Fender Acoustasonic Guitar - anyone have one and can share thoughts?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by SoulSurfer, Jun 29, 2020 at 4:18 PM.

1. SoulSurfer

SoulSurfer Strat-Talk Member

Hey brethren and sisteren,

Has any bought one of these in the recent years? I have been considering getting the Tele shaped one and had the chance to play one the year it first came out as the Strat shape. I am curious about “real world” usage as in “gigs”. Will it behave like a solid body and get dirty if necessary? I used to own a Taylor T5z Custom Pro and found it to be so unpredictable with regards to feedback on stage, regardless of selecting the humbucker only.

I look forward to your responses. Thank you.

upload_2020-6-29_16-15-22.jpeg

2. Nick-O

Nick-O Senior Stratmaster

I saw Fender sent some out to KW Shepherd and someone else of note, and both of them were digging it, not being paid to say it. I can't think of who the other player was, but it surprised me. Hard to look at, but if it feels like an electric that would inspire some writing.

nickmsmith likes this.
  3. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Jaguar Convert Strat-Talk Supporter

The problem I've always had is that anything below 11s sound measly on acoustics, and 11s+ on a long scale electric are pretty thick and uncomfortable to me. So these in-between guitars tend to really fall short, IMO

And those Electric-inspired body shapes usually end up sounding pretty anemic, acoustically. But I'm sure they weren't aiming for excellent unplugged sound.

Usually they're uncomfortable for an electric, and subpar sound unplugged as an acoustic. But maybe their piezo system is really good.

I'm glad to see fender try something different, though.

SoulSurfer likes this.
  4. Fender Phil

Fender Phil Strat-Talker

At least you are in the Toronto area. One, or several of the large music stores must have one in stock to try every so often.

I’m in Windsor. The only way I will ever get to put one in my hands locally is to order one. If I don’t like it, that would be $300 out of my pocket, that I will never see again. The local L&M can’t get me one to try without that unnecessary expense. Only the largest dealers in Canada will get them in stock. I have been asking for over a year.

T Bone Slort likes this.
  5. Mike Manhost67

Mike Manhost67 Strat-Talk Member

I had one for 6 months, just returned because Truss Rod broke after 6 months (still under warranty, but decided to trade for Pro Strat)

It is a fun guitar to play, and it's so light it's like holding balsa wood, I even enjoyed playing it unplugged late at night for its soft sound. I had 11's on it, never tried with electric strings, but some people prefer.

It has to be charged with a USB chord, so your gig can't go longer than around 4-5 hours.

For dirty sounds, I liked the setting that combined the Acoustic pickup with the electric, and slightly overdrive it.

In the end I returned it, after 6 months the truss rod would turn no more. I could have sent it in for warranty repair, but didn't want to wait months to get back, and have recently turned back to electric, bought a Tone Master Deluxe, so wanted something better to go with it.

Here it was with my tele

Two Teles.jpg

6. nickmsmith

I'd love free guitars too!! It might make me see the bright side of any guitar!

7. SoulSurfer

I used to play 11 gauge strings. I was surprised to find out that Billy F Gibbons of ZZ Top plays Sixers! I recently went down from 11’s to tens and found little difference I was surprised to find out that Billy F Gibbons of ZZ Top plays Sixers! I recently went down from 11’s to 10’s and found minor differences. Apparently BFG got the idea to play lighter gauge from BB King himself. Go figure!

T Bone Slort and nickmsmith like this.
  8. nickmsmith

Yep!!!! It's all about finding the right feel for a guitar. I play somewhat uptuned, so it's always 9s on a strat for me, and 9s-10s on a jag. Any more might be a tad uncomfortable, but doable.

9. SoulSurfer

If the truss rod hadn’t broken, would you still own it and enjoy it? I am lucky in that I have a decent amount of guitars (6 electric and 4 acoustic) and they go through a “rotation” throughout the year. The “one that got away” for me was a first generation Godin Acousticaster Tele which I had bought in 1989 then sold. I guess I am looking the “upgraded” generation.

10. Stratoskater

Stratoskater Fuzz Meister General Strat-Talk Supporter

Billy has claimed he plays 8’s after that conversation with BB. His company does make sets down to 6’s. Of course there have been numerous cases of billy spinning tall tales, he’s famous for it according to other musicians, and there’s an interview that has been posted on here and many other sites where BB stated this conversation never happened. Of course string gauge is up to the players preference and should not be dictated by what some pro plays so folks who like6,7,8,9,10 or 15’s should pick what they like.

SoulSurfer likes this.
  11. Stratoskater

Oh and I’ve tried both of these models several times and while they are a fun novelty they sound like a toy acoustic to me (I’ll take my Martin and Taylor all day overs these) and sound only so so as an electric. I played the PRS Hollowbody II piezo Saturday along with acoustasonic strat and the PRS piezo was far better at acoustic tone than the fender and is $500 cheaper.

12. SoulSurfer

Hmm, thank you for thought.

Stratoskater likes this.
  13. nickmsmith

That's been my experience with that type of guitar.

I'd rather have a 1,000 dollar acoustic and a 1,000 dollar electric for sure, and get great performance from every angle. I don't have either of those things right now, TBH.

But like I said earlier, It's cool they're trying something new. Wish it didn't cost so much, I'd expect some stellar performance out of a $2k guitar of any sort.

this surf green is certainly cool looking. Reviews seem universally good on this model in each color on sweetwater at least.
    https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...coustasonic-telecaster-translucent-surf-green

Seems like people who buy it seem to know what they're looking for, and are enjoying it. That's good.

I wonder, do you play it straight into the mixer? Into a guitar amp?

Last edited: Jun 29, 2020 at 5:32 PM
    Stratoskater likes this.
  14. Mike Manhost67

Mike Manhost67 Strat-Talk Member

I heavily enjoyed the guitar, and had the truss rod not broken, would probably still have it.

It's incredibly comfortable to play and hold, and I always loved playing it, even when is was not plugged in. It probably falls under the maxim, "jack of all trades, master of none".

In my opinion, the guitar is probably overpriced at 2k, would be a better value in the $1200 range.

I bought it on impulse back in December (they were hard to find) and was fully thinking I would probably return it for full refund within the 30 day window after I played with it for a while, but fell in love with it and kept it. It was hard keeping the neck right, but had no idea it was a truss rod issue till the end

nickmsmith likes this.
  15. Baelzebub

Baelzebub Senior Stratmaster

I would dig it too if someone gave me one, but IMO it's way overpriced for what it is.

Blue Beagle and nickmsmith like this.
  16. Stratoskater

I ran it into a Fishman Loudbox Artist but with a DI you can go straight into the mixer like other acoustics.

nickmsmith likes this.
  17. SoulSurfer

There also appears to be difference voicings between newer Strat versus the Tele model. Also they claim 20hrs of playing time between charges. I can see the attraction of this "Swiss army knife".

18. Scooter

Scooter Strat-Talk Member

i owned one for a while. In the end I decided to go back to a "real" acoustic, but in my opinion the Acoustasonic's plugged in tone was superior to the Taylor's ES2 system, which i don’t care for at all (yes, I have owned one). Taylor makes a GREAT guitar. They should leave pickup systems to the experts.

nickmsmith likes this.
  19. nickmsmith

I’ve given up on really trying to find a good replication of a real mic’d acoustic. I’ve gigged martins, Taylor’s, Yamahas, and none of them really sound close to the real thing. So I usually just gig the Yamaha, sounds about the same plugged in.. at about half the cost. People rave about the K&K pickups, but I wasn’t all that impressed with those either.

nothing beats the real “mic in front of guitar” sound. But it sucks dealing with possible feedback, and being stationary the whole gig.

guess nobody in the crowd knows or cares about the difference anyway.

Stratoskater likes this.
  20. Wound_Up

Wound_Up Strat-O-Master

Psshhtt. A guitar you don't jive with is a guitar you don't jive with. Free or not. <shrug>

Aren't those 2 totally different styles of guitars, though? Built and designed completely differently and everything. The PRS seems like a 335-style build except fully hollow with a single chunk of wood to hold the bridge.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2020 at 3:08 PM