Join Strat-Talk Today

Fender GT40 Modeling Amp

Discussion in 'Amp Input - Normal or Bright' started by Guitarmageddon, Aug 7, 2019.

1. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

I just got home with it about an hour ago - but already it might be going back. I had planned on using this to listen to music etc through my computer while cleaning etc.....but when I use the line out to AUX in from my PC, I have an annoying ground loop / background hum that won't go away. I remember now when I used to try using headphones with my PC, it did it too.....

I also can't for the life of me understand how it works or how to edit effects and presets even after watching some youtube tutorials and reading the manual. I thought it was an AMP not a computer. I'm returning it on Friday.

2. Spats

Spats Strat-Talk Member

Can’t help with the hum, but I am very happy with mine. I just use one preset (called Clapton - Cocaine). I plug my iPad into the aux. Great for practicing in an apartment.

3. pj1440

pj1440 Strat-Talk Member

Don't know about the hum.
    Are you reading the quickstart manual or the extended manual? As I recall mine came only with the quickstart manual. I had to download the extended one which is much better. You basically use the 3 buttons to left of the knob to select what turning the knob does either changing actual preset, effects within a preset, or controls within an effect. Once you get he hang of it it's quite nice.

4. dippah

dippah Strat-Talk Member

The hum, especially if it happens with headphones, too, means that your computer, or rather the electrical installation it's plugged into, isn't grounded properly. You might mitigate that by using the USB cable, and playing through the USB, not the AUX cable but your mileage may vary.

As for the other part... Well, that's the thing. Modelling amps kinda are computers. A very specific-use computer, but a computer nonetheless. And to really get anything out of a modelling amp, you need the ability to tweak as much parameters as you can, until you hit the sweet spot and find a sound that you like. I don't think they're bad, I just think it's a different approach. Now, if you want something that sounds good as soon as you plug in, in a similar price range, Boss Katana is probably the way to go. You can tweak a lot of stuff, but you don't have to. The amp just sounds good.

Thrup'ny Bit likes this.
  5. Steven1145

Steven1145 Strat-Talker

Hum from the Pc often happens if it's a laptop. It's not grounded, hence the hum.

Sent from my Mate20Pro withTapatalk

Chont likes this.
  6. ProSonicLive

ProSonicLive Senior Stratmaster

I had a mustang II Liked its cleans and some overdrives...high gain was ...meh.
    I had heard the GT 40s had some "smells like cooking electronics" issues. I hope they got that ironed out.

7. Dadocaster

Dadocaster Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

I have posted this in just about every "bought a modeler, taking it back" thread: The factory installed patches are typically way over the top with regard to effects and are there to show you what the amp can do. You have to strip them down to the bare models and listen to those. The first hour or two that you try to use your modeling amp are total frustration and you will immediately want to take it back.

The learning curve tends to be pretty steep and most of us had to sleep on it, try again, and strip junk off patches to get to know the amp.

8. Steven1145

Steven1145 Strat-Talker

Also, look for great patches like the "in the blues" guy makes. Fender were quite happy to have a share site for those with the Mustang amps.
    A few of those have become my default ones.

Sent from my Mate20Pro withTapatalk

9. Silvercrow

Silvercrow Senior Stratmaster

Well-said and succinct!

I'll go further and say that it helps to have at least a basic knowledge of how a real tube amp works. On my Mustang IIIv2 when setting 'bias' and 'sag' for a couple of examples.

To the OP- as stated ANY modeler is basically a computer at heart. If you don't like to tweak, or are not at least willing to tweak to get your 'tone on', they are probably not the choice for you.

Fender went over the top on their factory pre-sets. Sounded kinda cheesy out of the box. Positive Grid Bias Head (my 'better' modeler) did the opposite- their factory presets were, for the most part, anemic and lifeless when I fist plugged it in. It wasn't until the next day when I hooked it into my PC and began to 'dial in' settings that wonderful tone appeared.

Best wishes in whatever you decide. You may want to check out the Fender Super Champ x2 for the 'better of both worlds'.

Brian

Chont likes this.
  10. Chont

Chont Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

11. rlongnt

rlongnt Strat-Talker

This is an old thread but I'll throw one thing out there for anyone that might find it later looking to kill the hum. I wondered how the GT40 might sound plugged into my old 2003 2x12 Ultimate Chorus DSP. I thought I might be able use the modeling power of the GT40 with the power of the larger amp. My old amp picks up 60 cycle hum pretty bad when nothing is grounded on the end of the cable but is dead quiet when I plug in my guitar, iPhone etc. but "ONLY" if the iPhone is running on battery which is how I figured out how to fix it. To make it work I bought a $9.00 3.5 mm ground loop isolator and a stereo 3.5 mm to mono 1/4" adapter so I could run a standard cable to my big amp and it all works perfectly with ZERO hum.

I have so much junk on my desk there is no telling where the 60 cycle hum was coming from "probably my old amp itself" but this instantly killed it.

I think the GT series headphone out may not be grounded/isolated as well as it should. A 3.5 mm ground loop isolator could also fix this going into a noisy PC. Keep in mind this thing has WiFi and Bluetooth potentially making noise too.

This setup is a lot of fun. I know a larger GT100 or GT200 would do what I want and if mobility was a real concern that's what I'd do but for under $20 I was able to do quite a bit with the gear I already had on hand & I can still use them individually for their original uses.

For me the GT40 helps keep the peace in my home. I can get the sound I want when I practice at night without the volume needed to get there with larger amps.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.