Fende Stratocaster - Player Series | Sage Green Metallic

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Binaltech_Robot, Aug 29, 2021.

1. Jimbo99

Jimbo99 Strat-Talker

I prefer this color to other Fender offerings, so yeah, if in a few years, you come across the right buyer that has to have Sage Metallic Green, it would be worth a relative premium on the market as a rarer color that is harder to find. The pickier buyer that wants something uniquely striking. But if you're in a bind, you're going to find that it might be the same or even less attractive for pricing to a lot of buyers that it doesn't matter what color the paint is. I think for the discontinued colors, perhaps the demand wasn't there for it and it was a matter of cost effectiveness at Fender. With computers and inventory, they can track how long any given color sits in inventory. But that also has a lot of variables too that can make the Days in Inventory erroneous. How many sales promotions, what was the market really like, etc.. I'd definitely prefer this guitar to the basic black, red, blue that you can't swing a dead cat without hitting one at a music store, new or preowned.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2021
  2. Rbert0005

Rbert0005 Strat-Talker

Seems to me that if it didn’t sell that well there would still be some sitting around somewhere.
    It hasn’t been that long ago.

Bob

3. Caddy

Caddy Strat-O-Master

That is a great color. Wish I had one!

4. John C

John C Most Honored Senior Member Silver Member

Congrats! I liked that color - along with the sonic red color - that only seemed to last the first year of production for the Player series. I imagine that as several other have said those colors just didn't sell as well as other colors so they were discontinued.

5. FrieAsABird

FrieAsABird Senior Stratmaster

Yeah, that's a great color. I could imagine that going great with a bound rosewood neck as well, and sonic red as mentioned by @John C above, was also a nice color. Maybe they will bring them back at some point?

6. Vermoulian

Vermoulian Strat-Talker Platinum Supporting Member

Sometimes these limited-run colors come back around. They offered the basic instruments in Sage Green previously, in the early 2000s---I have a P-bass body from then.

Discontinued colors often do command a premium in the used guitar market, assuming you can find them at all. In general I would recommend buying used instead of new but when it comes to limited edition colors I think it can be worth getting it while they are in the stores because you won't save as much getting it used and it can be a fair amount of work to keep on top of the market for one when it comes up. The last few Fenders I bought new were all limited edition colors.

On a related topic, if you like Capri Orange, get one of the orange Player Series instruments now while most dealers have them, because that is not going to be around forever, and I predict that once it cycles out it won't be back for a while.

AGK13 likes this.
  7. Binaltech_Robot

Binaltech_Robot Strat-Talk Member

Thank you for the kind words about my Stratocaster. I appreciate the guitar even more.

The general consensus regarding "discontinuing Sage Green Metallic" on Player Series Stratocaster is because there was not any demand for the color and thus did not sell very well during that first year of production.

With that said, I did see on the Fender Custom Shop website this color offered on their Postmodern Stratocaster Journeyman Relic .... but that would be TOO rich for my blood hehehe

8. Boubou

Boubou Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

I remember when I bought my second whitewater kayak, a Perception Dancer, it was orange like the amps or a pumpkin. The guy said the color was discontinued. So I was happy , never saw one the same color, I had a few offers from guys working at rafting companies, they wanted it.
    So, the right buyer will pay extra for that color, but I don’t think you’ll get rich from it

9. Dik Ellis

Dik Ellis Strat-Talk Member

Fender rotates their color scheme

10. Handsome McClane

Handsome McClane Senior Stratmaster

Nice. I like that color a lot too. Congrats!

11. Dik Ellis

Dik Ellis Strat-Talk Member

Leo Fender based his colors on Cadillacs.

12. White Dog

White Dog Strat-O-Master

All of his colors? Because I don't remember a Candy Apple red Cadillac. I don't remember a Midnight Wine Cadillac. I don't remember a Sunburst Cadillac. I don't remember a Seafoam Green Cadillac. In fact---I don't remember a Graffiti Yellow Cadillac.
    Lake Placid Blue? I don't remember it.
    I've been into Fender guitars since 1982 and known 'cars' since 1967---I don't see the "follow" on color.
    Leo used to BUY paint from General Motors in the early years....but moved on.
    Rock on Austin, TX....home of the best player ever. RIP Stevie Ray!!!

Dik Ellis likes this.
  13. mazzolar59

mazzolar59 Strat-Talker Silver Member

Great looking guitar. As for Fender getting rid of sage green; I have it on good authority that the cancel culture found it offensive, so they discontinued making it. lol

14. Textele

Textele Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

That is indeed a beautiful guitar. Nice fretboard too!

I don't understand Fender's thinking on some great colors they just don't offer anymore.

Candy-Cola, Blizzard Pearl come to mind.

And did I mention Candy-Cola :mad:

eclecticsynergy likes this.
  15. eclecticsynergy

eclecticsynergy Senior Stratmaster

Very nice color. It's green, but not aggressively so.
    I have a sage green metallic body waiting in the wings to become a partscaster someday.

I like its slightly muted character. Still, I wonder whether they'd have sold better if Fender had chosen something more showy like Parker's lime gold. People tend to like vivid colors.

Especially bright shiny ones. I had one girlfriend who called it the magpie effect.

16. eclecticsynergy

eclecticsynergy Senior Stratmaster

I loved the look of Candy Cola Strats.
    A richer, less flamboyant alternative to CAR.

Never saw a Blizzard Pearl in person. But cars in that color can be stunning.

Textele likes this.