Fender Highway 1 Strat VS Player Series?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by valvestate, Nov 12, 2020.

Which Stratocaster?

1. Highway 1 Teal Green

90.9%
  2. Player Series Butterscotch/ Tidepool

9.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. valvestate

valvestate Strat-Talker

Another next year, you got that right! Man, i am feeling old. ;)

Good point with the Players that I can easily biy it again when I want it. I should just know how to sneak it in our apartment with wife not knowing it. :D:p

Baelzebub likes this.
  2. valvestate

valvestate Strat-Talker

Cool. Was it also in great condition
    ?

3. Baelzebub

Baelzebub Senior Stratmaster

Appeared to be...can't find the thread now, but my recollection is that it didn't have anything major visibly wrong with it.

valvestate likes this.
  4. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Dr. Stratster

There is nothing wrong with the tuners on the Player Series - the guitar you were looking at was horribly setup, I can see the bridge lifting up, the string tension isn't balanced and it's not setup. The Highway 1 has the bridge decked. This is why we should never judge guitars in the store on how they play / are setup / keep in tune. The better deal is the Highway 1 for sure....

Even a $100 Squier stays in tune....it's all a matter of knowing how to keep it in tune.....

5. valvestate

valvestate Strat-Talker

I agree that it could be setup but I tried 3 - 4 different guitars , action seems to be setup well, plays good but some just won't stay in tune even for minimal bending.

Watch this and see what I'm trying to say... the guy even replaced the string trees and same issue. Skip to 13:44, mind that he was 'paid' by Fender and still he believes that it just won't stay in tune.

But yes he further advised that the bridge need to be decked, replace to bone nut, change to locking tuners, etc... but I feel that it will just further drive up the initial cost ... then I would just save up for an American Professional II.

Stratafied likes this.
  6. Stratafied

Stratafied Senior Stratmaster

Buy an excellent condition American standard for a couple hundred more, great guitars.

7. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Dr. Stratster

It's a matter of setup, lubrication, string stretching....I've never had a guitar that wouldn't stay in tune...in my life....and I've had super cheap copies with bad tuners too.....

'just won't stay in tune' is never true for any electric guitar, unless you can't set intonation properly due to a flaw in design, etc....

In that guy's video, the 2 stud screws are too tight to the body, impeding the bridge from traveling properly...a 2 point bridge is supposed to be set floating but level / parallel to the body, just slightly elevated - a bit like a Floyd Rose. Not higher in the back than the front, and he admits he didn't lubricate the nut or string tree. Also just before, he talks about setups - and paying to get one done or asking for it. This guy has a ton of knowledge with playing, effects, gear, it's very strange he's so lacking in basic setup knowledge. It's user error, not the guitar....

Andrew Wasson likes this.
  8. Andrew Wasson

Andrew Wasson Senior Stratmaster

@Guitarmageddon is correct. it’s all in the setup and it really isn’t that difficult but whoever is doing it needs to understand what causes tuning issues and how to resolve them. I’ve had 4 Strats and a couple of non-fender tremolo equipped guitars and Ive never had a problem holding tune.

My American Standard and my Classic Player are 2-point bridges. No problem. My Eric Johnson and my cheapie MIM Squier Series are vintage 6-screw equipped models and also have zero tuning problems. All of my Strats have vintage split tuners (I sold the Am Standard). 99.99% of the time, the tuning issue is that the nut is binding and the string catches when you depress and return the bar. Whenever I change strings, I lube the pivot points and I lube the nut. Never had a tuning issue since regardless of whether it’s my pricey American Strat, my cheap MIM one or the midrange one. They’re solid.

EDIT: I see @Guitarmageddon identified the issue being the studs too low. That makes sense. It’s always something mechanical impeding travel or binding.

valvestate and Guitarmageddon like this.
  9. systolsys

systolsys Strat-Talk Member

Get it. I love green guitars... and they're few and far between. As stated elsewhere, there are plenty of Player strats on the used market, and once Covid is over, there is going to be even more.

There is nothing wrong with the stock MIM Fender tuners. I've dealt with crappy chinese made tuners that slip and wobble. This is not them.

This gets back to the whole "locking tuners help stability" thing. No, locking tuners help fast string changes, and save having to put a few wraps around the post.

But then, I know people who still take their guitars back to the shop for string changes, so YMMV. Bonus points for people who "upgrade" their tuners to locking on Floyd Rose guitars, and then lock the nut down. ARGGH.

With regards to your Player series experience: Either the strings are new and still stretching or, more likely as mentioned above, it's gripping at the nut. Neither of these problems will be fixed with different tuners.

valvestate and Guitarmageddon like this.