Fender Highway 1 Strat VS Player Series?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by valvestate, Nov 12, 2020.

Which Stratocaster?

1. Highway 1 Teal Green

90.9%
  2. Player Series Butterscotch/ Tidepool

9.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. GratefulDean

GratefulDean Strat-Talk Member

I have a player and love it. Tuners are great, not sure why yours isn’t staying in tune? One of the things I love about my Player is how it stays in tune even when I warble the vibrato. I can walk away from mine for 3 weeks (I recently took a chunk out of my index fretting finger prepping some carrots with a less-than-sharp knife about 3 weeks ago and just picked up my guitar for the first time last night and it was negligibly out of tune. What pickups are in the HW1? That may be the killer. What about the necks? Are they the same? How do they play?

Sorry, didn’t read all the responses above. Just jumped on the response...

3bolt79 likes this.
  2. 3bolt79

3bolt79 Most Honored Senior Member

HWY 1 all the way. The reason why the player won’t stay in tune is likely the nut. This would be addressed with a proper set up. But small headstock HWY 1’s aren’t too common these days. And the finish is Nitro. Not sure what electronics came in them, but I’ve played them when they were new at my now deceased friend’s music store. Love the neck on them and the hardware all the way.

‘I’ve also had a couple of players and wasn’t impressed. I sent them back.

3. Phiu-x

Phiu-x New Member!

What is so special about the sound of a nitro guitar. I mean I know the theory, but I though that myth has been busted years ago. Could someone really hear a difference ?

3bolt79 likes this.
  4. 3bolt79

3bolt79 Most Honored Senior Member

You might hear a difference when playing unplugged. But nitro wears out with nicer looking results than a polyester or poly urethane finish. It may hold it’s value better than a a guitar that chips and falls off with chunks. Jut because people think it’s more valuable/desirable because of nitro mystique. Those guitars were around the 600 mark they were new. But it is a better quality guitar IMO than the player.

5. West44th

West44th Strat-Talk Member

Just to throw two cents into the bucket. I picked up a used Highway one earlier this year. Its a 2003 and was very much an impulse buy which I have not regretted. I did some research afterwards and it`s a bit of a minefield as there seems to be a lot of confusion out there but here`s what I found.
    I won`t quote dates for any changes because this is off the top of my head.
    Early models had three single coils, small headstock, have an acrylic finish on the body and are alnico single coils possibly "vintage" based design. I measured them with a multimeter and are B 5.84 M 5.80 N 5.77K and have plastic bobbins. The body itself is routed HSS and has paint shielding in the cavities. There was a change to larger headstocks, hotter pickups and a nitro finish on the body for later models. I believe they changed over to a mexican string spacing from American spacing on the bridge at this time. These may have then become the road worn series. In between these variations they introduced some models with a large headstock and a humbucker bridge pickup. I don`t remember if it was finished with acrylic or nitro, nor anything about the pickups.
    It was my first Fender, first 9.5in radius neck, and the first satin finished neck I`ve actually liked. I love how it plays and sounds great. I wouldn`t hesitate to recommend trying one.
    Hopefully this might be of some help.

valvestate likes this.
  6. BigNorm

BigNorm Senior Stratmaster

no hesitation....the highway 1.

valvestate likes this.
  7. Andrew Wasson

Andrew Wasson Senior Stratmaster

highway 1 all the way. Small headstock, like new condition, nitro.

generally I do really like the new Player’s. They remind me of my 90’s Am Standard but the Highway 1 with the small headstock is a great guitar and hard to come by. You won’t regret it if you get it and you won’t find another if you don’t.

3bolt79 and valvestate like this.
  8. Phiu-x

Phiu-x New Member!

Ok, so if its about value I'll pass. :) Is this a generation thing ? I'm 42 and IMO my Player strat is the best strat I ever had It sound fantastic and inspire me to play everyday. I don't care about resale value because what's important is the now.

9. surfnturf

surfnturf Strat-Talk Member

That HW1 looks killer

valvestate and Andrew Wasson like this.
  10. slowesthand

slowesthand Senior Stratmaster

It is probably less confusing to refer to the string spacing as "narrow " and "wide" or "modern" and "vintage "

The Mexican Standards have the "modern narrow " spacing, but the majority of Mexican models have the wider spacing.
    In addition to the post 2006 Highway Ones having the narrow spacing the American Specials, Performers , Standards and Professionals also have the more modern narrow spacing.

Andrew Wasson likes this.
  11. valvestate

valvestate Strat-Talker

Not just value of course. It is Made In the U.S., it is very comparable in terms of quality with my American Elite. Edge were perfectly rolled, true single coil sounds, proper shielding inside, tuners are very stable.

Highway 1's are just very well made, it is a premium instrument for its price.

Oh ... I already purchased it by the way , it really rocks! https://www.strat-talk.com/threads/woohoo-fender-highway-1-teal-green.555930/

StummerJoe and onestratfornow like this.
  12. onestratfornow

onestratfornow Strat-Talk Member

Congrats! That is a beautiful guitar.

StummerJoe and valvestate like this.
  13. Mr Dunlop

Mr Dunlop Senior Stratmaster

Early fender highway one had acrylic finish.

StummerJoe likes this.
  14. Phiu-x

Phiu-x New Member!

Congrats!

valvestate likes this.
  15. West44th

Fair point, in my defence it was late and had more than a couple of vodkas on board lol

StummerJoe likes this.
  16. slowesthand

slowesthand Senior Stratmaster

Mine was late too, but I only had one beer at that point.:D

West44th likes this.
  17. West44th

That explains it :thumb:

18. edro

edro Strat-Talk Member

Pretty much a budget but a well made guitar, the H1. Blank neck plate, basic utility paint job, but the build quality is way up there IMHO.... Hangs with whatever the Fender flagship model name of the month....just not fancy decoration... Mine, being an 02, doesn't have the greasebucket... Love it just the way it is...

valvestate likes this.
  19. Baelzebub

Baelzebub Senior Stratmaster

Someone posted a CL listing in Portland area for a small headstock first year Hwy1 for $1000. If you can get one for $650 I'd take it.

20. Baelzebub

Baelzebub Senior Stratmaster

I'd also say that you will be able to get a Player anytime and used, for much less. I don't think the same could be said for the HWY1. An you'll have another birthday next year....

StummerJoe and valvestate like this.