Fender Custom Shop 60th Anniversary '54 Strat vs. American Original '50s

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by dnabbet2, Oct 13, 2021.

1. dnabbet2

dnabbet2 New Member!

I admit I'm generally a Gibson man but I'm thinking of picking up a maple 'board Strat here in Turkey.

So I'm definitely "not in Kansas anymore" but in my actual neighbourhood is a used 2018 two-tone sunburst American Original '50s Strat at about $2,000USD, and in online in Istanbul there's a 2015 Custom Shop 60th Anniversary '54 Strat purporting to be a three-tone sunburst at about $3,500USD.

Any thoughts or advice? I don't want to pay more than I have to but I do want resale value.

Thanks in advance for any guidance.

2. EC Strat

EC Strat Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

Either one would be a killer axe to have - I’d probably lean towards the 2 tone as I’m more partial to those and I really like the AO series.

That said, the CS 54’ Anni is probably just about as it as it gets craftsmanship wise.

either one will transform you into a Strat man

3. Intune

Intune Senior Stratmaster

You can go wrong with either one. You sure the CS anniversary 54 is a 3tsb? I know it’s a wide 2 tone that almost looks like there’s red in it but it’s still 2 tone.

I’d get whatever one you can afford or physically play in person. I have the AV 54 anniversary and it’s wild.

Nate D likes this.
  4. LOSTVENTURE

LOSTVENTURE Senior Stratmaster

The 2014 AV54 is actually more vintage correct (pickups, neck profile, etc) than the CS version. I played both and got the AV. As far as quality goes, they are both top on the line.

Intune likes this.
  5. dnabbet2

dnabbet2 New Member!

Thanks, all.

I'm sceptical about the three-tone as well, and I'll contact the seller. The spec' list accompanying the ad does say three tone.

I'll read up on the AV54 right away -- 2018 production the same animal you're referring to?

The Custom Shop is a big price difference for features that, as a non-Fender "connoisseur", I might not appreciate anyway.

Intune likes this.
  6. Intune

The AV54 I believe was only available for 2014 as a 60th anniversary. I’m actually not even sure it was available from 2012-2017 as part of the AV series line up.

Really any vintage reissue from any year are great. Just depends on what you’re looking for spec wise.

7. dnabbet2

dnabbet2 New Member!

A pretty guitar never hurts! :) And I find the two-tone finish a bit stark.

But I'm playing more funky rhythm stuff and even though I'm using mostly a Les Paul '54 Custom reissue with the single coil "staple" pickup it's not really bright enough.

So I thought a Strat was the logical option. With a maple 'board 'cause I have mostly rosewood and ebony boards ... also, a maple 'board is not a shipping problem for CITES.

And I thought a second-hand "vintage" oriented model would keep it's value better if I decide to lose it. And, finally, I need to buy it in Turkey or I'll pay heavy shipping and duty.

So, those are the criteria. Thoughts are welcome. Many thanks again for advice.

8. dnabbet2

dnabbet2 New Member!

The 2018 AO '54 model appears still to be in production and the price is in the ballpark per Reverb.

Reviews say they have a clubby neck which I like ... best alternative to a CS.

I'll check out the one in my neighbourhood.

9. Intune

I think you mean 2018 AO 50’s. It does have a large neck. Great guitars. Different than the specific 54 reissue Strat but still gets you there.

10. dnabbet2

dnabbet2 New Member!

The listing says Fender American Original 50s Stratocaster "purchased" in 2018, so, yes, I'm sure now that you're right and it's an AO 50s, and that's what I've been checking the prices on and reading the reviews for.

I actually contacted you Strat guys in the first place because there seem, to a Gibson guy, to be so many Strat models these days, and some cost the earth and others are surprisingly affordable.