Fender Blues Junior IV - Breakup settings?

Discussion in 'Amp Input - Normal or Bright' started by emann, Feb 2, 2020.

1. emann

emann Strat-Talk Member Silver Member

Hello,

anyone familiar with this amp?

I have an american professional strat and use this blues junior with it. I am after getting that break up sound from the amp but have no clue how to dial it in. I have no pedals at the moment so experimenting how I can achieve such a break up tone. Also, can this be done at low volume settings - not sure if you call this volume or master but just not to make neighbours knock at my door. What actually is the difference between volume and master knobs as well on the blues junior iv?

Any help where to start, especially from other owners of same amp?

Thanks

2. Stratoholic

Stratoholic Senior Stratmaster

The volume control is the preamp volume, on other amps it would be called "Drive" or "Gain". The master is the actual overall volume. So to get breakup, turn up the one labeled Volume, and turn down the Master to a reasonable level. You can have it whisper quiet, and still get plenty of break up.

3. Mike Furlong

Mike Furlong Strat-O-Master

The volume control is the pre-amp and the master is overall volume. Most guys run the master on maximum and adjust the volume to suite.

If you swop out the 12AX7 tube for a 12AY7 in position 1 your pre-amp should become more manageable. Good luck. :thumb:

If you have never changed tubes before, make sure you unplug the amp and let it sit for a while! Have a look on YouTube first.

Will Lefeurve likes this.
  4. Will Lefeurve

Will Lefeurve Most Honored Senior Member

Not all of us Mike.. ha ha.. :D

If @emann wants breakup at home levels, its max the volume and adjust with the master. With a Strat that normally works out at about 2/3 on the master, max on volume, and twiddle the guitar to suit.

This is of course an old argument concerning these amps, but seeing as I've had a Tweed BJ since they first appeared I think I've more or less sussed it by now.. When I'm gigging its max master and sometimes accompanied by max volume too, and again.. twiddle the guitar to suit.. :)

guitarface and Thrup'ny Bit like this.
  5. longboard blues

longboard blues Senior Stratmaster

2/3 on master? The one I test drove this weekend would have the windows out of their frames. Or do you mean between 2 and 3, and not two thirds?

6. Will Lefeurve

Ha ha.. yeah I made a bit of a mess of my explanation.. between 2 and 3 as you so rightly put it.. :thumb:

longboard blues and Thrup'ny Bit like this.
  7. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon

He lives in a field, somewhere in France. Can't afford windows...;)

8. longboard blues

En France, personne a besoin des fenetres.

9. longboard blues

That does make rather more sense!

10. Will Lefeurve

Well yeah.. you'll have to excuse me.. I hit the vin rouge rather hard last night celebrating my team Portsmouth beating Sunderland.. so suffering a bit today..

longboard blues likes this.
  11. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon

Luckily that sort of thing doesn't happen every week :p

12. longboard blues

Some of that rough old farmhouse red? I lived in Paris and had a girlfriend in Montpellier, so used to spend lots of time in languedoc, I remember those hangovers.. nothing a glass of la Jaune wouldn’t fix .

Will Lefeurve and Thrup'ny Bit like this.
  13. Mike Furlong

14. Mike Furlong

You're right there Will, it's the age old argument with these amps and I bow down to your better judgement as you've had more experience of them than me:thumb:. I should have said "a lot of guys" instead of "most guys" but I based that on what gigging guitarist tell me. As with most things it's a matter of fiddling around until you find the sound that you like:)

15. guitarface

guitarface Most Honored Senior Member

Master volume at no higher than 9 o’clock. Other volume at something higher than 3 o’clock.

16. emann

emann Strat-Talk Member Silver Member

thanks a lot for your advise.

I am looking at the tube replacement..I am quite a hands on person..but on woodwork...is it a difficult and tricky task to replace the tube?

Also will try the setup with volume full on and master at 2-3 and see how it goes as soon as I am back home.

Can I ask you in general how do you dial in an amp with the remainder settings of treble, bass and middle please. I know its a basic question but getting to grasp with a strat and amp is quite different from an acoustic guitar.

17. guitarface

guitarface Most Honored Senior Member

If you want something more systematic then just twiddle the knobs until you like it, try everything at noon and then just tweak from there, one at a time until you hear what you like.

Willmunny likes this.
  18. Mike Furlong

Hi emann. The tube swap is quite straightforward - take off the back cover and you will see 3 small tubes and 2 larger ones. Remove the smaller one nearest the edge of the cabinet - that is position 1. Pop in the new tube and replace the back:thumb:. Job done. Plenty of info on YouTube - have a look before you start. Good luck:)

19. stratobiker

stratobiker Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

I just assume that Fender know how to build an amp and start with treble, middle, and bass settings halfway. From there I adjust my guitar.
    I have found the Blues Junior to be a very versatile amp. I hope you have fun with yours.

Willmunny and Mike Furlong like this.
  20. Will Lefeurve

Its obviously very difficult to tune in to what someone else wants to hear. However, if you want max drive with the BJ at home turn the volume to max and start as low as you can with the master. Try it on 1 first and regulate with the guitar. The lower the master and higher the guitar the more drive.

As for eq settings of the amp, its as well to remember this is a very mid orientated amp. I've often played it with the mids and bass at 0 and the treble at 6. The settings are endless and are entirely dependent on taste. Having said that, I agree with others, set everything to halfway and take it from there. There are no hard and fast rules. Just keep experimenting.. :thumb: