Join Strat-Talk Today

Fender DeVille 1996 Hot Rod ( Drive and more drive sucks )

Discussion in 'Amp Input - Normal or Bright' started by Snake Eyes, Nov 20, 2019.

1. Bighump

Bighump Strat-Talker

I have a Bogner La Grange that sounds amazing with my Fender amps. I also like the TS808 with it and stacked into the La Grange. I'm sure a Klone will get you some good vibes as well. I think it all depends on what you want for your drive tone.

2. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Strat-O-Master

The Deville was an incredibly successful product. Fender spent some time and money on the drive channel. Some folks know how to use it, some don't.

3. rafasounds

rafasounds Senior Stratmaster

The blues deluxe reissue is pretty much the same amp in smaller size. I only use the clean channel on mine and use pedals for dirt. It could probably be optimized with some tweaks and new tubes, but its ok as is.

4. rudos1

rudos1 Senior Stratmaster

[​IMG]
    I have one of these for my HRDeluxe although I just use it for taming the volume. Might be good for tweaking the gain channel as well..

5. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Strat-O-Master

I wouldn't expect interest, from those who spend 5 minutes twisting knobs, and dismiss an amp's lead channel as "awful". If they aren't willing to spend the time, they probably aren't going to spend the $$.

But I'm interested, given that I'm getting decent lead tones already. I'll check it out. Effects loop, or speaker circuit?

6. The Strat Dude

The Strat Dude Sticker bushes and Posy rules! Strat-Talk Supporter

I do not have a Deville but my "The Twin " seems like ( just from memory and sound) the drive channel on it is much like the Deville ( can't speak for the more drive though) . I used to hate the drive channel on my The Twin. Now I find it very usable, but it sounds it's best very loud for sure. but dial in that drive channel to a low-ish overdrive and then hit it with a tubescreamer :D. It seems like my taste is a moving target as I find I like more organic tones nowadays, anyhow just my 2 pennies.

7. rudos1

rudos1 Senior Stratmaster

Effects loop

8. Silvercrow

Silvercrow Senior Stratmaster

I owned and gigged a Blues Deville 4-10 for several years. It ain't exactly light, either, although lighter than a twin.

I'll answer your pedal question with a question:

What flavor ice cream do I like? Help me out....

OK...being somewhat of a smart a$$ but the pedal that sounds good to you for YOUR tone, YOUR playing style is the one to go for.

Incidentally, I agree with you- 'drive and more drive' should have been left off of those amps, IN MY OPINION. Others may love those settings...?

You've got a Klon clone of sorts- that's my 'go to' OD pedal. When I was gigging my DeVille, I used a Keeley modded Blues Driver and also a ProCo Rat, to great success, for me.

OUTSTANDING amp, in my opinion. CONGRATS. You may be interested to know that when Dave Mason was touring solo in the late 90's early 2000's his rider specified Blues Deville's for his backline. True shizz! He made 'em sound REALLY good, too!

Brian

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.