Join Strat-Talk Today

Fender factory seconds

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by gerryl98, May 23, 2014.

1. gerryl98

gerryl98 Strat-Talker

So I know from the factory tour guide that blemished necks get a date with the band saw. He also said that they don't sell factory second guitars because it dilutes the brand. Does anyone know if blemished bodies get destroyed as well? There's a guy on Craigslist selling Fender "factory produced seconds" stamped F.P.S in the neck pocket.

2. Broccoli1

Broccoli1 Strat-Talker

3. Broccoli1

Broccoli1 Strat-Talker

Can you post a link to the CL ad?

4. gerryl98

gerryl98 Strat-Talker

5. Broccoli1

Broccoli1 Strat-Talker

Well the price ain't bad.

6. 73Fender

73Fender Senior Stratmaster

Actually I bought a 2nd from a dealer in Brooklyn (Pro Audio Star) they call them B stock. They claim it came from Fender like that but who knows. It's a 2011 AVRI 72 Custom Tele. It had a few body dings and funny, a fingerprint in the finish. Looks like a woman's pinky print. I had never heard of Fender 2nds before or since until this thread. The model is discontinued and the price was right and they came down quite a bit. And it came with a fantastic set up. Here's their page of B stock
    Electric Guitars - Instrument Gear

Here's the neck pocket on mine I don't see a 2nd marking:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. CalicoSkies

CalicoSkies Senior Stratmaster

I don't know, but I don't think I'd want to buy such factory seconds even if they are cheap, if they might have things like hairline cracks etc.. When I buy something, I plan to keep it for a while. So IMO, an inferior product at a cheap price is still a bad deal.

8. Broccoli1

Broccoli1 Strat-Talker

I somewhat agree:D if the product is truly inferior like cheap Chinese tools.
    You end up paying more in the long run because they are actually inferior to better quality tools that you only have to buy once.

Used guitars are sold at less than their original price and they might have dings,
    Hairline cracks etc but they are not really inferior.

9. Jonny Hotnuts

Jonny Hotnuts Senior Stratmaster

When I worked at Peavey guitar R&D if there was a guitar that wasnt right we would run them through a band saw if they couldnt get repaired.

I seen a number of beautiful quilt vandenbergs get cut in half.....

I ended up with a few seconds.....but was asked to never part with them....nor would I. My 'seconds' were all handmade prototype stuff or had a change that was not standard in production.

I am surprised Fender would allow seconds to leave the factory.

~JH

10. 73Fender

73Fender Senior Stratmaster

Well,in my case it was an AVRI Tele, not much that will hurt a Tele. And they had a 30 day return policy. It came with all the sealed case candy and correct black tolex case. Just a few surface flaws which is fine with me I hate minty guitars. And this B stock came with the best action of any new Fender I ever bought..go figure. And the guitar was discontinued a year before, the only other new ones I saw on e bay were like $400 more. For $400 I'll take a fingerprint and a few finish dings any day. I knew I was going to make some changes too so it helped pay for the parts.

Looking at the dealer's page the listed prices are not great on their B stock page, you have to haggle with them.

11. spyglass

spyglass Strat-O-Master

I created a thread while back asking if the ebay fender parts guys were selling seconds.

12. stratocarlster

stratocarlster Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

B stock = shop soiled or returned.

13. simoncroft

simoncroft Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

+1. The term is applied across many electrical and musical businesses to mean items that have perhaps been used for demonstration purposes by the manufacturer, or have perhaps been returned from a dealer and put into full working order, but are no longer in factory-fresh, unopened condition.

'B Stock' is not normally a term applied to factory seconds.

14. Achyskic

Achyskic Senior Stratmaster

I have bought 2 tele bodies both american standards with minor blem and all fender stamps and micro tilts....these bodies are out there I have a feeling they come out of the factory through employees.....

15. Jonny Hotnuts

I know at Peavey it would of been easier to steal moon rocks from the moon then to get a guitar out. I have some but they were gifts from the highest order with strict stipulations. I cant imagine people risking their job for getting a few bucks for factory seconds.

I am not saying it didnt happen as I dont know.

It would be interesting however to know the truth.

~JH

16. Jonny Hotnuts

Now that I think about it....because these are seconds that wouldnt pass inspect.....

Ill bet the bank someone was dumpster diving. That is how they got out of the building and why they are seconds.

~JH

17. Achyskic

Achyskic Senior Stratmaster

You are most likely right...the fellow I bought mine from lived in the same town as the Fender Factory.

Sad thing is it took 2 mins on each to sad the blem out.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.