Join Strat-Talk Today

Fender '56 Strat Necks

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Retroe, Aug 15, 2019.

1. Retroe

Retroe Strat-Talker

I use to have an AVRI '56 Strat and really liked the fat soft V neck a lot but wasn't in love with the vintage frets so I sold it and I kind of regret it now. Today I was contemplating building my own '56 Strat and was thinking perhaps an MJT body and a Fender thick V neck with bigger frets.

Looking around on eBay I found several Fender '56 Strat necks with 9.5" radius and 6105 frets. However, they're all made by the Fender Custom Shop and we all know CS parts go for a premium. But I was shocked to see them going for $1300 - $1400. And believe it or not, looking at the completed listings, people actually pay those prices!

Don't get me wrong, they look amazing; Roasted maple, lacquer finish and relic'd. So maybe it's just me but that seems insane to pay that much for a neck, even if it is made by the Fender CS.

So I have a couple questions:

1.) Do you think you "get what you pay for" and a Fender CS shop neck is the way to go?

2.) If wanting to go another route, what after-market neck would you recommend that comes close to these '56 Custom Shop necks available on eBay?

2. SILENCER

SILENCER Strat-Talker

I had my AVRI refretted and I play it constantly. Bumps the entire guitar up a few notches. I love it now. Those small frets were not the best thing for me.

I ordered a soft V compound radius neck from Warmoth, but it takes an age to arrive. Big headstock, fat frets, single slab maple, pegholes for locking schallers. About 330.00 all in.

The V neck deluxes from a few years back are great too. Similar to the above mentioned custom job, but without the CBS headstock. It's like getting an elite with a groovy neck profile for several hundred less.

3. 79olympicwhite

79olympicwhite Strat-Talker

It’s all about the details , l could finish a neck same quality as Fender CS but it would take a while and time is money .... ld never pay that but lm sure there fantastic.... plenty of options with warmoth and such

4. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Strat-O-Master

The American Original 50s strat neck is literally the same neck with 9’5’’ and “vintage tall” frets. Seems to be just what you’re looking for.

reverb11, RL21980 and ZlurkCorzDog like this.
  5. ZlurkCorzDog

ZlurkCorzDog INMATE #7XX7XX7 Strat-Talk Supporter

R-Dizzle likes this.
  6. AxemanVR

AxemanVR I appreciate, therefore I am... Strat-Talk Supporter

My 2018 Fender Road Worn 50s Strat’s soft-v neck has “vintage tall” frets, and even though it also has a 7-1/4” radius I’ve never had a problem with it fretting out.

I really love the feel of it and I bet you can get one for a lot cheaper than a Custom Shop one... if you can find one (I think the RW owners all love theirs)...

7. RL21980

RL21980 Strat-Talker

Both 56 CS I beat on have a 1956 Soft V like you are talking about. Best electrics I have! My favorite neck shape also! Like someone stated above the 50's Original series has a soft V that is really close in shape if not dead on to the CS necks. Just no aging on them. Can always do a refret and sand the nitro a little to take the stickiness out though.

8. Retroe

Retroe Strat-Talker

Thanks, I appreciate the more reasonably priced suggestions. Anything else that comes close?

What about the neck on the Jimmie Vaughan signature Strat? It looks to be based off a 50s style Strat and states the neck as having a Soft "V" Shape, 21 Medium Jumbo Frets with a 9.5" Radius. Just not sure how thick it is.

Not looking for a baseball bat sized neck but I did like the thickness of the neck on the AVRI '56 I had.

9. archetype

archetype Senior Stratmaster

Fender sells the Classic Player 50s neck which is that "10/56" fat, soft V, 9 1/2" radius, and medium jumbo frets. They just bumped it up by $100 to $299, so find a reseller who has one already in stock.

10. Retroe

Retroe Strat-Talker

Thanks, according to the specs it states: 1st Fret - .850" (21.59 mm), 12th Fret - .890" (22.6 mm).

Not exactly thin but doesn't seem very fat, either.

would like to find something more in the 1st Fret: 0.88" - 12th Fret: 0.98" range

Last edited: Aug 15, 2019
  11. archetype

archetype Senior Stratmaster

Interesting. Mine feels deeper than that, likely because of the profile. You might find and play one, as that's a better way to judge than the numbers alone.

12. Guy Named Sue

Guy Named Sue Basking 'neath the almighty yellow yolk Strat-Talk Supporter

That's nuts, Fender CS necks are usually around 7-800 USD at 1300$ you're much closer at getting a used 56 CS Strat which go for around 1500-1600 USD.

AxemanVR likes this.
  13. R-Dizzle

R-Dizzle Strat-Talker

For that price I'd get either a warmorth/musikraft neck built exactly to your specs. Then send it to MJT for finishing, since you're already getting a body from them.

14. johnnymg

johnnymg Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

15. ZlurkCorzDog

ZlurkCorzDog INMATE #7XX7XX7 Strat-Talk Supporter

Ah yes, I knew there was another one. I've had both the Jimmie and the EC. They are both close in feel to the 56.

https://stratosphereparts.com/search.php?search_query=jimmie+vaugn+neck

$329

16. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

They are indeed skinny.

soft Vs.png

17. Retroe

Retroe Strat-Talker

That illustration above really shows the truth. I appreciate the other suggestions and will take a closer look at the American Original 50s version. The only other option seems to be buy a custom after-market neck from a place like Warmoth.

After examining photos online of '56 CS relic'd necks I just can't see spending that kind of money. They look super nice except I don't like the faux finger marks on the fretboard. I'm not sure but does that really even happen to older well-played necks? And if it does, wouldn't the black fret marker dots also be worn away? And also in the second photo, it looks like you could actually feel those fingermarks in the finish, which I doubt would affect your playing but might be somewhat bothersome (especially during bends).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. Stratoblaster

Stratoblaster Strat-O-Master

I would order a custom one from Warmoth, USACG, Musikraft and just get it in Roasted Maple. I think Musikraft and USACG have the most profile options.

mabley123 likes this.
  19. sgarnett

sgarnett Strat-O-Master

73AA3AFD-8093-4BAC-8D85-AE8723A4092F.jpeg This fretboard is much older than any Strat. It was planed down significantly during the restoration from total warped and splintered basket case to marginally playable family heirloom. The divots remaining were simply too deep to plane out. There are smaller vestigial divots all over the fretboard. When I was a kid, that fretboard made Malmsteen’s look like the Bonneville salt flats.

20. sgarnett

sgarnett Strat-O-Master

Oh, and the fret markets are inlay, so they are deeper than the paint. That’s why they aren’t worn away.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.