Fender American Original 50's vs 60's

Discussion in 'Telecaster/Esquire Forum' started by Shades of Blue, Mar 18, 2020.

1. znanjeiimanje

znanjeiimanje Strat-Talk Member

I have both.

'62 Thin Skin with RW
    AO50s with Maple

like both, though the '62 has a more comfortable neck than the AO 50's (though I tried AO 60's Tele and the neck was much chunkier than the 50's, even chunkier than AO 60s Strat). AO sounds a bit crunchier. '62 is slightly more mellow (which can be due to a number of factors). As said, love both and both have an application. Nevertheless, I dare to say AO 50's is more of an all-arounder.

2. RL21980

RL21980 Strat-O-Master

LOVE my 50's AO! Its one of my favorite ponies in the stable. Better like fat necks though. They're the real deal.

Violeiro likes this.
  3. 57Strat777

57Strat777 Strat-O-Master

I just got my Original 50's Telecaster from Chicago Music Exchange. This was a special version made for CME. It has "thin skin" and a roasted neck. I love the tone of the guitar but I am pretty bummed out about the fret size. The Fender and CME specs both say "tall vintage" for the fret specs, but with my micrometer the frets measure .040 tall and .084 wide, which is what standard vintage frets measure. Looks like I'm gonna have to spend $300 to get some bigger frets. Those vintage frets are nearly unplayable for my playing style.

The neck is PERFECT measuring .89 at the 1st fret and .99 at the 12th fret. It's very close to my Gibson R8 neck. My Gibson R8 is .90 and 1.00 but with slightly larger shoulders.

Prior to buying the guitar I researched what "tall vintage" frets are, and most forum posts said these are 6105 size and should be .055 tall. Clearly that is not correct.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 20, 2020
    Violeiro and Stratafied like this.
  4. Stratafied

Stratafied Most Honored Senior Member

I agree.