Fear Not the Table Saw

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by Paperback Rocker, Feb 17, 2021.

1. vid1900

vid1900 Most Honored Senior Member

I can't picture it in my mind, but even if you have to remove the guard, you'd still have the Riving Knife in place, yes?

You always want the larger part of the remaining stock to the right of the blade

2. Bob the builder

Bob the builder Most Honored Senior Member

Yes, the knife in place.
    IMG_20210219_140636349.jpg
    I often/usually had to make 100 or so pcs at a time to build a master mold for things like earring cards,knives,eyewear...
    Alot of those earring molds would need pcs. cut 1/8 x 3/4(or better) x 1 1/2".
    means I got to rip a few "very consistent" cuts at 1/8" before I can cross cut.
    Sorry, only scribble paper & pen I could put my hands on

Last edited: Feb 19, 2021
    vid1900 likes this.
  3. Bowmap

Bowmap I nose a thang or two Platinum Supporting Member

I can see prawls being an issue as mine are in my guard, but a riving knife should not be a problem. I worry more about blade binding in that case. You are so close and the offcut is so thin I have had them catch the blade even before they reach the riving knife. Small pieces are a bit tricky and they do tend to wind up 30 feet behind you.

vid1900 and Bob the builder like this.
  4. Bob the builder

Yeah,
    Your saw better be set up better than your strat.

henderman, vid1900 and Bowmap like this.
  5. vid1900

Gotcha, now I see it.

That's some dangerous cutting right there, because the larger material is not against the fence.

Bob the builder likes this.
  6. Bob the builder

I had a couple very good people to learn from.

vid1900 likes this.
  7. Jimgchord

Jimgchord Strat-O-Master

All table saws come with a riving knife nowadays

vid1900 and LPBlue like this.
  8. LPBlue

LPBlue "That Guy", again...dammit!

Invented by a lawyer with visions of his technology brcoming mandatory by legislation:rolleyes:

9. vid1900

The internet has been saying that for two decades, lol.

Instead "the lawyer" simply made the best table saw in it's class.

Heaviest, smoothest running, safest saw on the market.

Deafsoundguy likes this.
  10. circles

circles Resident Pinball Enthusiast

The table saw is more afraid of you than you are of him.

11. Bob the builder

That made me laugh
    I remember OSHA coming to a shop I worked in.
    While they kept em busy in the office for a few minutes we ran around the shop pulling plugs & cutting cords on the machines that didn't have the two safety switches or proper guards.
    We wired em back up as soon as they left.
    Ahh...the good old days

Bowmap and vid1900 like this.
  12. Paperback Rocker

Paperback Rocker Do it or screw it.

Never let the table saw see your fear.

circles likes this.
  13. StratUp

StratUp Strat-O-Master

Used the table saw I inherited from my Grandfather for decades. It was built in 1949. Cast iron, cast iron wings, belt driven motor the size of a beer keg: solid saw and it stayed put for sure.

It never heard of a safety device. I made up some pusher sticks to use.

The only time I had an issue was one day when I was cutting 3/4" pine with the fence and there was a 1" wide strip between the blade and the fence. I was pushing with the pusher-stick on the part of the board outside the fence because I didn't want the pusher in the blade area (safety first). Unfortunately, that left a thin strip of pine between the fence and the blade and it caught an fired back at 70mph, hitting me in the abdomen (whoops, missed a safety step that day).

Didn't draw blood, but I got a compression injury. Bruise healed; scar took years to fade away.

14. Bob the builder

The only time I had an issue was one day when I was cutting 3/4" pine with the fence and there was a 1" wide strip between the blade and the fence. I was pushing with the pusher-stick on the part of the board outside the fence because I didn't want the pusher in the blade area (safety first). Unfortunately, that left a thin strip of pine between the fence and the blade and it caught an fired back at 70mph, hitting me in the abdomen (whoops, missed a safety step that day).

Well that was silly, wasn't it?

15. Bowmap

Bowmap I nose a thang or two Platinum Supporting Member

The corner of my index finger was removed. My main saw has a zero clearance throat plate. I do not worry about dropping small pieces into the bowels of the saw. Also the saw has twice the run in distance to the blade. The saw is not fun to move from site to site as it weighs a couple hundred pounds and to manage that weight, I would break it down. The cast iron wings come off, the fence system, the legs, the motor all down to managable and liftable sizes. I decide for one job I was on I would buy a portable wheeled job site table saw. The throat plate has about a 1/2 gap to the blade. Making a bunch of returns for window trim (read small bits). These had custom profiles that I had done on my router to match century trim in the house I was putting a first level master suite on. It is a lot of work to setup for profiling pieces as it involves various bit changes. So I am happy with the profile pieces and started to cut the returns when the I saw the return start to drop into the gap. Yup... I reached to save the return and it disappeared so instead of touching wood, I felt carbide. It was a stupid thing but it was also instinctive to reach to save it. Nice white bone. But the bone was not damaged at all. 2 seconds.

Day two found me carrying in the sections of my main saw.

vid1900 and Deafsoundguy like this.
  16. ShaoCan

ShaoCan New Member!

I was in a similar situation, too, and all I was interested in was a place where I could find a quality saw. I searched for a long time on various forums for an answer to this question, learned from friends and acquaintances where I could find such a thing and finally found reviews of the best saws on this market. I found it so useful that I could not choose one option, I bought two at once because each of them had their own special features and it interested me more, because today you can rarely find such a thing, but I managed, fortunately.

17. Deafsoundguy

Deafsoundguy Strat-o-hackster Silver Member

18. vid1900

That is just a click bait website.

There are no actual reviews on it, just strangely worded descriptions of a bunch of tools - and of course lots of affiliate links.

"You can cut precisely even if you need this saw for professional use."

Ummm, OK