Fender discontinuing the American Standard series

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Jumpin Jiveblue, Dec 2, 2016.

1. Jumpin Jiveblue

Jumpin Jiveblue Strat-Talk Member

As I have said before yes they are discontinuing,, apparently, what is called the American Standard series. Today I found out a little more info on this subject. This is my second post to this strat-talk ,....site thank you for listening. As per my previous post in which i answered someone else's question.... the best I understood at that time , is similar to what I heard today. I was told by a reputable Fender dealer that (one) they will be changing the necks to a "D" shaped neck rather than the "C"....there abouts. The first information I receive just stated it would be a deeper neck.... so there you have it. ( Second )....
    They also said that the pickup's would all be noise-less....NOISELESS....apparently there is an improved version of the noiseless pickups now? I asked about the custom shop pickups and was told either they have noiseless versions of those or that they would only be put on the Vintage Custom Shop guitars only? ALSO, was told that there would no longer be Mexican made guitars with American Parts on them such as the 60s classic players Strat or 50s classic player Strat or any like those. The Mexican guitars will be Mexican and the American will be American and the parts will follow suit. I wanted to share this because I know there are many who are thinking about it and I am a big Fender fan. I hope that any info I am sharing is close to accurate or false because particularly I don't like what I'm hearing, I am old school , so I'm letting you know what I've heard from good sources.... if I am incorrect in any way don't blame it on me....just blame it on Cain, thank you for listening, talk to you soon, catch you on the flip side, Blues Man.

2. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Most Honored Senior Member

I think the discontinuation of the AM Standard is well documented here if you read the related threads. The new US standard guitar will be called the Professional, and will also include Jazz masters and Jaguar's in it's line up, as well as Strat's and Tele's.

However, that is new news AFAIK about all the parts being made in their individual factories, but I guess it makes economic sense to Fender, otherwise it wouldn't be viable.

pennguitar likes this.
  3. RichieS

RichieS Strat-Talker

like this? :D

texastengu likes this.
  4. John C

John C Most Honored Senior Member

First off - welcome. Secondly your dealer is wrong about the pickups - they are new for the model but they aren't noiseless; you still have to move up in price to the American Elites for them (or move down in price to the MIM Deluxe series).

According to the few in-hand demos people have posted your dealer was correct - the neck isn't thicker, but it's a D/U shape that feels "fatter" compared to the old C. I still haven't gotten to check one out in person; I didn't make it to Mass Street Music in Lawrence KS when I was back home in KC over the holidays.

Murphcaster likes this.
  5. Londonbus

Londonbus Strat-Talk Member

Not 100% sure about all of the specifics behind that issue. I know the new Professionals will say "Made in Corona" and not "Made in USA", as apparently now (At least in California) recent laws were worded so that if ANYTHING on the product is not manufactured in the USA, you can't put a "Made in the USA" label on the product. So even if the insulation on the wiring is a product made outside of the US, you can't label the product as "Made in the USA".

6. AndyK

AndyK Strat-Talker

The sales guy I bought my 60's Classic from said one of the Fender marketing guys didn't like the fact that American Standard makes toilets, so they voted to retire that name. Sounds plausible I guess - although American Standard (toilets and sinks) were around way before the Stratocaster!

7. Vintagebrit

Vintagebrit Great Hugger of Strats

And £1400 for the Professional. One price increase too far for me.

texastengu, savofenno and fenderkev like this.
  8. vid1900

vid1900 Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Let's be honest here, who hasn't sat on their American Standard while playing their American Standard?

Attached Files:

• 000.jpg
      000.jpg
      File size:
      26.8 KB
      Views:
  9. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Most Honored Senior Member

I think this will be the very real test for Fender. Those that have the money will buy them anyway, but those in the middle who now find these new Professionals out of reach, will either go down the used path, or go for the MIM, MIC route.

I really don't think they are doing themselves any favours in the UK, especially as wages have not gone up in line with the massive price hikes Fender have imposed this year. I think folks in the UK will be looking elsewhere for musical instruments, Brexit, or not.

10. John C

John C Most Honored Senior Member

Wow - prices are bad enough here in the USA but everywhere else it's really getting bad for USA goods. Going from $1,300 to $1,400 isn't horrible here - other companies are taking some increases this year as well (EBMM is going up $100 on the Cutlass and StingRay for example - they were $200 more than an American Standard for 2016, and they will be $200 more than the American Pros for 2017).

Do those of you in the UK usually get discounts off of Fender's MAP price? Here we can usually get a better deal than MAP - even if it's just getting one of the big sellers (Guitar Center/Musician's Friend, etc.) to honor one of their 10% or 15% off coupons.

11. Vintagebrit

Vintagebrit Great Hugger of Strats

Andertons, GuitarGuitar, GAK, DV247, Dawsons and a couple more are the UK big players and are often £100 to £200 cheaper than the local Music Stores.
    When the new models come out, they don't offer discounts straight away.
    Here's some UK Prices from GuitarGuitar, the biggest and often cheapest.
    American Elite - £1573 to £1707
    American Vintage - £1499 - £1650
    American Pro - £1399 - £1469
    American Special - £901
    American Artist Eric Clapton £1784
    Classic Series Lacquer 50's/60's £901.
    Don't know how this compares with USA prices.

12. fenderkev

fenderkev Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Me too. If I do decide on another new US made Strat, it will have to the the Special with its MIM pickguard, Trem' unit, Tuners, pots, from Taiwan, etc, etc.

Double EE and savofenno like this.
  13. Rudi

Rudi Senior Stratmaster

poor yanks i feel for you !

pro strat 2300 AUS, 2875 US$
    elite Strat 3200 AUS, 4000 US$
    STREET PRICE

MIA Standart Strat 2012 1600 AUD, 2000 US$
    MIA Standart Strat 2016 2200 AUD 2750 US$

What i really don't get is, why Australian made guitars like Maton are so expensive.
    I'd like to hear their excuse.

I don't know the average US income, but i guess 1400 US$ for a pro is
    pretty steep for the normal American citizen no matter what.

14. Yogi

Yogi Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

You do know the American standards used the same pickguard, pots and tuners right? It's just where they are made. Fender stopped using Schaller tuners on the standards back in like 09 I believe. CTS pots have been made in Taiwan for decades.

ZlurkCorzDog likes this.
  15. stratman323

stratman323 Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

So if that's true, has it really taken them 30 years to realise this?

16. Yogi

Yogi Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Probably had to do with the Internet and analytics . I just did a Google search for American Standard and the first whole page is toilets, bathroom parts and a heating and AC company.

Nick Evans and Rastus like this.
  17. Rastus

Rastus Senior Stratmaster

That stinks !!!

18. tealsixtysix

tealsixtysix Senior Stratmaster

As others have noted, we have hashed this out extensively elsewhere. MSRP is $1399 for Strats and Teles in the US, $1499 for the Jaguars and Jazzmasters, not sure about the Tele Deluxe (the new name for the redesigned Tele HH -- it looks like a '70s Tele Deluxe, very cool) and the basses but they'll be in that ballpark. The Strats are very similar to the latest American Standards with a few changes: New pickups, 6105 frets instead of medium jumbos, new "deep C" neck profile. The pickups are not Noiseless but they are all-new, designed by Bill Shaw.

They're already showing up at dealers. I have heard that the official launch will happen on Monday, December 5 (tomorrow).

AmPro Strats Overview.jpeg
    AmPro Strat specs.jpeg

Double EE likes this.
  19. AndyK

AndyK Strat-Talker

If they used the 6 screw tremolo they would be perfect! Good radius, bone nut, chunkier neck. I like!

20. fenderkev

fenderkev Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Yes I know that already. Its just that someone said in this thread that the new Am Pro will be made up of entirely US made parts. I'll be surprised if thats actually the case. New name, different neck shape and frets, different pups, and a bigger price tag from what I can see so far.