Favorite Strat pickups

Discussion in 'Pickup Forum' started by bb, May 3, 2006.

1. thaus

thaus Most Honored Senior Member

Fralin SP43's- awesome tones, lots of quack, hotter than normal but in a good way!

Copperhead 59's - more vintage tones but they do have some hum! Nice handwound pups for good prices!

Fender Custom Shop Fat 50's - these guys sound really good and really work with picking dynamics

Seymour Duncans - My recording strat for silent operation! Lil 59, and duckbuckers. Great tones and quiet as a mouse.

2. NewOldStock

NewOldStock Strat-Talk Member

I figured this guy might know what he was talking about. I ordered & installed a set last week and love them. That bridge/middle position is unbelievable. And fairly inexpensive at $62 set.
    Code:
    # Bridge Pickup HOT 9.4K
    # Middle Pickup 5.5K
    # Neck Pickup 5.35K
    GFS Texas Premiums

3. Amps63

Amps63 Strat-Talker

I love the Fralin Vintage Hots I have in my 88 Strat Deluxe. I just bought a new 62 Hot Rod Reissue with the 57/62 pups. I'm trying it tonight for the first time at rehearsal. If they don't work for me I might give the Bare Knuckles Irish Tour set a try. Has anyone tried Bare Knuckle pickups? Comments?

4. chief

chief Strat-Talk Member

pups

on my '74 strat I have 2 dimarzio area 58 pups and 1 area 62 in the bridge position. They sound great and get rid of the hum also

5. Orlando Mike

Orlando Mike Senior Stratmaster

I have two configurations that I really like....SD Antiquity Set (Texas) in my 57' reissue...the 57/62's just didnt have the punch I was looking for...
    [​IMG]

and in my Fender/Warmoth homebuild, I have a lil 59' split in the bridge...and a couple of Antiquity surf 60's in the neck and mid....
    [​IMG]

I just loaded my 88' FMIC with another lil 59' (not split) and 2 dimarzio Class of 55 reissues which I'm not 100 percent sold on yet...but I do like them ok (I retained the orig loaded pickguard)
    [​IMG]

6. BluesForDan

BluesForDan Strat-O-Master

I do not know what pickups are in my guitar, it is a 2006 Custom Shop NOS '58, hardtail, white blonde with a one piece maple neck, single ply 8 screw guard. The gutiar is resonant as all get out and go, the pickups seem a little dark, muffled.

I've recently heard a CS '56 with Abigail Ybarra hand wound custom pickups. This flat out had the best tone I've ever heard on any strat that wasn't a 50-plus year old unmolested original. Piano like lows, sparkling shimmer to the highs without being harsh or spiky.

I don't think the CS 69 are what I'm looking for. I may have to go the custom wound path, and I'd vastly prefer to get some Custom Shop Abigail Ybarra pickups.

7. gpower

gpower Strat-Talk Member

My favorites, so far, are Rio Grande Vintage Tallboys.

8. s-strats-D-rvb

s-strats-D-rvb Strat-Talk Member

I think the Fender CS 54's are # 1 for me. I also like the CS 69's......

9. unzari

unzari New Member!

To resurrect this thread I'll cast my vote for Duncan Surfers.

10. Gary C.

Gary C. New Member!

My favorite Strat pickups are no longer made.
    They are Van Zandt Vintage Fullertone pickups.
    They sound like a '50's Strat,to my ears.Just perfect.
    I've got a set in a 1996 American Standard,a set in a Warmoth parts Strat,and a spare set that have never been out of the boxes.
    If you ever get a chance to get a set,I'd highly recommend it.

11. cdhopkin1977

cdhopkin1977 New Member!

I have to plump for the EMG-SAs. I do a lot of PC based recording and Gilmour type things and the EMGs are great for direct recording (and using VST plug-ins) and for driving effects.

I find them very versatile not sterile sounding at all.

12. Dixie Duncan

Dixie Duncan Strat-Talk Member

I just put my Bare Knuckle pickups in my 2002 Highway One last night. F'n amazing! I didn't put her down til 7am. I got the Slow Hand set slightly overwound with base plates on the middle and bridge. I'm in love...again.

13. Doug Ferguson

Doug Ferguson Strat-Talk Member

I really like the '54's and the Texas Specials. Kind of world's apart tone-wise, but that's what I like about them. The '69's are pretty sweet to. I think most of the CS pups hold their own against the boutique ones. Good QC, materials, and craftsmanship. I also use a fair few GFS pickups and have yet to be disappointed, especially with the greybottoms.

14. Gary C.

Gary C. New Member!

I had a 2000 SRV Signature Strat.
    It was a great guitar,except for the pickups.
    No idea if they all sound the same or not,but that set of Texas Specials was the worst set of guitar pickups I've ever had.I despised them.
    Kept the guitar several years,and put some Van Zandt Blues in it,which made it sound much better.Never played that axe much,as I'm kind of "bonded" with my other 2 Strats.Sold it,and the guy that has it now loves it.
    Good to know it is getting played.

15. imamooc

imamooc New Member!

I heard the Dimarzio area pickups are really good. In fact, I was thinking of getting some , but I haven't heard them much, other than a youtube review. I want to put a 58 in the neck, a 67 in the middle, and a PAF in the bridge. Hmmm...

16. cdt194

cdt194 Strat-Talk Member

I have currently have 3 strats all with different pickup sets. First is a USA strat with fender custom shop 69 strat pickups. These I like they're pobably my favoirte.
    I also have a MIM strat with Fralin Woodstock 69 pups. This one sounds nice. I've thought about putting them in my MIA strat and decided against it.
    I have another MIM with stock pickups these I don't like so much I have a set of SCNs that I'm going to put in it soon as I have a wiring diagram that isn't so difficult to follow. I've herd both good and bad things about the SCNs I've not had the chance to try them yet. I really do like the vintage noise that comes from strat pups but I'm really looking for something with a more modern noisless sound for this one. I'll report back once I get the SCNs wired in and let you all know how it goes.

17. gguitar55

gguitar55 Strat-Talk Member

I don't see a lot of support for Kinman's although his web site makes a really good argument for who he is and what he does. Seems to care and be VERY precise. I haven't pulled the trigger on a set yet but I might. My current favorites are the custom ones that came with my Eric Johnson model. They jump. Let's remember that it's not just the pickups, it's the entire interplay at work in the guitar as a whole. A bright harsh body wood may need a mellower pickup--and so forth. It's a system. Leo said the guitar and the amp are a kit. They are made to go together. Impedance means something.

18. rudy426

rudy426 New Member!

Strat Pickups

All pickups sound different through different amps, it's a matter of finding that right combo. I have Copperhead 67 pups that sound good through a Blues Jr but shine through a Blues Deluxe. One man that doesn't get the recognition that he deserves is Dave Stephens. The man is a tone genius and his pups sound great through anything. Drive these pups and you will walk away with a big smile on your face, if you can put them down.
    Home: SD Pickups, Custom-Made Hand-Wound Pickups by Dave Stephens, Stephens Design

19. 60strat

60strat Strat-Talk Member

personaly i like the alnico III's that are in the highway ones
    very versatile pick up thats what i like in a pick up.

20. rudy426

rudy426 New Member!

gguitar55

You are correct, It is the wood, system, your picking and ear that really matter. Tone all the way.