Join Strat-Talk Today

Fender DeVille 1996 Hot Rod ( Drive and more drive sucks )

Discussion in 'Amp Input - Normal or Bright' started by Snake Eyes, Nov 20, 2019.

1. Snake Eyes

Snake Eyes Strat-Talker

Hi folks,

I recently bought a Fender Hot Rod DeVille 1996 4 x 10 coated in velvet ( see picture )
    The clean channel is quite good, the drive and more drive awful
    Which stomp box could I use ?
    I have a JHS Morning Glory what do you think about this pedal ?
    This amp pratically has one channel since the drive and more drive are very bad to hear and the weight of the amp is another problem
    I use to have a 1976 Twin Reverb Silverface but was too heavy so I changed for this DeVille

Attached Files:

Silvercrow, mshivy and abnormaltoy like this.
  2. Ferpie

Ferpie Strat-O-Master

Well i don’t think that was the right choice if you were looking for lighter... maybe a Hot Rod Deluxe would have been more appropriate? Anyway, you’ve got a great amp and basically any pedal is right for it. Usually people tend to team up the fender amps with mid boosters such as the Tubescreamer to cut through better but if you’re looking for a harder drive the Fender Pugilist is definitely a great option...

rafasounds and abnormaltoy like this.
  3. GaryM

GaryM Strat-Talker

I owned a Hot Rod Deville at one time. Installing a 5751 in V1 and V2 as well as a 12AT7 in V3 cleaned it up a lot. It even made the dirty channels useable.

abnormaltoy, Tone Guru and Nick-O like this.
  4. himijendrix

himijendrix Senior Stratmaster

I use a Hotrod Deluxe and rarely use the drive channel. I use a Tubescreamer through the clean channel most of the time.

FASTLANE likes this.
  5. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Strat-O-Master

Just did a gig with a buddy who used his Deville with no pedals. We were just talking about how excellent it was, it did twang-clean of course, and then the drive channel was liquid, smooth and overdriven. Several folks played his Les Paul thru it, and all three got different sounds too. It covered all the bases very well, and at reasonable levels too. Dead stock. I'd say, you might should stick with it a bit longer, re-consider your guitar volume and tone settings, pickup adjustments, and amp settings. And, if you need the better overdrive, give up a little sparkle on the clean settings with the eq.

mshivy, nadzab and Ferpie like this.
  6. mistermikev

mistermikev Strat-Talker

have the sm amp at home. clean channel is just the best... not quite as clean as a twin, not as dirty as a deluxe... not as brutal loud as a twin, but def LOUD. The dirt channel - it's pretty awful. I do like it with the gain almost off... which makes it a slightly dirtier version of the clean channel. Then again I replaced v1 with nos and I just couldn't even use the dirty channel before that but admittedly didn't try it with 'zero gain' so ymmv. I did also replace stock speakers with celestion but it was a minor difference... little tighter, little cleaner, but a little less classic fender flab (I enjoy flab so it was a wash).

other than chnl1 the amp is totally worthless... but I wouldn't trade this amp for anything. even love the transistor reverb.

ds1 in front of it is nice for crunch. germanium fuzz face is bliss. my fav is a ge rangemaster with freq control as stock rangemaster is really bright... and does not mix well with it... but shift the freq range down (basically a germanium boost at that point) and it's 7 distinct types of amazing. I've run a diesel emulator thru, and a mesa rectifier emulator thru it... even a jcm800 emulator -all sound pretty good for heavy. klon sounds great thru it. amp really takes pedals well and I'd honestly be surprised to hear of any pedal that didn't work well with it.

rafasounds likes this.
  7. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Senior Stratmaster

That's unusual... and amp covered in corduroy!

Ferpie likes this.
  8. AxemanVR

AxemanVR I appreciate, therefore I am... Strat-Talk Supporter

`
    Yeah, unless you really like the Drive channels on the Fender Hot Rod Deluxe/DeVille amps, some people generally regard them as being only good for one channel - but that one channel is an excellent platform for almost any kind of music you'd probably want to perform (given the right effects are being utilized, etc).

It's difficult to advise you on what pedal(s) to use, since we don't know what your playing style is. Plus, to really get your amp to shine (tonally speaking) you'd probably have to crank the volume up to deafeningly high levels, so that's another factor to consider.

As far as the weight is concerned, practically any tube combo 40+ watt amp with four speakers is going to be fairly hefty. About the only things that can be lightened are the speakers (using lighter neodymium speaker magnets for instance). Otherwise it's going to difficult to lighten them up much further.

Like @Ferpie suggested, a Hot Rod Deluxe would probably be easier to manage, weight-wise.

Additionally, you may want to consider getting something like a 22-watt Fender Deluxe Reverb Reissue that can be cranked up closer to "10" to better find the sweetspot...

`

Last edited: Nov 20, 2019
  9. The-Kid

The-Kid Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Pretty much used my Blues Deluxe as a pedal platform on clean.

Clean tones we're good

Just get a Fuzz and an OD and your set

10. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Probably needs new tubes and a re-bias.....if you think the driven sounds are terrible....

nadzab likes this.
  11. guitarface

guitarface Most Honored Senior Member

This is the first time anyone has ever gone to a hot rod Deville because their other amp was too heavy.

12. mistermikev

mistermikev Strat-Talker

must be an aweful lot of badly biased hot rod deviles in the world because this is the general consensus on them everywhere... and given that the clean channel sounds amazing in all these cases - I'd say it's unlikely and issue with bias. Seems more likely it just doesn't 'do it' for most folks. eh, different strokes. (no offense meant btw)

Ferpie likes this.
  13. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

I've played through them and loved them - but then again I can get good tone out of any amp even a Danelectro Honeytone or a Fender Champ 15.....or Frontman 10.....

14. Bob the builder

Bob the builder Most Honored Senior Member

IMO
    Fender = clean.

15. Ferpie

Ferpie Strat-O-Master

There’s just a chainsaw feel to the drive channel that sounds so unnatural

mistermikev likes this.
  16. mistermikev

mistermikev Strat-Talker

yeah, drive channel def sounds as good as a frontman (hehe).

for me... it just sounds muddy and uninspiring... and the highs are not pleasing (I guess that's the chainsaw aspect). Then again, it's not an amp I go to for higher gain sounds(or even med gain)... if I want that I turn on the marshal or axefx. for me... it's a clean amp. that's what it does well so that's what I use it for. If you want dirt out of it... turn on a pedal or better yet play it full blast into an attenuator on chnl1. It gets sufficiently dirty but your ears might bleed.

Ferpie likes this.
  17. Ferpie

Ferpie Strat-O-Master

The whole issue is the drive channel itself.
    They literally could rip this whole thing off and install a good Tremolo or Chorus unit and the whole hot rod line would be a lot more appealing. Not that it needs more sell anyway but that dirt channel just isn’t cutting it from I to IV.

mistermikev likes this.
  18. nederemer

nederemer Senior Stratmaster

The problem is for the overdriven channel you need to have it EQed entirely differently than the clean channel. I owned the HRD and loved the drive. But, you can't really use both because if you tweak the drive to sound good - then the clean sounds are blah.

19. rudos1

rudos1 Senior Stratmaster

I have a HRD and use my T-Rex Yellow Drive into the clean channel. The OD side is Tube Screamer-ish and the Distortion side is Rat-like

20. Warlag

Warlag Strat-Talk Member

I have one of the first edition Hot Rod Deville Amos also.. mines a 2x12 though.. I love it.. it was my first fender amp. Some collectors and others really like these cause they were made in U.S.A. Some people don’t like the gain on these amps but I don’t mind it. I love the clean though. A lot of people also like to change the speakers in these too.. apparently it can make a nice difference. I think I seen a mod that plugs into one of the inputs on the amp and creates a master volume. Maybe something like that could improve the gain some. I never read into that device to find out if it was real though.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.