Fender American Original '60s Finish

evansj87

Strat-Talk Member
Feb 12, 2019
Augusta Township, MI
Hi All,

Just wanted to see if anyone has ever seen anything like this or if you own a Stratocaster that has this. I have owned a few and never seen this before. If you look at the attached photo, you'll notice that the top of the guitar is very wavy. If you run your finger across it you can actually feel your finger go up and down ever so slightly over the top of the guitar. Is this normal? I don't think it is, but I'm curious to get some opinions on this. There is also a spot above the neck plate where there's a couple indentations or sunken in areas. My assumption is that they didn't get enough filler in those spots or something.

It's a great playing and sounding guitar for sure, just seems like the finish is a little off. I am curious to get some input on this though.

Thanks!

Attachments

• PXL_20220812_175330270.PORTRAIT~2.jpg
    PXL_20220812_175330270.PORTRAIT~2.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 275
  • PXL_20220802_181514601.PORTRAIT.jpg
    PXL_20220802_181514601.PORTRAIT.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 275

Geoff06

Strat-O-Master
Nov 15, 2021
Wisconsin
My first thought is that the finish is separating from the body. I've seen it before around the neck joint but not on the front of the body.

Edit:
Can you see movement if you push down on the ripples near the pickguard?

evansj87

Strat-Talk Member
Feb 12, 2019
Augusta Township, MI
My first thought is that the finish is separating from the body. I've seen it before around the neck joint but not on the front of the body.

Edit:
Can you see movement if you push down on the ripples near the pickguard?
There's no movement in the finish at all. You can push anywhere on the guitar and everything is tight. It's almost as if the body was sanded poorly and then they finished it this way.

crankmeister

Most Honored Senior Member
Jul 9, 2020
Republic of Gilead
There's no movement in the finish at all. You can push anywhere on the guitar and everything is tight. It's almost as if the body was sanded poorly and then they finished it this way.
For the price of an AO, my unofficial rule would be that if anything about looks/feels as if I did the job, then return it.

(I do not have the steadiest hand)

Intune

Most Honored Senior Member
Jan 14, 2021
Edmonton, Alberta
Also these are first sealed in polyurethane so you won’t be seeing any grain sinking for a long time if ever. Yes you’ll see the body seam lines and any ripples you see or feel will be the alder grain. In raw form it can have a wavy surface feel.

I don’t see anything wrong in these pics though?

ETucc

Strat-Talker
Apr 10, 2022
NJ
Also these are first sealed in polyurethane so you won’t be seeing any grain sinking for a long time if ever. Yes you’ll see the body seam lines and any ripples you see or feel will be the alder grain. In raw form it can have a wavy surface feel.

I don’t see anything wrong in these pics though?
I thought I was crazy… what the hell is everyone seeing?!

Ongo Gablogian

Strat-Talker
Feb 18, 2019
Chicago, IL
Hi All,

Just wanted to see if anyone has ever seen anything like this or if you own a Stratocaster that has this. I have owned a few and never seen this before. If you look at the attached photo, you'll notice that the top of the guitar is very wavy. If you run your finger across it you can actually feel your finger go up and down ever so slightly over the top of the guitar. Is this normal? I don't think it is, but I'm curious to get some opinions on this. There is also a spot above the neck plate where there's a couple indentations or sunken in areas. My assumption is that they didn't get enough filler in those spots or something.

It's a great playing and sounding guitar for sure, just seems like the finish is a little off. I am curious to get some input on this though.

Thanks!
Id be more concerned about the fact that Fender never sold a black AO...

northernlights

Strat-Talk Member
Jan 1, 2018
Istanbul
I had. I had five ao series guitar and all of them have paint issues. I had av series before and they were just fragile, nothing wrong with them. I sold all of ao series.