Join Strat-Talk Today

Fender.com Serial # Database correct?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by sabbathu, Jul 11, 2019.

1. sabbathu

sabbathu Strat-Talk Member

So, i am looking at purchasing another Fender Player Series guitar from Guitar Center. It is a used model and I want to drive in and pick it up. I called the store to get the serial number to make sure the listing is describing the correct guitar.

The listing shows reads as "Fender Modern Player Series Guitar". The pictures of the actual guitar show what i know to be the Player series - I can definitely see 22 frets and the 2 point tremolo. 3 tone sunburst with white pick guard and maple colored neck.

However, the serial numbers on Fender's website shows "Player Stratocaster Plus Top" and its got a pic of the plus top guitar with a black pick guard.

When i type in the previous number in the serial number series, it shows the guitar i'm looking at.

Could Fender's database be wrong?

2. Mr Dunlop

Mr Dunlop Senior Stratmaster

You can always give fender a call and have them run the serial also.

Customer Service:
    1-844-202-0924 (US Toll Free)
    1-480-596-7195 (International)

8AM to 11PM EST Monday - Friday

sabbathu likes this.
  3. 1strat

1strat Strat-Talk Member

Wonder if it's possible the previous owner had 2, a plus top and a regular, and he might have swapped the necks and sold the inferior one. He might have liked the neck on the regular better and like the plus top body; just a wild speculation.

vid1900 and sabbathu like this.
  4. dirocyn

dirocyn Senior Stratmaster

A plus top body would have a maple veneer on the front of the guitar. If the serial number says it's a plus top and the body hasn't got visible maple grain, you know the body is not original. It is much more likely this neck has had a different body installed, or that they told you the number wrong, than that the database is wrong.

I would suggest you approach it as though it's a partscaster. Which is certainly how you'll be treated if you ever decide to sell it.

sabbathu and 93-Strat like this.
  5. 93-Strat

93-Strat Strat-O-Master

Someone has probably done some modding to the guitar and GC might have it mislabeled. I do this same thing frequently and have never find the database to be incorrect. You can get open box necks from Stratosphereparts and they were originally to a serialized guitar and put them on whatever you want or get a body and then you end up with a chop shop guitar.

sabbathu likes this.
  6. sabbathu

So, I called Fender and spoke to a rep. He said it’s possible the data base is wrong. He says it has happened before. He also didn’t discount the fact that the body might have been changed out.

7. TimTheViking

TimTheViking Strat-Talker

So really what you're saying is that the forum members know just as much or more about it as Fender customer support.

vid1900 likes this.
  8. Believer7713

Believer7713 Most Honored Senior Member Silver Member

I'm sure that the database is normally correct for newer axes but everytime I've tried it for my 90's strats it's been completely wrong.
    For example I ran the serial number from my 94 Squier Series and it came back as a Wayne's World strat. I even sent it in to Fender customer service and got the same wrong answer. I know for sure that it's not a WW because it says Squier Series on the headstock ball.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

arcticstrat likes this.
  9. sabbathu

I wouldn’t doubt that. In fact, I would expect it

10. Stratoblaster

Stratoblaster Strat-O-Master

I would normally trust Fender first, Guitar Center and previous owners next. You gave enough info I found the one you are looking at and I would probably go off what you see. It's obviously not a Modern Player nor is it a plus top. As for the S/N, who knows? I can understand you don't want to waste more time than necessary in LA traffic to find out it's not as advertised. But I think the pics tell the story. Unless GC screwed those up too which is entirely possible.

11. arcticstrat

arcticstrat Senior Stratmaster

That's been my experience as well. I have 2 -older 1996 MIM Strats and the database don't even acknowledge them. Also have a 2013 that dont show up in the database... Kinda crazy.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Believer7713 likes this.
  12. rlongnt

rlongnt Strat-Talker

I've seen the same thing with older models not being in the database. My Ultimate Chorus amp wasn't either but Fender customer support was able to tell me what I needed from the SN#.

13. Believer7713

I can tell you that the second one with the black label is a Traditional Series which was the same as the Squier Series witg a couple minor changes like a 3 ply PG instead of the single ply.

arcticstrat likes this.
  14. arcticstrat

Yep, it's one of the MIM Squiers with the Fender logo, no Squire lable, and a 3 ply guard.
    Also known as the "Fender MIM Black Lable Squier Series" :D

The neck on this thing is unbelievable, and rivals the ones on my MIAs.

[EDIT] http://www.strat-talk.com/threads/ngd.512911/

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
  15. Believer7713

They actually changed the name from Squier Series to Traditional Series in 1996. The SS ran from 1994 to 1996 then they switched over sometime in 96 and took the Squier Series label off of the headstock. They are Fender guitars and not made in any Squier plant at all. Great players with fantastic necks too.
    Here are both of my Squier Series from 1994.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

arcticstrat likes this.
  16. sabbathu

So, I actually drove down to the store to take a look at it for myself. Totally prepared to take it home if it looked right. I played it and it seemed like the real deal, however, I mentioned this serial number issue to the store employee, and he agreed to remove the neck so that we can look inside.

Guess what. Red stains around the bottom base of the neck. There were additional serial number stickers and hand written notes along with a stamp of some sort. But the red paint stains match up directly with where the neck would touch the body. This would indicate that this neck was connected to the red cherry plus top in the database. I did not purchase it. The store employees were left scratching their heads

17. Mech

Mech Strat-O-Master

Ran both Serials....they're in the System. Drop the Letters.

18. arcticstrat

Cool, where did you run them may I ask?

When I try without the letters, I don't get any specifics for one of them, the Fender MIM, and the "Traditional" series say's, it's a Squier PRO Tone series in sunburst? I don't believe it is, plus doesn't give a year. Not sure what the other abbreviation stands for.

All I get is:

MN 6229889 = STANDARD STRATOCASTER® (1991-2006)

MN 6115299 = SQ PRO TONE STRAT SBT W/GB

When I run my other serials at Fender I get the year, make, model, color, fretboard material, etc.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
  19. Stratoblaster

Stratoblaster Strat-O-Master

DANG!!! Good for you for asking us and them! At least I was right about trust Fender first, GC and previous owners after that.

sabbathu likes this.
  20. sabbathu

Yes, for sure.

Thank you all for helping me make sense of this.

To give credit where credit is due, the guys at the Brea Guitar Center were very accommodating and friendly. So, my wheels started turning and I asked them about the new models on the wall. I asked them how close they could get to the used asking price ($489) but they wouldn’t budge on the price ($675) without a coupon. Then I remembered my “online account manager” once said he could get me deals not available in the store. So I called him on it, explained my situation and time wasted, LOL. He offered me a brand new one through the online store for $130 less than the brick & mortar store price. And free overnight shipping!

So I bought it and now I wait for delivery.

Believer7713 likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.