Join Strat-Talk Today

Felt Washers Melted Onto Finish

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Chuck8436, Mar 22, 2020.

1. Chuck8436

Chuck8436 Strat-Talk Member

I was doing some maintenance on a '98 MIM strat and I took the strap buttons off for the first time in over a decade. I noticed that the felt washers pretty much melted onto the body. I dont know how this could have happened, but there are bits of felt that look like dry wood glue on the finish (I didnt glue them on). Anyone experienced this before? Any ideas on how to remove it safely would be appreciated.

2. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Most Honored Senior Member

could be the washers had an adhesive on 'em that reacted with the finish, or the material the actual felt was made of could have done it..

What happens with some finishes, and most prevalently with Nitro is synthetic materials contain a chemical, referred to as a plasticizer in the industry, that is added to hard plastics the make them more flexible.. to the point of being moulded into fake leathers.. that chemical can migrate into the lacquer... causing what ya see before ya.

r

Last edited: Mar 22, 2020
  3. Chuck8436

Thanks for your reply. That sounds likely. Do you think theres a way to fix this without damaging the finish or am I screwed?

3bolt79 likes this.
  4. Deafsoundguy

Deafsoundguy Strat-Talk Member

Me personally, I would try some WD40 in a test spot and see if that does the trick.... but that’s me anyway....that stuff works wonders in so many ways.

5. Ronkirn

I would remove the washers .. and use tweezers to remove any fibers remaining.. then check to see if the distorted finish is soft.. if so... it's going to be difficult.. the soften lacquer will have to be removed, then the finish spot repaired...

3bolt79 and Chuck8436 like this.
  6. BuddhaFingas

BuddhaFingas Strat-Talker

Larger-diameter strap buttons?

Ruscio, eclecticsynergy, mone and 2 others like this.
  7. Gevalt

Gevalt Strat-Talker

May I ask what reason to remove them you have? Best of luck. I'd leave it, but I can't diagnose it.

3bolt79 and Chuck8436 like this.
  8. Chuck8436

Hey guys, thanks for your replies. I thought about wd-40, I might try that. The area isnt soft, its hard as a rock. I'll upload a picture of it. Gevalt, I removed them because I was cleaning the finish and I noticed some gunk around the washers. The gunk turned out to be the washers themselves. BuddhaFingas, they are slightly larger than most. I have some experience with refinishing but I really dont want to have to do that on this guitar. It used to be white but its yellowed over time and I like the yellowing. Any refinishing would be a last resort.

9. Chuck8436

Thats how it looks. Its like that under both strap buttons.

Attached Files:

10. Chuck8436

This guitar was gigged pretty heavily back when I was still playing in bands. Its been rained on and has been played outdoors in temperatures ranging from 30 degrees to 110 degrees. Maybe that might be why this happened. I always wiped it clean after playing it and is in pretty great shape other than this situation. I never thought to take the strap buttons off when I was cleaning it until I discovered this though.

3bolt79 likes this.
  11. 3bolt79

3bolt79 Most Honored Senior Member

I would just get a different washer, or put the old one back on, and put the strap button back on. It looks like it’s down to the wood in a couple places. Put it back together and forget about it is what I’d do.

12. Chuck8436

That may be my only option at this point.

13. 3bolt79

3bolt79 Most Honored Senior Member

‘yeah, it doesn’t look like there is enough finish left to sand it off.

Chuck8436 likes this.
  14. Gevalt

Gevalt Strat-Talker

Tragically ironic if the felt was supposed to protect and didn’t.
    Wishful thinking, but is that carpenters glue residue? *squints*

americanstrat98 and Chuck8436 like this.
  15. Chuck8436

Very ironic. I never glued the washers on, but admittedly I sold the guitar in 2013 and bought it back a year later. It had two owners that I know of in that time and one of them was an idiot. I had to fix the Floyd Rose and rewire everything when I got it back. I dont know what he was trying to do with it but now that I think about it, maybe he had something to do with it. My fault for selling it, but I was going through a rough patch at the time.

mone and Gevalt like this.
  16. Ronkirn

try cleaning the yellowish goop off with naphtha or mineral spirits, ether one... let's see if that can be removed first... the another photo would be helpful..

that actually does not look like the felt did it.. if it did the fibers would be stuck to the lacquer... and I'm wondering what the yellow "stuff" is....

r

Lovnmesomestrat, EAllen and Chuck8436 like this.
  17. Chuck8436

The picture isnt that great, there are some fibers stuck on there. But that yellow stuff looks more like glue than felt. I think I have some mineral spirits, I'll try that and post another picture.

18. Ronkirn

if it's wood glue, the Mineral Spirits won't do the trick... its gonna take elbow grease.. the wood glue is basically an acrylic, which means when the stuff dries and it cured the chemistry changes so that it's no longer water soluble... or anything else soluble that you can use in close proximity to the white finish..

r

Chuck8436 likes this.
  19. Chuck8436

Ah, I was hoping I wouldn't have to take a razor blade to it. I'm about to take a look at it again. I'll post after I do.

20. thomquietwolf

thomquietwolf Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

I'm mystified by this post...
    Isn't felt organic?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.