Fender American Classic (Original Replacement)

YohanTheMan

Strat-O-Master
Sep 3, 2020
Denmark
I’m sure they will. They haven’t even been released yet and people are crying about limited colours. I’m sure they will have all the colours in the rainbow once dealers start getting stock and selecting FSR stuff.
Well like someone else said here, a 60s Strat in Sherwood Green would be ideal, but it's the 57 that comes in Sherwood Green. I still might want that, since I don't have a 50s style Strat, although I think it looks better with a rosewood fingerboard. But overall I think the colours look good, and yes you are absolutely right, there will be special runs. Just like the AO series, where i wish I had jumped on a well priced second hand Mary Kaye. There will be more colours eventually.

JDRNoPro

Strat-Talk Member
Jul 28, 2010
Maine
Those color charts are very interesting. I have a 2001 AVRI57 Strat in Inca Silver. I think that was the only year Inca was offered in the AVRI57. Always wondered if Inca was actually available in 1957. Apparently so, by custom order.

I noted that Candy Apple Red (supposedly Leo's favorite color) is not shown in either of those charts. Perhaps it appeared in 1962, as I seem to recall seeing some actual 1962 Fenders in CAR..

Pandamasque

Senior Stratmaster
Sep 22, 2020
Kyiv, Ukraine
I noted that Candy Apple Red (supposedly Leo's favorite color) is not shown in either of those charts. Perhaps it appeared in 1962, as I seem to recall seeing some actual 1962 Fenders in CAR..
1963. And it doesn't come from any standard car paint like the rest. Apparently it was inspired by custom car refinishes like this one.
1653141452365.png

1653141295835.png

JDRNoPro

Strat-Talk Member
Jul 28, 2010
Maine
Thanks for that info :)..........interesting that Fender had offered AVRI 57 and 62 models in CAR when the color apparently didn't exist in those years - at least as a "standard" automotive paint product used by the car manufacturers.

Last edited:

Pandamasque

Senior Stratmaster
Sep 22, 2020
Kyiv, Ukraine
Thanks for that info :)..........interesting that Fender had offered AVRI 57 and 62 models in CAR when the color apparently didn't exist in those years - at least as a "standard" automotive paint product used by the car manufacturers.
There were many "anachronisms" like that in the reissue and Custom Shop line-ups. Like the Ocean Turquoise '57 or the Firemist Gold '62 CS that Mick of That Pedal Show has. Aztec Gold doesn't appear in any charts at all, nor have I seen an actual vintage guitar in that colour and yet it keeps re-emerging on '50s reissues. Maybe Fender is going for Eldon Shamblin's '54 look but that one had a white back.

John C

Most Honored Senior Member
Silver Member
Jul 17, 2012
Kansas City

When the AVRIs first started in 1982 Fender was more concerned with capturing a "vintage vibe" with them than accuracy to the specs of the years they chose.

In the book "The Stratocaster Chronicles" Dan Smith and other Fender employees of the time discuss the AVRIs (or U.S. Vintage as they were called then); they chose 1957 simply because "things from 1957 are cool, like '57 Chevys." 1962 was chosen because it was the year that Fender transitioned from the rosewood slab fingerboard to the round laminate fingerboard - so if they had the same issues Leo had with the slab fingerboards de-laminating they could use the round lam construction instead. Colors were evidently chosen simply because they were cool colors Fender had offered at some point.

JDRNoPro

Strat-Talk Member
Jul 28, 2010
Maine
Good information guys - thanks! Although I've got 8 Strats, have been on a bit of an offset kick for a couple of years but now focusing back on Strats. I have that "Stratocaster Chronicles" book. Excellent book with lots of great info - I need to revisit it and reacquaint myself with Strat history!

Pandamasque

Senior Stratmaster
Sep 22, 2020
Kyiv, Ukraine
When the AVRIs first started in 1982 Fender was more concerned with capturing a "vintage vibe" with them than accuracy to the specs of the years they chose.

In the book "The Stratocaster Chronicles" Dan Smith and other Fender employees of the time discuss the AVRIs (or U.S. Vintage as they were called then); they chose 1957 simply because "things from 1957 are cool, like '57 Chevys." 1962 was chosen because it was the year that Fender transitioned from the rosewood slab fingerboard to the round laminate fingerboard - so if they had the same issues Leo had with the slab fingerboards de-laminating they could use the round lam construction instead. Colors were evidently chosen simply because they were cool colors Fender had offered at some point.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't Fullerton '62 reissues actually slab? I think @Intune has one. In fact, I've never seen any '62 reissue from any year that wasn't round lam.

Intune

Senior Stratmaster
Jan 14, 2021
Edmonton, Alberta
Correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't Fullerton '62 reissues actually slab? I think @Intune has one. In fact, I've never seen any '62 reissue from any year that wasn't round lam.

I don’t have a 62 Fullerton strat but I did have a 57 Fullerton body. However the round laminate fretboard didn’t appear until 63 or so because of issues with slab board lifting.

The Fullerton 62 and actually all 62 reissues have a slab board. On the AO 60’s strat they have the round laminate because they are based loosely off a mid 60’s strat. I don’t know of any reissue prior to the AV 65 and AO 60’s Strats having a laminate fretboard.

John C

Most Honored Senior Member
Silver Member
Jul 17, 2012
Kansas City
I don’t have a 62 Fullerton strat but I did have a 57 Fullerton body. However the round laminate fretboard didn’t appear until 63 or so because of issues with slab board lifting.

The Fullerton 62 and actually all 62 reissues have a slab board. On the AO 60’s strat they have the round laminate because they are based loosely off a mid 60’s strat. I don’t know of any reissue prior to the AV 65 and AO 60’s Strats having a laminate fretboard.

You're correct; all of the USA production line '62 reissues had slab boards - I don't have photos of the two I owned but they were slab, quite different than my '79 Lead II which had the really thin late CBS-era round lam board. The AV '65 was the first USA production line model to have the round lam fingerboard, which carried through to the AO 60s model. The AV '59 with rosewood had slab boards as well.

The Custom Shop Time Machine models for years in the 1960s after 1962 had the round laminate fingerboards to be historically accurate.

ETucc

Strat-Talk Member
Apr 10, 2022
NJ
I mean I’m in Canada but I can still get a CS Strat for $5k brand new (or about 4K USD). I’ve seen people asking for $4k+ for an AVRI.
That's insane... You can get used CS guitars on Reverb for ~$2,500 USD.