Join Strat-Talk Today

Fender CS 55 Strat Fiesta Red NOS - Nitro finish

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by milcs, Sep 11, 2019.

1. Neve

Neve Strat-Talker

I hope they are too. With a trained eye, you can immediately tell if a pickup is truly hand wound or not. Look at the winding pattern. A genuine hand wound pickup will NOT have a consistent and uniform threading. It shows quite easily.

2. Neve

Neve Strat-Talker

The grain should through on a see-through blonde finish. That’s the whole point of it being transparent. But hou shouldn’t be able to feel the grain. I’ve seen a couple of vintage original Mary Kay Strats. The finish is smooth. The pores have been carefully filled with a transparent filler.
    Now to the question « why use the ash if it’s going to be painted over? » Well, it is a custom order. That’s what he wanted... I guess.

3. Jack Frost

Jack Frost Strat-Talker

I have a Suhr classic pro strat and if you look at that at different angles you can see the paint sinking into the grain. I have another Suhr with a maple top on a basswood body and that finish is as smooth as... err... something really smooth.

Silvercrow likes this.
  4. milcs

milcs Strat-Talker

Well... I choose a light weight ash body, as this is the original wood that was used in the 50s. Also, for some reason, I wanted an ash body!
    Finally... I am still not convinced that it's not all a problem with the pictures. I hope it's not as bad as it seems... because, as someone mentioned, they didn't fill the body wood. And I asked for a NOS, not an aged, or any other kind of strange finish!

dueducs likes this.
  5. fenderookie

fenderookie Strat-Talker

You bought a Strat that mimics being lost in time

It is made to look like a Strat that was placed under a bed and left for decades. Not a problem with the finish, it’s a painstaking process to create a facsimile of an old model.

NOS WOULD have sunken finish, it’s what nitro does. If you are unhappy, send it back.

6. dueducs

dueducs Senior Stratmaster

I didn't realize you chose the wood, I assumed it was a standard production piece. I love ash and have a Mary Kaye replica. It also has sunken grain and I really like that. I've also seen some sunburst units that have sunken grain and again, I (personally) really like the look.
    Regardless, I hope you can mate with the guitar as it looks like a fine one.

ZlurkCorzDog likes this.
  7. milcs

milcs Strat-Talker

Don't get me wrong... I am happy!
    It's just that I wasn't expecting this kind of finish. Doesn't bother me much... It's just not what I had pictured in my mind, when I thought about building a guitar from scratch!

But indeed, as this was ordered to celebrate my 40th birthday, I wanted something vintage (and modern, at the same time... like me!!!!)... I guess that grain gives that kind of feel!

I will receive it in the next week or so! Being shipped from Germany to Portugal! Can't wait...............................

8. Rogier P

Rogier P Strat-Talk Member

You should be happy, it’s a very nice guitar! The fiesta red looks fantastic. Did you order it with a 3-ply ‘green’ guard? A bit unusual but looks cool though. Congrats!

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

ZlurkCorzDog and Neve like this.
  9. Stratwrangler

Stratwrangler Strat-Talker

@milcs , it does look to have a pink hew to it and will fade as it gets older further , not that we like to agree with wives on this forum to often she may be right ;).
    If your not happy with the finish don't accept it some people like that some don't but for an order of your own you have to be happy with it not us guys on here. :cool:

10. Silvercrow

Silvercrow Senior Stratmaster

Firstly- congrats on a beautiful guitar!

I just had my USA Strat refinished in Oly White by MJT. Their 'thing' is doing finishes to look old. Mine is what they call 'closet clear' essentially like Fender's NOS. And indeed, in my nitro finish, there are very slight 'imperfections' almost like a barely noticeable brush stroke- for lack of better description. I've yet to be able to photograph what I'm talking about- but was assured that it is a 'feature' of the refinishing process they use.

No grain showing on mine, but mine is an alder body...so much different than ash.

AND don't forget, Fender has 'production' custom shop guitars and then those, like yours, that were 'made to order'. I'd be awfully proud to own one like yours. Not that the other CS guitars are bad, but a truly custom guitar is...something apart IMO.

I LOVE my finish- betting you will love yours too!

reverb11 and ZlurkCorzDog like this.
  11. milcs

milcs Strat-Talker

Thanks!!
    Yeah... For some reason I though the white was too white! Well... at least, pick guards are easy to change! :D

12. milcs

milcs Strat-Talker

Well... What can I say? There is a clause on my order that says I can't return the guitar. It's what it is... Like a person! You don't get to like everything about someone. You like the "package"! Here's hoping I will like the "package" on my CS!!!

Anyway... I asked the guy that ordered the guitar for me and he said it's not pink. As he is a guy working for Thomann that probably saw hundreds of these, I am going to go with that and wait until I look at it "in person" to make up my mind!

13. milcs

milcs Strat-Talker

Cheers mate! Hoping I will love my finish more than you love yours! :D
    And indeed, this guitar was bought with the help of my family and most loved friends. It's a symbol of this adventure through life! And I will be very happy to hold it in my hands, and carrying on together in the direction of the future! :)

Stratwrangler and Silvercrow like this.
  14. Dick Blackmore

Dick Blackmore Senior Stratmaster

so beautiful...\m/:)\m/

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.