Fender announces limited run of Rosewood-necked American Professional Strats

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Wound_Up, Sep 3, 2020.

1. Anacharsis

Anacharsis Guitar Player

Heh.

Also - I am not an authority, and if I were traveling with a guitar made with rosewood, I might document it anyway, just to be sure, especially if I were going to a country I didn't know reasonably well. Local authorities can mess up.

Or just bring maple. :)

2. Tsjackson

Tsjackson Senior Stratmaster

If it makes any difference at all I find it to be the exact opposite, I was honestly speechless at how much brighter my guitar sounded when I tried an all rosewood neck on it. I think it’s a very dense, hard, rigid timber. I was expecting what you said

RL21980 likes this.
  3. Andrew Wasson

Andrew Wasson Senior Stratmaster

Welcome aboard @Billy Rosewood. We’ll look forward to hearing about your new guitar when it arrives. Also pictures... we love gear pics.

4. Sybo

Sybo Strat-Talker

I bought a Tele ( Olive Green) , a FSR . Gorgeous guitar, two separate techs here in Nashville could not get it like I wanted it as the neck had a twist from the factory ( I presume). What a bummer. It sounded like a Tele from Heaven, just not a good piece of wood. By the way guys, I DO believe that Rosewood is BRIGHTER than Maple.
    It had to go back to Fender. I am so disappointed in Fenders quality control. The nut on the the guitar was outta Spec also. Damn.......

5. Wound_Up

Wound_Up CUSTOM USER TITLE Silver Member

I agree. The fretboard makes up maybe 5% of the wood in a guitar. No way it makes the difference everyone thinks it does. Especially when it's the thin, 1/8" veneer rosewood. You want to hear a difference so you think you do.

Just like people with sugar pills and the placebo effect. They want it to make a difference so they're convinced it did when it did nothing but increase their blood sugar level lol.

Stratoskater likes this.
  6. Wound_Up

Swamp ash isn't a type of ash. They just call lightweight ash swamp ash, basically. They call it that based on where it grows, mainly in the Southern US in very wet areas. Swamp ash is just a nickname for ash grown in these places.

The following are the only species of ash trees available. None of which are named 'swamp ash'. I suspect it's probably white ash. But that's just a guess.

Green ash (Fraxinus pennsylvanica)
    White ash (Fraxinus americana)
    Black ash (Fraxinus nigra)
    California ash (Fraxinus dipetala)
    Blue ash (Fraxinus quadrangulata)

Read more at Gardening Know How: Ash Tree Identification: Which Ash Tree Do I Have https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/ornamental/trees/ash/ash-tree-varieties.htm

Tomee likes this.
  7. grritz

grritz Still 17 between the ears Silver Member

Uhhhh...no.

8. Wound_Up

Uhhh no what?

9. Tomee

Tomee Strat-Talk Member

Interesting... the one ash tree that was growing in a swampy area had the largest trunk. I'm going to cut slabs off it for sure then.

It just occured to me that the supply of dead ash is probably huge, but none of it can be transported or even sold, legally, to prevent the spread of the beetle.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2020
  10. semka

semka Strat-Talk Member

I'm considering buying an all-rosewood neck strat, but I've noticed quite a few complaints here and on other boards and reviews about them developing s-curve, twisting, etc. Is it something inherent to rosewood necks or these are just bad samples? Are rosewood necks prone to changes like that over time?

11. joesatch

joesatch Strat-Talker

a solid rosewood neck looks good on paper and looks killer but imo not as good as a maple neck wood. I've had a high end PRS and a Strat with solid rosewood necks they just didnt have that pop and were somewhat dead sounding to me.

12. semka

semka Strat-Talk Member

I played it before and I liked the sound, so that aspect doesn't concern me, but the long term viability does.

joesatch likes this.
  13. joesatch

joesatch Strat-Talker

i can't speak to the stability of a solid rosewood neck long term that would concern me