Fender announces limited run of Rosewood-necked American Professional Strats

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Wound_Up, Sep 3, 2020.

1. Robert Graf

Robert Graf Strat-Talker

Depends on the rosewood. Straight grain Cocobolo, Kingwood, Mpingo annd Honduras Rosewood all work very well, if you know how to select stock. Too much Indian and Brazilian are poorly rough sawn, and you'll get chipping. Same from dull tools and improper sharpness angles. If you know where to look you can get reasonable prices, but nothing like the 7.50/ bd ft I found some 8/4 Cocoblolo on sale for, back in the early 90s. You have to search, be ready to pull the trigger immediately, and bu a good 40 bd ft sight unseen, so you'll have know the source.
    If you want a good neck wood, stiffness counts, and Macacauba rules there, if you can find a good source.

2. joelc73

joelc73 Strat-Talk Member

I had a musicman big al with a rosewood neck. It looked and felt cool but it developed a massive S curve.

3. Anacharsis

Anacharsis Guitar Player

Just because we love pics, my avatar picture, full size:

Strats.jpg

4. Andrew Wasson

Andrew Wasson Senior Stratmaster

Now that looks fantastic! That’s the special run, I’d be all over. Nice score!

Bladesg likes this.
  5. stillaliveandwe

stillaliveandwe Strat-Talk Member

I have both the rosewood neck Desert Sand Stratocaster and the rosewood neck surf green Telecaster. They are both outstanding guitars in both looks, playability, and sound. I also bought a Stratocaster Ultra. In my opinion Fender USA is building the best guitars they have ever built right now. I also have two Custom Shop Fenders and the previously mentioned guitars are every bit their equal.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2020
    Bladesg likes this.
  6. gutshank

gutshank Strat-Talker

Man, that is hawt!

Anacharsis likes this.
  7. Andy Summers

Andy Summers Strat-Talker

Haven't the been doing this? I've seen a couple of these at Guitar Center over the years. Even owned one. Though it was nothing special, to be honest.

8. John C

John C Most Honored Senior Member Silver Member

Yes; this is just kind of the "last go-around" for the American Professional v1s before the American Professional v2s come out next month.

The only difference is these most recent ones have the Pure Vintage '65 pickups instead of the V-mods and they were made available to all dealers instead of being a special run for a specific dealer.

Andy Summers likes this.
  9. Andrew Wasson

Andrew Wasson Senior Stratmaster

I agree. I haven’t been out Guitar shopping this year for obvious reasons but last year I was spending a fair bit of time at the guitar shop and I couldn’t find a Fender guitar that I didn’t get along with. It seems like every guitar on display was pretty much perfect. Sweetwater had a FSR Am Pro Strat in faded sonic blue with custom shop 69 pickups and a rosewood neck. I very nearly bought one of those. It would probably tick all the boxes for me.

Bladesg likes this.
  10. Strat1958

Strat1958 New Member!

The All Rosewood neck Does darken the tone...In a good way I feel...I have one of the Thin lines with the Violin looking top...and mahogany body...they made last year...could be the mahogany along with the rosewood that darkens the tone...It also has custom shop '69 pickups in the neck and middle with a split-able humbucker at the bridge.

RL21980 likes this.
  11. Stratoskater

Stratoskater Fuzz Meister General

Not on the three of them I’ve played. They were all ridiculously bright guitars, this is why I hung them back up and didn’t buy them. The brightest sounding guitar I’ve ever owned was a rosewood board Am Std, the darkest was a maple neck Custom Shop. It’s the weight and pickups, not the fretboard that influences tone. This stuff about rosewood being darker and maple brighter is just more forum BS that gets spread around. Not to mention I don’t fret the strings anywhere near hard enough for it to touch the board, only the fret so the board is not contacting the vibrating string and cannot influence the tone.

Wound_Up likes this.
  12. joesatch

joesatch Strat-Talker

i have owned and played a handful of solid rosewood necked guitars they look good on paper and appearance but never sounded as good as maple or mahog neck woods

13. TrackerDan

TrackerDan Strat-Talk Member

14. Bladesg

Bladesg Funk Meister Silver Member

I have one of these necks on a partscaster and IME it's definitely not darker in tone. Acoustically (unplugged) it is brighter than my maple neck RW fingerboard Strats and amplified I beleive it provides more clarity in the low/mid low end. I cannot prove the latter without bolting the neck onto another strat to verify and if I'm honest I don't care to. I think it's a superb neck and the finished guitar is great too.

Stratoskater likes this.
  15. Antonio77

Antonio77 Strat-Talker

Yes. There's a lot of confusion about Ctes and rosewood.

https://www.fuzzfaced.net/cites-rosewood.html

Andrew Wasson likes this.
  16. Antonio77

Antonio77 Strat-Talker

Yes, you are right. Since 2017 Fender made many versions of the American Professional Stratocaster with rosewood neck, but some colors are not available every year.
    https://www.fuzzfaced.net/american-professional-stratocaster-rosewood-neck.html
    https://www.fuzzfaced.net/limited-american-professional-ash-rosewwod-neck.html

17. Tomee

Tomee Strat-Talk Member

First it's no rosewood, its endangered, now it's let make the whole darn neck out of it?
    What happened?

18. Billy Rosewood

Billy Rosewood Strat-Talk Member

I'm brand new to the Forum so hello everybody! I just bought my first Strat and it's the Desert Sand with the solid rosewood neck. I fell in love with it when I saw it and will post pictures when I receive it. Super excited to own it and can't wait to learn valuable information from all of you,

19. Anacharsis

Anacharsis Guitar Player

Like most things, it's complicated.

Anyone who told you "no rosewood" was inaccurate. That was never true. What happened was that rosewoods, increasingly threatened as they are, were added to a particular Appendix of the CITES treaty. With that listing comes sourcing documentation requirements. It was never banned, and in fact, late last year a CITES modification went into place exempting completed musical instruments and instrument parts from this scrutiny. That keeps instruments from being confiscated from unwitting traveling musicians who don't carry CITES paperwork with them at all times.

(Brazilian rosewood is a different story, as it is listed on the most restrictive appendix of CITES, and is in effect banned for international trade unless you have the most rigorous of paperwork showing that it was harvested decades ago. I wouldn't even risk it).

Manufacturers, acknowledging both that some of their Indian Rosewood had been coming from questionable sources and that the CITES documentation requirements cost money (and therefore, the effective price was going up), stopped using rosewood on lower priced instruments. There are no "CITES officers." The treaty is handled by a local agency in each country - in the U.S., it's Fish and Wildlife. So it's easiest for U.S.-based manufacturers to import from the wood source country directly to the U.S., where local staff can work smoothly, even face to face if needed, with Fish and Wildlife.

In any case, it's not a trivial issue that can be absorbed into the manufacturing cost of a $300 Squier, or the sourcing logistics of a factory located across the Pacific (unless the home office is also there). However, for something like a Fender American Professional, it's still a viable choice.

To summarize, Indian Rosewood remains available, but the CITES goal is to make sure it is coming from sustainable managed forestry in the source countries. There's a good chance that illegal activity is happening anyway, but the treaty is a sincere (and in some cases, quite effective) effort.

Now swamp ash - that really is going away, but that's due to an invasive species called the emerald ash borer.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2020
    Andrew Wasson and Tomee like this.
  20. Tomee

Tomee Strat-Talk Member

Thanks for the rosewood story. I knew it was "banned" but didnt know it recently got exempted for instruments.

We have 6 dead ash on our property from that green bug. Not swamp ash mind you, it seems as hard and dense as maple. It burns nicely. I have one log put aside to try to get some body blanks from, but I'm not sure it'll be any good. Maybe that's the ash Strats were made from in the 70s?

Back to rosewood necks!