they mean by 3/4 size ? Body ? Almost bought one but my teacher said I would not like it cause of the size,, I never did try it out tho.. Hmm

11. ocean

Apr 14, 2015
    In a house
    Only one I got that is not a fender,, very inexpensive but I like it..Yamaha

Attached Files:

12. Ahnlaashock

Jul 23, 2014
    St. Louis Area
    I am not sure why someone would call them 3/4.
    This is a CN2 Squier Series and my JT-300 with the glossy neck sitting side by side. There may be a couple if millimeters difference here and there, but they are the same size for all practical purposes.
    I have a second example. It is also virtually identical to the Squier Series body, at least as far as size. The red one is 1.754 measured at the upper strap horn with a digital caliper. The Squier Series is 1.8x. I forget the exact measurement, so they are close even in thickness.
    These are full sized bodies on full length guitars.

[​IMG]

13. jaybones

jaybones Most Honored Senior Member

Sammick
    [​IMG]
    Donor body for a partscaster. This is part way through the build, Fender neck installed, Fender black PG with eBay Hong Kong pickups and electronics. Graph Tech saddles are in, but preamp and separate volume not in yet.

Now has Lace Sensor reds with a Gilmour switch.

14. ocean

Apr 14, 2015
    In a house
    Thanks for the response.. I am going follow up now.. In my price range.. ;)

15. Davey77

Apr 29, 2014
    Monroe WA
    Nice looker!
    I just received a J Turser I won at auction, no idea of model number, there is nothing on it. Nice thick body and a pretty dang decent neck, not bottom of the barrel tuners either, thankfully no jumbo frets.
    I would have to dig it out of storage to compare but I think this J Turser is exactly like a Glen Burton Strat I have. Seems I remember reading that Turser, Glen's and EPI are all built at the same place, maybe add Bridgecraft to the group.
    On the Turser you can see and feel a slight rise where the body wood is joined below the bridge. Any body else ever run across this? No cracks in the paint, very weird.

16. Ahnlaashock

Jul 23, 2014
    St. Louis Area
    A lot of the time you can feel the joints on the pieces on older guitars. My Tursers don't show seams, but some of my guitars do. My brown burst model is your basic three piece body. Two pieces are pretty well grain matched, but the third, lower section with the controls, doesn't even look like the same kind of wood.
    The red one is just a solid strat that sounds pretty good, and plays pretty well too. The burst model is sitting beside me as I type. I am still working the action down a little at a time.

17. spikypaddy

spikypaddy Senior Stratmaster

Jan 7, 2011
    Devon, UK
    My early 90's Encore Strat copy - the pickups need potting still, but it plays beautifully and sounds better (more "Stratty") than 99% of the Strats I've ever played. In less direct light it's a beautiful transparent cherry red, and the scratchplate has aged beautifully, what was bright white is now a lovely parchment colour.

[​IMG]

18. Davey77

Apr 29, 2014
    Monroe WA
    Ahnlaashock, thanks.

I thought about sanding her down and painting it a cream or blue or gold or purple :) it is a nice fat body and I seam to be collecting maple necks so have a few candidates. However it is an SSS body and I lean towards an HB in the bridge these days.

In any event, I think the JT is a hell of a bang for the buck!

19. Ahnlaashock

Jul 23, 2014
    St. Louis Area
    Like someone else said. It is a very nice time period to be into guitars.

20. dearlpitts

dearlpitts Strat-O-Master

Feb 28, 2011
    CA