Fender AVRI 57’ Mary Kaye Stratocaster - Is it really worth it?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by valvestate, Dec 31, 2019.

1. valvestate

valvestate Strat-Talker

I'm trying to work out a deal with a local guy here for this nice vintage blonde Mary Kaye Strat! He wants my Fender Blacktop Sonic Blue HH & Greco Les Paul MIJ Black Beauty and I also give 1.1K USD

I think I'm losing a lot here so I'm just planning to purchase it but I'm not sure how much are these selling in the used market. His guitar comes with all the candies and all and it looks pretty mint! He originally posted his ad for $2.2K USD

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

CFFF, Jerseystratfiend, _MS_ and 2 others like this.
  2. Crowcaster

Crowcaster Strat-Talk Member

That's a very nice guitar, but not for what you two are negotiating. And IMO, no way would is he gonna get $2,200 for an AVRI.

3. hcski25

hcski25 Strat-Talker

For a 1987 AVRI '57, he's not that far off. Probably could realistically get between $1,700 and $2,200 depending on the local market. It doesn't seem like you guys are too far off from one another, but I have no idea how much the Greco is really worth. The Blacktop strat probably has a trade value of $350-400.

mikej89, 3bolt79 and valvestate like this.
  4. valvestate

valvestate Strat-Talker

Thanks! GAS is strong in this one! I think I can haggle a bit but losing 2 guitars for this one?? I admit though that my Blacktop's not really working out for me ..

3bolt79 likes this.
  5. Antstrat

Antstrat Senior Stratmaster

6. hcski25

hcski25 Strat-Talker

It's a sweet guitar...that MK finish with gold hardware is an awesome combo.

He's basically giving you $400 in value for the blacktop and $700 for the Greco (which seems reasonable from a quick Reverb search). BUT the $1,100 cash is based on his asking price of $2,200. See if you can get the cash portion down a bit.

Have you played it yet? If you love the way it plays (more than the Greco or Blacktop), don't be worried about the "giving up 2 to get 1" mental aspect.

Olly White, 3bolt79, Neil.C and 2 others like this.
  7. Crowcaster

Crowcaster Strat-Talk Member

Local market is the key. There's someone out there that's gotta have exactly that, but he's gonna have to go through Reverb fees, shipping, and accept a 10-20% off offer to find them.

valvestate, Antstrat and hcski25 like this.
  8. Antstrat

Antstrat Senior Stratmaster

Something to consider and this is just my opinion.

If it's local and you can hold it, get a feel for it, plug it in and it really rings your bell then it would be worth the trade vs trying to save maybe a few hundred dollars and have to get one sight unseen. I would still try and get him down some in price but look at the the long term enjoyment of having a strat that makes you go WOW vs the money. We aren't talking a huge sum in the big picture.

9. Oldduck

Oldduck Strat-Talk Member

aiabx likes this.
  10. Duane_the_tub

Duane_the_tub Strat-Talker

11. valvestate

valvestate Strat-Talker

12. valvestate

valvestate Strat-Talker

yes, you are right... he did calculated his asking with the market value of my axe.

To be fair, he asked me prior how much are the value of my guitars... and I was honest! I should have marked it up higher ! LOL! :D:p

Nate D and hcski25 like this.
  13. guitarchaeologist

guitarchaeologist Artist Formerly Known as π Strat-Talk Supporter

I am a big fan of an MK... also a fan of the late 80s AV series. (I've got an MK hardtail made from a '59 AVRI) & a couple '88 AVs.
    $2200 is a fair price for a nice late 80s AV. The MKs are rare, making $2200 possibly a good price. There is one for sale in Europe right now for $1900 US, but it's not as nice as this one.
    I hope you get it and enjoy it immensely.
    Keep us posted.

Nate D, ZlurkCorzDog and valvestate like this.
  14. guitarchaeologist

Also keep in mind that the MK version was a "Limited Edition" and had a significantly higher retail price than a standard AV series.

Here are two pages from the 1988 catalog showing retail for the U.S. Vinatge series at $899, while the MK retailed at $1049.

BTW, it was never called a Mary Kaye by Fender. They didn't make an actual MK named guitar until 2003.

88 catalog.jpg

1988 US Vintage Series Specs.jpg

Last edited: Jan 1, 2020
  15. guitarchaeologist

ZlurkCorzDog likes this.
  16. Neil.C

Neil.C Most Honored Senior Member

That MK is lovely.

I'd definitely swap your two guitars for it but I would negotiate on the cash side of the deal.

Show him the as-new version in the link above and say you may have under priced your two.

Good luck.

valvestate likes this.
  17. ZlurkCorzDog

ZlurkCorzDog INMATE #7XX7XX7 Strat-Talk Supporter

I wouldn't hesitate letting go of the Blacktop but I'd think twice about the BB.

18. valvestate

valvestate Strat-Talker

Here are the guitars that he's interested with :

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Nate D likes this.
  19. sonny wolf

sonny wolf Senior Stratmaster

I'm not a big fan of that era USA Strat reissues because the bodies then were too blocky for my tastes.Plus that Greco Les Paul looks killer and I am assuming it is a great guitar too.I'd rather have a current American original 50s Strat in white blonde which is a similar guitar but with a vintage correct body carve and fat neck shape and more accurate pickups.

[​IMG]

bikehomero, Nate D and 3bolt79 like this.
  20. guitarman1984

guitarman1984 Senior Stratmaster

Am I the only one who find something fishy about the pickups? No chamfered pole pieces and the G string poles are too low for what is the standard fender pickups staggering. It could be that the current owner pushed down to the pickup cover those pole pieces to get a more balanced string to string volume, or....?