Fender Deluxe Reverb...65 RI vs 68 RI

Discussion in 'Amp Input - Normal or Bright' started by easterik, Nov 9, 2020.

1. easterik

easterik Strat-Talk Member

I'm interested in one of the new Deluxe Reverbs and so I'm just soliciting thoughts on the difference between the 65 RI and 68 RI and if anyone has a preference and why.

For background and context, I think that I'm an intermediate level player. Being the colossal idiot that I am, I bought a 1977 Twin Reverb on impulse because...well it was there and I'm an idiot. I actually love my Twin Reverb but it is way too much amp for someone like me who is more likely to get paid to stop playing guitar.

I know that I'll need to just take my guitar over to the store and plug it in to both and see what I like best but I know that there are some of you out there that are more experienced that I am that could probably provide some insights into the advantages and disadvantages of each.

The guitars I play are:
    1995 MIJ Telecaster
    2012-ish American Strat (not sure about the pickups but I will probably replace them with some Fender Vintage Noiseless pickups soon)
    Would someday like to get a Telecaster Deluxe w/ Shawbucker pickups.

https://shop.fender.com/en-US/guitar-amplifiers/vintage-pro-tube/65-deluxe-reverb/0217400000.html

https://shop.fender.com/en-US/guita...tube/’68-custom-deluxe-reverb/2274000000.html

2. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Dr. Stratster

Neither, your late 70s Twin Reverb has something these 2 amps don't - MASTER volume - meaning you can get the preamp tubes cookin' nice and keep the volume low....

Those other amps you're asking about tend to only sound good/great when CRANKED, and you'd need that plus an attenuator for most home use....

Nate D and johnnymg like this.
  3. radd

radd Strat-O-Master

I had the 65 reissue, great small tube amp. I like clean, and the tone at low bedroom volumes was wonderful, especially with some of its Reverb dialed in.

I sold it only because I also had a Roland Blues Cube Stage and did not need two amps so I decided to go with the bulletproof technology of the SS as opposed to tubes. I still miss it.

1110FA3E-300D-4B39-B266-530686FECDFD.jpeg

tanta07 likes this.
  4. fender blender

fender blender Strat-Talk Member

5. LivingMyDream

LivingMyDream Strat-Talker

easterik, I've had both of them, and I ended up letting the '68 go and keeping the '65. It all depends on what you want from your amp. The '68 will break up a little sooner than the '65, and to my ears it also has a slightly more aggressive sound, in general.

I preferred the slightly later break up of the '65 and it's smoother sound (I have heard some people complain that the 65's treble can be "ice picky, " although I haven't had that issue on the "normal" channel, and with some careful eq'ing, I get a very nice sound out of the "vibrato" channel). Again, which you choose will depend on what you want from your amp.

Fender65DeluxeReverbAmplifier-1_zps3c74ef33.jpg

6. jrbirdman

jrbirdman Senior Stratmaster Platinum Supporting Member

I like the '65, I think it has a richer tone. I use an OCD and a Tumnus to give it some drive.

You might want to look into a 5E3 they can get some nice driven sounds.

If you're just playing at home or small venues check out a Egnater Rebal-20. Switchable wattage from 1 to 20 watts
    6v6 or el84 or a blend of the tubes, gain and master volume. Great little amp. I got the head and I run it thru either my 1x12 or the 2x12 cabs with vintage 30's

7. 64 Tele

64 Tele Strat-O-Master

I owned a 1964 and 1966 blackface Deluxe Reverb for about 20 years before selling.
    Twenty years later, I'm playing again and looking at Deluxe Reverbs. I A/B'd the '65 RI and
    Also the 68 Custom DR. I was aware of the stories of hiss associated with the 68, so played
    both in person.
    Thinking I'd take the '65 home, I surprised myself by choosing the 68 as the one I took home.
    My 68 is dead quiet (no hiss), the two channels are in phase, allowing them to be blended like a 4 hole
    Marshall or 5E3 Deluxe, and they are two distinctly different sounding channels.
    Add in the reverb and trem on both channels and it's icing on the cake.
    The 68 works and sounds like I'd wished my blackface DRs had sounded like.
    My two cents....

93-Strat and Paperback Rocker like this.
  8. Paperback Rocker

Paperback Rocker Do it or screw it.

You can play either of those DR amps on 2, and they'll sound great.

I have a '65 w a Celestion Cream that sounds amazing. I played a '68 the other day that sounded like Heaven. I wasn't able to play them side by side on the same settings, so I'm not going to speculate too much. I will say everyone listening to the '68 was almost in awe of how good that amp sounded.

By no means do you need to crank it to get a good sound. But if you do crank it, it will sound a lot like SRV and be loud enough for a club.

They get real loud real fast above about 4. I've never wanted for a master volume with mine, but if I lived in an apartment it would be a huge issue.

93-Strat likes this.
  9. chicago slim

chicago slim Senior Stratmaster

I owned an original 60's Deluxe Reverb. Thirty years later, I kind of missed the amp. I tried the 65 and 68 DRRI's, repeatedly. I almost decided on the 68, when I tried a Boss Kanata. I was surprised how close of a Tremolo sound I could get with the Katana. What won me over, was the Tweed like sound and Tape Echo. My first amp was a Tweed Deluxe and as a rockabilly player, I really use Tape Echo, not Reverb.

So, it really comes down to what you are looking for, from an amp. Both have their own sound.

johnnymg likes this.
  10. myredstrat

myredstrat Senior Stratmaster

11. tanta07

tanta07 Strat-O-Master

I prefer the '68. It just has THAT bloom you're looking for when it gets up to gig volumes.

I've played a few different '65s on a few different occasions, and just couldn't dial in that same magic that I get on my '68. Other people rave about the '65, so maybe I'm just weird or have had bad luck finding a good one.

93-Strat likes this.
  12. easterik

easterik Strat-Talk Member

Thanks Everyone! You guys always help me think about things in different ways. Not sure what I'm gonna do yet but this helps me understand why some players like each model.

13. RandyM

RandyM Strat-Talker

Although I prefer tubes, try out the Tonemaster Deluxe Reverb also, just to compare and make choosing even harder.

14. EC Strat

EC Strat Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

I’m curious on the Celestion Cream - is it voiced more American or British?

15. Paperback Rocker

I have no idea, but it's 90 watt, so headroom for days.

16. 93-Strat

93-Strat Strat-O-Master

The '68, both channels have trem and reverb and each has a different tonestack for different tones. I like the look better also. It is cheaper. Better deal to me.

Duane_the_tub likes this.
  17. heltershelton

heltershelton BANNED Silver Member

i used to hate fender amps, but i was at a rehearsal one day last year and the tubes in my ac30 fizzled out, so i plugged in to my singers 65 drri and loved it. loved it so much i bought it from him.
    since then ive put in a rare eminence alnico 50 watt red fang, and it rules. the red fang takes longer to break up, so if i want grit i use a pedal.

18. telepraise

telepraise Strat-Talker

I put that same speaker (alnico cream) into my PRRI SE (12"). Turned that little amp into a monster! It's so loud I have to use an OD pedal and the break up tone glorious!

edit: EC strat- it doesn't sound British in a black face Fender. Way different from a low watt blue.

EC Strat and Paperback Rocker like this.
  19. Mr Jagsquire

Mr Jagsquire Strat-Talker

Maybe as a home player and since you already have a Twin, how about a Princeton reverb instead? Same discussion about '65 or '68 I guess (or '62 Stapleton version too). I have the '64 Custom Deluxe reverb and was considering a Princeton as well. I can only ever use the Deluxe as a clean amp at home and most of the rehearsal places I've played at I still don't have it turned up enough to really break up.

It's lovely clean tone of course, but IMHO a Deluxe at home isn't much different to having your Twin with it's master volume (and possibly taking out two valves as someone else mentioned).

easterik likes this.
  20. Paperback Rocker

Okay, I understand now. Agreed, no 15 watt blue bark out of this. Creamy is a better descriptor, but it will break up with volume. Glad it improved your 12" PRRI. My buddy had one and got rid of it quick with the original speaker.

EC Strat likes this.