Fender announces limited run of Rosewood-necked American Professional Strats

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Wound_Up, Sep 3, 2020.

1. Stevn

Stevn Senior Stratmaster

I have a fender 265c that is all rosewood except the top is Sitka spruce. Even rosewood headstock.
    It sounds pretty bright and clear.

RL21980 likes this.
  2. Stevn

Stevn Senior Stratmaster

3. circles

circles Resident Pinball Enthusiast

Another 'nope' here.

mjea80 likes this.
  4. scooteraz

scooteraz Senior Stratmaster

I rather like it. Think it would cost me almost as much to assemble from Warmoth parts as they are asking for it, so not a terrible price. OTOH, not in the market, so I’ll be passing on it.

5. SkylineUK

SkylineUK Strat-Talker

It just doesn't look right. Are they using up parts or something?

6. Anacharsis

Anacharsis Guitar Player

Check my avatar, and you’ll see that I like the idea. The rose gold HSS and champagne SSS are GC-only runs. The mystic ice blue HH one is from the Mod Shop - where yes, a rosewood neck is an option. I also have a Thorn and a St. Vincent each with rosewood necks.

For the person who commented about rosewood being banned - that is false. It’s complex, but as a summary: finished musical instruments were exempted from what amounts to a greater need for documentation of sourcing for Indian (among others) rosewood. Brazilian rosewood has been strictly prohibited from export from Brazil since the 1970s. Fender still has to follow the stricter doc rules for Indian rosewood, and removed it from lower priced models, but it is still offered standard as fretboards on American Professionals, among others.

StummerJoe, Andrew Wasson and 3bolt79 like this.
  7. =KARMA=

=KARMA= Senior Stratmaster

......or coffee and cream?

3bolt79 likes this.
  8. 3bolt79

3bolt79 Dr. Stratster

I’d get one if they put medium jumbo or jumbo frets on it. I just don’t like the tall skinny frets on the Am Pro. That and I don’t like v-mod pickups. At least they aren’t putting those in this run.

KillingTone likes this.
  9. Baelzebub

Baelzebub Dr. Stratster

I'm friggin' droolin'! I was browsing his site yesterday and saw it and the tab has been up on my computer ever since...I even left it on top so it was the first think I saw this morning. .I got another custom that's 40 years old, but the builder, who is now famous, was just starting out and some of the quality is not top notch.

Just because he won't even build a guitar now for under 5k with a 3 -4 year wait it's increased way over what I paid an dis so booked making his custom basses that it wouldn't be practical for him to revisit it and tweak it, someone who does the quality of work Ron does would be the only one I'd have work on it., but I don't know if @Ronkirn does rehabilitation work, or better yet would take a trade...

I should ask...maybe we could work something out... Better come with a nice case cause I'll be living in one if I bring any more guitars home....lol. I got my Covid 19th today...a Baja Tele that's undergoing decontamination as we speak.

10. Baelzebub

Baelzebub Dr. Stratster

I dunno..the tall skinnies work for me because of the smaller radius. I found the V-mods to be a too ice-picky at first, but found that leaving the volume at 7 and twiddling the tone knobs depending on switch position tamed that enough to make them likeable.

I didn't see what they were putting in this limited run? Mostly cause I didn't like the looks of either one offered....

3bolt79 likes this.
  11. Anacharsis

Anacharsis Guitar Player

Yeah, I do see that a good bit. I like both the frets and the pickups (obviously). But if you don't, you don’t, ya know?

I like the Pure Vintage line of pickups, and have some 59s in a MIM Strat I've had for a long time, plus 64s in a Tele and 65s in a Jag and Jazzmaster (the last three all Squiers). They sound good, so I imagine the 65 Strat ones do as well.

I'm full up on Strats, but I do think the Desert Sand one looks nice.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2020
    3bolt79 likes this.
  12. jrbirdman

jrbirdman Senior Stratmaster Platinum Supporting Member Silver Member

I'm out

13. Mike Manhost67

Mike Manhost67 Strat-Talker

The limited body color options make me go "meh". But love the neck

Bob the builder and JJ119 like this.
  14. JJ119

JJ119 Senior Stratmaster

Absolutely Gorgeous Neck

15. Stevn

Stevn Senior Stratmaster

mmm mmm good!

16. Andrew Wasson

Andrew Wasson Senior Stratmaster

StummerJoe likes this.
  17. stratnutz

stratnutz Senior Stratmaster

The neck by itself is $700 , rosewood is rare now, I thought its was banned.

JJ119 likes this.
  18. JJ119

JJ119 Senior Stratmaster

I heard that awhile back too.
    I watched something not long ago that even in parts of Asia and
    South America, their Governments have outlawed harvesting it. Not sure if It was India. But it has been outlawed for harvest.

19. Bob the builder

Bob the builder Most Honored Senior Member

If they offer it in black I might sell a kidney
    Not mine of course...but there's ways

JJ119 likes this.
  20. Anacharsis

Anacharsis Guitar Player

Wild rosewood has been banned for harvest in India. Managed forestry (essentially tree farming) is not banned.

Overall - rosewood is not banned. It is listed on Appendix II of CITES, the international treaty on the trade of endangered species. Placement on Appendix II is not a ban, but a requirement for more rigorous paperwork establishing the legality (meaning authorized harvesting, usually from managed forests) of the wood.

As regards South America - Brazilian rosewood cannot be sold across national boundaries, per its appearance in CITE Appendix I, where it has been for quite a while. Indian rosewood can, with proper documentation. As of last fall, a rule exempting finished musical instruments from the documentation requirement was implemented, allowing musicians to fly across borders with their instruments containing rosewood. But the manufacture of guitars with Indian rosewood has slowed down, especially at lower prices, given the higher expense and effort involved in the CITES paperwork requirements, and perhaps in anticipation of a future in which more strict measures may be put in place.

All the information is here, albeit using a not-fancy interface (they're a nonprofit international organization operating on a thin budget to communicate about the CITES treaty - enforcement is done by signatory governments): https://cites.org/

Last edited: Sep 4, 2020