Fender forum gone

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by Stratwrangler, Mar 21, 2020.

1. Nerd

Nerd Strat-O-Master

That ****ing sucks

2. Namelyguitar

Namelyguitar Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

What about the archived member posts with information on older models, specifications, or other interestng data?

Nick Evans and tery like this.
  3. johnnymg

johnnymg Most Honored Senior Member

Thanks for checking. That's how it should work. This is indeed 2020. bwahahaha.

ocean likes this.
  4. Tone Guru

Tone Guru Senior Stratmaster

... and track, clickbait, monetize

5. tery

tery Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

… Gone

Namelyguitar likes this.
  6. CB91710

CB91710 This is a Custom Title Gold Member Strat-Talk Supporter

They posted the announcement a couple of weeks ago.

I'm surprised it went as long as it did.

They would take a week to sometimes three to approve new members, and the new members would post multiple threads asking the same question, not realizing they were not cleared to post.
    By the time they were approved, they had gotten their answers here, or on TGP, so when people finally did answer there, the answer went unacknowledged.

Other than Brad Traweek, who is the director of web development, Fender had no official presence on the forum.
    People would log in expecting tech support, or asking for something from marketing, and didn't realize that it was a user-support forum.

It is sad... there were some really good and helpful people there... hopefully those who are not already here find their way to us.

drew365, Stephen James, Ted J and 5 others like this.
  7. White Dog

White Dog Strat-Talk Member

@CB91710 was a valuable member at Fender Forums (in mine and several others opinion) if he doesn't want to blow his own whistle here (I don't mind to do it). Wealth of knowledge and highly regarded. Good to see you again! LOL! Same screen name, same avatar.

drew365, Nick Evans, ocean and 5 others like this.
  8. Namelyguitar

Namelyguitar Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

FMIC is all about money for new guitars, and not also helping with Fender guitars made in the past? :whistling:

Nick Evans, stratmatt777 and CB91710 like this.
  9. CB91710

Aw shucks....

Seriously, thank you.
    I'd also have to call out Retroverbial as one of the good guys... not sure if he's here or not.

10. zeedoctour

zeedoctour Strat-Talker

In this amplifier example... I'll be a dinosaur until I die. I will never buy a product that relies on the single manufacturer origin for software support, aka the Fuse fiasco.

I just found out a mate of mine's BMW does not have a dipstick nor can you buy one after market. You are not supposed to check the oil much less change it. BMW instructs that when the little light comes on in the instrument cluster you take it to the dealer.

Not going to happen to me, ever. I'll drive my no car payment cheap as chips Ford/Mercury sedan that never needs anything and which I can expect half a million miles out of (the well maintained drive train) until it or I is dead. It might outlive me even yet. And cost next to nothing while doing so.

I'll play my guitars through the tube amps with zero digital features until I can't buy tubes anymore. I hope this will be at least as long as I can continue to play. Maybe I'll get something solid state one day but it won't be a download/connect-to-stay-current deal maybe an original blues cube or something like that. Maybe. There's no way I'm going to be seduced into the "attach yourself financially to our insidious constant consumption manufacturing/marketing model for the rest of your life" world that the sun is rising over now.

Yeah I know .... "get off my lawn". But I'll be saying it while looking down the barrel of a model 1895 Marlin 45/70. Works great. A few small trees won't get in the way of it doing it's job. It will probably never malfunction for the rest of my life, and is simple to take care of.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2020
    Buzzin_Cousin, ocean and stratmatt777 like this.
  11. White Dog

Absolutely agree. They are "fairly" helpful IF they can identify your current equipment (guitar and amp) as long as it's not too old, too new, special run, decade specific (i.e.- red knob amps), Squire built without serial numbers, or anything that would make them get off their asses and research their own data base.
    Their "costumer service" ended long before their Forum closure.

Fender moto: "Why don't you just buy something".

ocean likes this.
  12. White Dog

I don't think he'll be here...he may surprise us, but he talked like he had other things in mind. I could be wrong.

13. Tone Guru

Tone Guru Senior Stratmaster

IMO, a general population social media user group will never be a suitable replacement for a dedicated specialized forum.
    But then I'm not on farceblech, so WTH do I know ?

For example, how does moderation manage ?
    Is it like the wildwild west of usenet ?

White Dog likes this.
  14. stratmatt777

stratmatt777 Strat-Talker

And a $1,200 stratocaster doesn't come with a hard case.
    Anyone sensing a theme here?
    Investors who only care about profit took over Fender (just like Boeing).

The forum is a feature provided to their valuable customers that creates no profit and costs a little money to provide.

It's just business.
    "If it don't make dollars, it don't make sense".

What is great is that this forum will still be here after Fender goes out of business when enough people get annoyed about Fender holding hostage 22nd frets, contoured heels, compound radius necks and hard cases ransom for a Deluxe Strat amount of $1,400.
    You can get those basic features on a $400 ESP LTD (not the compound radius neck and hard case).

Last edited: Mar 22, 2020
    KoreGeneral and FuzzFace90 like this.
  15. LawFlow

LawFlow Strat-Talk Member

It would be great to see Retroverbial (Arjay) here. He (& others) helped me fix my TRRI and it's still going strong 5 years later.

Nick Evans and CB91710 like this.
  16. CB91710

He really knows his stuff on vintage amps.
    It can be hard to troubleshoot with fuzzy photos, but he's seen so much that a basic description is often enough for him to know exactly where the problem is.

17. Stephen James

Stephen James Strat-Talker Vendor Member

Man, I wonder if there is a way for them to still make the forum archive available, that was a good source of info.. It is the stark reality that the words and references I rely on today are not eternal oceans of knowledge, but instead collected pools of wisdom that may dry up forever in the seasons to come..

Nick Evans, Namelyguitar and CB91710 like this.
  18. Mr C

Mr C Senior Stratmaster

It just goes to highlight that what is often perceived as public domain is in fact private and subject to nothing more than the whims if the owner. Folk who rely on fora and such as social mechanisms take note of how easily and quickly they can disappear. IRL is the future

Stephen James and CB91710 like this.
  19. hardwired

hardwired Strat-Talker

[​IMG]

20. fezz parka

fezz parka Duke of Dilligaf Strat-Talk Supporter

That explains all of the "new" members joining.:D

ocean and Nick Evans like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.